Author Topic: Looking for any info on Thomas Goodsir Master Mariner of Scarborough  (Read 16806 times)

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for any info on Thomas Goodsir Master Mariner of Scarborough
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 02 March 13 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello Hanes Teulu

OH - - - - - -!!!
Thanks for finding that for me as I had no idea where to search next, think that must be Scroby Sand, if it's off Yarmouth, knew that area quite well when I was Coasting many years ago. I assume all hands were lost, must have been a very bad one, as he was an experienced Skipper and wasn't one to take chances as far as can be seen, by his dodging into the 'Downs' when it was rough in April the year before, does the paper give any further details?

Best

John
Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)
Macaire. Eusebe. Boitel. Beaulieu. Gordon. Tillman. Fear. Wood.
 ( London/ Middlesex & Devon )

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 02 March 13 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Sillgen
Don't think it is necessary to start another post, as thanks to Hanes Teulu I now have the answer, From Shields to London, maybe they were carrying Coal, and that is a cargo that could shift easily I would think in those days.
Was on the North East coast collier trade myself and know just how rough the north sea can be.

Don't know how I would find out who was actually lost ( for example was his wife aboard on that trip?)

Best

John
Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 03 March 13 05:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello John,

Erm ... that newspaper article says "The Transfer, of Scarborough, late Goodser" which suggests that Goodsir was *not* the master on that voyage and the paper didn't know who was.

Erm again ... newspapers then as now weren't entirely accurate. Anchor, chain and longboat were picked up and TRANSFER is supposed to have been lost. But was she really or did she eventually come ashore and be repaired and back into business, but not registered with Lloyd's any longer?

The queer thing is, you see, that there is a Record of Service on Ancestry for a Thomas Goodsir, born 27 April, 1804 at Abbotshall, Fife and he says that he was an apprentice on TRANSFER from March 1824 to November 1828.

Have you looked at the merchant seamen records on Ancestry and FindMyPast? You can get Ancestry free at many public libraries. They have the Masters and Mates database. (Tip: Be sure to use the scroll arrows both backward and forward from the initial hit to be sure of getting all the pages in his file. There are three images for that Thomas Goodsir.)

But even better for your time period are the merchant seamen records at FindMyPast especially if your Thomas was still at sea 1835-1836 because FindMyPast has National Archives file BT 120 which amounts to a census of seamen. If your man is in that file, you'll get a vessel name, his rank aboard and a specific date. It would be worth your while to buy a few credits there.

Here is a link to online volumes of Lloyd's Register of Shipping:
http://www.maritimearchives.co.uk/lloyds-register.html

They are searchable. There is a column for Masters' names and Goodsir is just short enough to fit the alloted space. There is also a column for Owners' names, but Cornwall will probably be truncated to Crnwll. Have a look at the 1824 volume, where you know he is listed, first, to get an understanding of the format, then trawl them all.

Cheers,
Westoe

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 03 March 13 08:48 GMT (UK) »
Westoe,
Thanks for clarifying "late Goodser" - found it unusual, couldn't recall seeing it in that context before.

Morning Post
Ship News
12 Nov 1825 - The Transfer, of Scarborough, was lost on the Scroby Sand on Tuesday night
16 Nov 1825 - The Two Sisters, Fleming, picked up on Wednesday morning, off Haisborough, a long boat, marked "Transfer of Scarborough, Thomas Goodsir" and on Thursday morning was compelled to cut her away, in consequence of its coming on to blow very heavy.

I can find mention of an "Eleanor/a, Goodsir" in 1826/27 (no first name)

Recall seeing mention of the arrival of "Transfer, from Labrador" late November 1825.

Yet to check FindMyPast.

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 03 March 13 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Since the Newspaper report seems to be sometime after the Lloyd's entry I took 'Late' to mean dead, what think you?

Best

John

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 03 March 13 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Transfer 11/10/1803

Transfer of Scarborough 11/11/1825
'Transfer of Scarborough' Lost on Scroby Sand Off Great Yarmouth only Anchor and part cable   saved

Transfer 29/04/1834 
 Transfer 12/05/1835 
 Transfer 19/06/1835

From Lloyd's List The other 'Transfer' seems to be a deep sea vessel, and  I note that they have specifically mentioned 'Scarborough'.

Think the appentice would be on the deep sea vessel, and when Thomas married Tammy she was about 40 yrs old.

Thank you for all the links, will re dig and see if I can find different. Never thought researching would be so difficult or interesting.

Thanks again

Best John

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 03 March 13 10:21 GMT (UK) »
I take "late Goodser" to be "the late Captain Goodser".

Couldn't find anything on FindMyPast that "fitted".

If only the Bury and Norwich report on 23 Nov 1825 had been as specific as an earlier report in that paper on 4 Jan 1804 -
"The Pursuit, Goodsir, of Scarborough from London to the Baltic Sea, is on shore about 17 miles North of Aberdeen:- the master and three of the crew drowned.

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 03 March 13 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Well there do appear to be a lot of Goodsirs around (think it was a big Scottish family in origin) at least that one is not ours as he Married Tammy in 1822. In those days did they have the equivalent of the ' Eng 2 'which recorded all on board, do you know?  Transfer was a Brig of only 142 tons, so can't think how big a crew they might have had ?

Best

John

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 03 March 13 13:47 GMT (UK) »
The ship 'Transfer' appearing in 1834 & 1835  is not the same 'Transfer' as Goodsir's, in fact it is a Brig _but of 173 Tons and Registered London - Master - Wakeham. When I next get to U.K. will try the 1841 Census as if she was not onboard then Tammy (Thomasin) Goodsir should be on that somewhere, have an Idea someone had found her in the Medway area, sometime ago, but at the time it just didn't fit, maybe it would this time.
Back to the Wreck if all were lost, surely some must have been washed up  somewhere and buried?

Best

John