Author Topic: HARDWELL in Somerset pre 1763 - Help please  (Read 1478 times)

Offline Discoveringmypast

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HARDWELL in Somerset pre 1763 - Help please
« on: Saturday 02 March 13 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Is anyone able to help with 'Hardwell' family history in the Somerset area pre 1763?  (I’m more than happy to share the info that I’ve found.)

I’ve been searching parish records online to see how far back I can go with my family name of Hardwell.  Thought it would be interesting to try to see where it ‘travelled’ before 1763 and I also wanted to try to go further back than my 5 x grandfather, Joel Hardwell.

Joel is the oldest ancestor I know for certain in this line.  I have plenty of details and records from 1763 onwards after Joel married Elizabeth Baker in Kingston St Mary but I haven’t been able to find his (or Elizabeth’s) baptism records, so no earlier records.

Post 1763 records are:
Joel and Elizabeth had 9 children who were all baptised in Kingston St Mary.

Their son William (my 4 x great grandfather) married Mary Drayton 1795, also in Kingston St Mary, where they appeared to have stayed as all 8 children were baptised there.

Their son Henry (my 3 x great grandfather) changed things a bit by marrying Mary Slade in Temple Church, Bristol 16 Oct 1821.  However they settled in Stanton Drew as 8 of their children were baptised there up to 1833, except the youngest, Henry, who was baptised in Chew Magna 1836.  This was where they were recorded as living in the 1841 census.

It would have been after 1841 that my direct Hardwell line ended up in Bristol as my 3 x great grandfather Henry was buried in 1869, St John’s Church, Bedminster.  Also all my Hardwell great grandparents, married, lived and worked in Bedminster or Bristol after this.

Prior to 1763:
I have found over 60 Hardwells - the earliest record being the 1561 marriage of William Hardwell to Agnes, St Andrew’s Church Congresbury.

From 1561 to 1763 the trail of Hardwell births and marriages are recorded in these places:

Backwell, Wedmore, Cannington, Loxton, Portbury, Puxton, Churchill, Henbury, Axbridge, Wick St Lawrence, Huntspill, Winscombe, Weare, Shipham, Kewstoke, Barrow Guerney, Wrington, West Harptree, Corfe, Orchard Portman, Bath, Brent, Taunton ..................then Kingston St Mary where Joel turned up!!!

Having found so many Hardwell records I would love to be able to link Joel (and myself) to earlier ancestors.  Can anyone help or offer advice please?

Many thanks and kind regards
Sue

Offline bwcw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: HARDWELL in Somerset pre 1763 - Help please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 13:27 BST (UK) »
Hi, im a direct descendant of Joel Hardwell, we must be related :-) my Gran was bornLilly Hardwell, i could only go back to Joel Hardwell when i searched, be good to here from you, my great grandfather was William Hardwell who married emily morse, he committed suicide on railway sidings in 1904. I have picture of his brother that i found on the Internet. Would be interesting to see what you have found out and compare notes, i know they came from stanton drew and chew magna. Look forward to hearing from you if you are still active on here. My name is Betty. Kind regards.
Hardwell, ball, cole

Offline bwcw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: HARDWELL in Somerset pre 1763 - Help please
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 August 17 13:53 BST (UK) »
Joel Hardwell was born in 1740 Corfe somerset, i cant find beyond that.
Hardwell, ball, cole