Author Topic: Skelton cemeteries  (Read 10362 times)

Offline TomFE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Skelton cemeteries
« on: Monday 06 June 05 14:28 BST (UK) »
Are there any indexes of the church cemeteries in Skelton in Cleveland? I know there is an older and a newer All Saints church.  I am looking for WILKINSON, DIXON and possibly PYBUS though I think the Pybus's are all in Liverton's church. Any information and, dare I ask, transcriptions or photographs of headstones with these names, would be most appreciated.  Tom Wilkinson

Offline lornajayne

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Skelton cemeteries
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 June 05 18:14 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have a copy of Monumental Inscriptions for All Saints, Skelton - but it is on loan to a friend at the moment!  I will have a look for those names when I get chance.

I also have some Pybus born Skelton but ended up as Dairymen in Marske and Redcar - any connection?
cheers
Lorna Jayne

Please note that this member is no longer contactable, please do not try and PM because they are being returned to RootsChat 2015
Teasdale, Proud, Whitfield, Callender, Cubitt, Braham, Kennedy, Christon, Harrison

Offline coffers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 June 05 09:29 BST (UK) »
Sorry I can't help with the lookup, but the Cleveland FHS have a number of publications that may be of help: Here's a link to their list of Monumental Inscription booklets that are available for purchase: http://www.clevelandfhs.org.uk/monumental.rtf, Skelton and Liverton church's are included in the list.

This is a link to the Parish Registers that the society have available: http://www.clevelandfhs.org.uk/parish%20register.rtf

To see other available publications have a look at this link: http://www.clevelandfhs.org.uk/Publications.htm

Regards,
Mike.

PS, I have the copies of the transcribed index to the marriage registers for St Germaine/St Mark's in Marske and St Peters in Redcar, so if you want a name looking up in either of those just let me know.
BAKER (Redcar,  Brotton & Stainton),
CLARK (Marske & South Shields),
FLAVELL (North Ormesby YKS, Dudley, Sedgley & Gornal Wood),
GIBSON (Middlesbrough),
GOTTS (Loftus YKS, Swaffham & Castle Acre ),
HARRINGTON (Middlesbrough, Oldham? & Ireland),
KING (Redcar & Whitchurch HANTS),
LAWLER (Middlesbrough, Bradford & Ireland)
MORTIMER (Whitchurch HANTS),
TERRY (Middlesbrough, Northbourne KENT),
THOMPSON (Middlesbrough)
ROBINSON (Marske-in-Cleveland, Kelloe & Liverpool)

Offline lornajayne

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 June 05 23:25 BST (UK) »
Hi
Here are the names you wanted from Skelton Cemetery - Memorial Inscriptions - hope you find something useful!
M.I’s SKELTON

DIXON

Row13 No. 210 – Sandstone headstone. Sacred to the memory of ANN the wife of THOMAS DIXON who departed this life on the 3rd Sept 1799 aged 40 years. “Beneath this turf of grass doth sleep a friend for whom her kindred weep. A wife she was of gentle mind, industrious, faithful, pious, kind. A mother too of children dear whom she trained up in Godly fear. She taught the Lord with heart…… (rest illegible). Also the above THOMAS DIXON who died Jan 7th 1827 aged 77 years.

Row 32 no. 323. Sandstone Headstone. Here lieth MARY the wife of WILLIAM DIXON who died June 25th 1769 aged 35 years. WILLIAM DIXON died May 23rd 1799 aged 72 years.

Row 32 No 324. Sandstone headstone. To the memory of WILLIAM b who departed this life Sept 13th 1945 aged 81 years, also ALICE the wife of the above WILLIAM  DIXON who  died Feb 15th   1839 aged 77 years and CATHERINE ELIZABETH daughter of WILLIAM and ALICE DIXON who died August 10th 184= aged 21 years, also ANN their daughter who died in London  May 8th and was buried there aged 22 years.

Row 32 No. 325. Sandstone headstone. To the memory of ELIZABETH DIXON who departed this life January 21st 1814 aged =4 years.

