Author Topic: Stoneleigh mansion/ Hume family Tunbridge Wells,Kent  (Read 2366 times)

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stoneleigh mansion/ Hume family Tunbridge Wells,Kent
« on: Saturday 09 March 13 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Im researching the history of the "Stoneleigh" mansion on Langton Road,Tunbridge Wells and all of its occipants, at least until WW II era. Appears the manion was built in the 1870's. First occupied by John Stone Wigg(1827-1897) the first Mayor of Tunbridge Wells; occuped next by wealthy banker Roger Cunliffe(1822-1891) and his family from about 1880 to 1891.Next occupied by Robert Muler Stewart(1831-1908).Stewart married Elizabeth Hume 1866 at Brisbane,Queesland. Elizabeth was born 1822 Hertfordshire (need all inforamtion about her parents/siblings).Elizabeth's first husband was scottish poet Alexander Hume (1809-1851).Need confirmation of names dates etc for the children of Elizabeth and Alexander Hume. One child of hers I know was was Walter who married 1866 Anna Kate Fowler.Other children possibly Washington,Elizabeth and Marian.I have Robert Muler Stewart's family information but would like to know more about his life in Australia. All I know is that he was a member of the Queensland Legislative Assembly for the electorate of Brisbane City. Want to know when and where Elizabeth (Hume) Stewart died.
Next occupant of "Stoneleigh" was Alexander Hasop Leigh(1854-1932), a wealthy stockbroker and his family Dont need any infor about him. Need all information about "Stoneleigh" and its occupants after 1913. "Stoneleigh" today I believe is called "Rusthall Place".Cant seem to find the name "Stoneleigh" in any directories after 1913-please help wuth this inquiry. Anyone have any photos to share of the mansion and its occupants? .

Offline chardonnay69

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Stoneleigh mansion/ Hume family Tunbridge Wells,Kent
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 May 15 09:30 BST (UK) »
Hi

My ancestor Robert Muter Stewart lived at Stoneleigh. I'm not sure of the exact dates. He died in 1908.  I have further family information if you are interested.
Do you have any photographs of the property ? I have some photos of him and possible some pictures of the property. I'd be very happy to exchange further information/ photographs with you.

Kinds regards
Paul Stewart

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 May 15 11:26 BST (UK) »
To Paul Stewart

In 2013 I wrote an article about the history of "Stoneleigh" and in that I have a section about its occupancy by your relative Robert Muler (not Muter) Stewart (1831-1908). He had been in Australia but when he retired he came to England and settled at Stoneleigh. He is found there in the 1901 census and in a 1903 directory but his death on Sept. 17,1908 was registered in Sussex.

I have about a dozen photos of the building but none of the Stewart family which I would be very greatful in receiving particularly a photo of Robert and his wife, but photos of any of the family that lived there would be appreciated. I can send you the photos I have. You may have some photos of the house that I don't have so I would like to see what you have that is different to what I have.

If interested send me your email address by "Personal Message" from this site. If you don't know how to do it just reply to this message online and I will send you a "personal message" with my email address so you can contact me confidentially.

Offline chardonnay69

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 May 15 23:01 BST (UK) »
Hi

Thanks so much for your reply. Apologies but I couldnt quite work out how to send a personal message (I'm new to roots web), but if you can send me one with your email address I will send you the photo's I have. I have 6 of the house (they may be the same as yours). Included is a picture of Robert's wife, Elizabeth Hume Stewart. I also have a couple of extra picturesof Robert. His middel name was Muter. I can also send your the parish register entry for his birth if you wish.  You also might find the following interesting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Stewart_(Australian_politician)
http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/36910079

What is your interest in the house ? Did you have an ancestor live there ? Do you know if it is still standing ?

Kind regards
Paul