Row 32 No. 326. Sandstone headstone. Here lyeth ye body of  GEORGE DIXON who departed this life May  ye 8th 1747.

Row 33 No. 344. Sandstone headstone. In memory of LEONARD DIXON who died Sept 18th 1812 aged 44 years, also MARY daughter of LEONARD and HANNAH b who died July 2nd 1888 aged 93 years.

Row 33 No 345. Sandstone headstone. In memory of BRIDGET the wife of JAMES b who died April the 15th 1789 aged 28 years, also JAMES DIXON who died Aug the 26th 1815 aged 50 years, also LEONARD their son who died Sept 15th 1842 aged 44 years.

Row 33 No. 348. Sandstone headstone. In memory of JANE the wife of GEORGE DIXON who died December 31st 1847 aged == years, also JOHN their son who died April 2nd 1814 aged (illegible).

Row 39 No. 422. Marble headstone. In memory of WATSON DIXON of Marton who departed this life Oct 4th 1873 aged 53 years, also JANE his wife who departed this life January 16th 1875 aged 55 years.

PYBUS

Row 14 No. 225. Sandstone headstone. In memory of MARY b the wife of JOHN PYBUS who died January 4th 1842 aged 53 years, also GEORGE their son who died in his infancy, also (rest illegible).

Row 14 No. 228.  Sandstone headstone. Erected in memory of GEORGE the son of JOHN and ===== who died the 16th of November ==== 27 years, also MARY (illegible)  == 11th July (illegible). Likewise JOHN PYBUS who died Dec the 14th 1830 aged 51 years.

Row 14 No. 229. Sandstone headstone. Near this lyeth ye body of JOHN PYBUS who died Feb ye 16th 1721 aged 61. Here lyeth ye body of JANE ye wife of JOHN PYBUS who died April ye 8th 1748 aged 82.

WILKINSON

Row 5 No. 85. Sandstone headstone. Here lieds the body of JOHN b who departed this life March 21st 1757 aged 54 years. REVERSE Here lyeth the body of JOHN WILKINSON who departed this life ---- --- 1720.

ROW 11 No. 177. Fallen stone originally on two pillars. 1637 W.T. Sacred (illegible) ROBERT * 1799, MARGARET (most of this stone is illegible).

Row 12 No. 197. Sandstone headstone. In memory of MARY the wife of WILLIAM WILKINSON who died June 5th 1864 aged 70 years, also the above WILLIAM WILKINSON who died May 7th 1875 aged 68 years.

Row 15 No. 237. Sandstone headstone. Erected to the memory of JOHN the son of ROBERT & ELIZABETH WILKINSON who died July == 1821 aged 15 years. JANE their daughter who died June 21st 1823 aged 13 years also ===== ROBERT their son who died ===== 20 1826 aged 20 years

Row 34 No. 361. Sandstone headstone. In loving memory of JOHN WILKINSON of Lingdale Farm died Feb 16th 1904 aged 83 years, also MARY ANN wife of the above who died May 10th 1891 aged 67 years, also ELIZABETH daughter of the above died Nov 19th 1863 aged 6 years, also b son of the above died Nov 25th 1863 aged 8 years.

Row 34 No. 362. Sandstone headstone. In affectionate remembrance of WILLIAM b of Skelton who died Feb 5th 1870 aged 81 years, also SARAH his wife who died May 28th 1878 aged 81 years, also BRIDGET their daughter who died April 24th 1848 aged 30 years, also ELIZABETH who died March 23rd 1865 aged 35 years, also SARAH who died January 5th 1857 aged 21 years, also JAMES their son who died July 4yh 1844 aged 21 years.

cheers
Jayne :D

Teasdale, Proud, Whitfield, Callender, Cubitt, Braham, Kennedy, Christon, Harrison

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 June 05 10:03 BST (UK) »
Jayne,

I was recently in the area of Skelton and went to All Saints to look up some MIs for a friend but there didn't appear to be a churchyard.  Obviously I wasn't looking in the right place!

Then I came across your message and wondered if you could possibly see if there are any MIs for TANNs for me, in particular Charles (b. 1848) and Susan (b. 1840)?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Pinetree
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RedFox

• RootsChat Member
  • One of Many Family Lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 June 05 23:43 BST (UK) »
If I understand the geography right, Skelton is Skelton-by-Cleveland near the sea.  Many of my DAWE ancestors lived in that area.  Other places I've seen on census records are Guisbro' (the district?), Brotton, Marske, Saltburn.

One relation, Johanna Bawden Dawe, is buried in St. Margaret, an Anglican church in Brotton.  She died abt. 1878. 

Her son, Richard Bawden Dawe, appeared in the 1901 census in Saltburn so possibly he's buried there.  His wife, Jane Leming Dawe, is listed as having died abt. 1888 and registered in Guisbro'.  I don't know where she's buried.

Would love to find out where Richard and some of his children might be buried.    Thanks, RedFox
CUMLD: Davidson, Robson, Atkinson, Blackburn,  Wilkinson, Mumberson, Milburn
CRNWL:  Dawe, Bawden, Leming
CHES: Heginbotham
YRK:  Dawe, Jackson, Ranson, Leming
LANC:  Dawe, Harris, Thomas, Bellamy or Billany, Bayliff, Madsen
EAST SSX:  Etchingham - Woolgar
SCT: RXB-Robson, REN & LNK-Lisle/Lyle/Leill, Taylor, Masson
WALES: Dawe
USA:  MI - Dawe, Stringer, Lisle, Robson, Davidson, Mills, Handy, Betzner, Leeper, Fankboner, Ross, Lyle
IRE: Bell, Prestley/Priestley
GER: Wuerttemberg - Betz

Offline Pinetree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 June 05 09:43 BST (UK) »
Red Fox,

I found this buriel that looks like it is one of yours:

1. Name Richard James Bowden DAWE Date 2 Jun 1876 Aged 18m Place Brotton Description St Margaret Denomination Anglican County code NRY

But couldn't see a Richard Dawe after 1901 or Jane around 1888.

Pinetree

Offline RedFox

• RootsChat Member
  • One of Many Family Lines
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 June 05 22:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Pinetree.  That sounds like a baby.  Richard's father was James.  I have a question in my family history that a baby by the name Richard may have existed. 

Richard Bawden Dawe, my GGGGF, definitely died after 1901.  I found Jane's death initially on FreeBMD, but also on Family History Online.  That's where I got the name of the church.  I always thought they were CofE.  I know my grandmother was.

I appreciate you're letting me know.  RedFox
CUMLD: Davidson, Robson, Atkinson, Blackburn,  Wilkinson, Mumberson, Milburn
CRNWL:  Dawe, Bawden, Leming
CHES: Heginbotham
YRK:  Dawe, Jackson, Ranson, Leming
LANC:  Dawe, Harris, Thomas, Bellamy or Billany, Bayliff, Madsen
EAST SSX:  Etchingham - Woolgar
SCT: RXB-Robson, REN & LNK-Lisle/Lyle/Leill, Taylor, Masson
WALES: Dawe
USA:  MI - Dawe, Stringer, Lisle, Robson, Davidson, Mills, Handy, Betzner, Leeper, Fankboner, Ross, Lyle
IRE: Bell, Prestley/Priestley
GER: Wuerttemberg - Betz

Offline RuthieB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 June 05 11:04 BST (UK) »
Hi! I used to live in Skelton though am now resident in Wales. There are two churches in Skelton, the old one is nearer the castle and the newer one in the High Street. There's an interesting story attached to why there are two churches if you want to hear it
There is also a Wesleyan Chapel. I can't for the life of me think where the cemetery is, but have a street map I could look up and check.
St Margaret's is the Anglican/CofE church in the neighbouring parish of Brotton.
Cheers, RuthieB
Jones, Mantle; Radnorshire
Russell, Stonehouse, Agar; Yorkshire/Durham
Brown, Fair; Durham,  
Little, Cumberland
Morris, Woolley, Owens; Montgomeryshire.