Author Topic: Mary DAWE  (Read 3061 times)

Offline chieflx

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary DAWE
« on: Sunday 10 March 13 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I wonder if anyone might be able to help with any information about two ladies called Mary DAWE.

My paternal 2nd Great Grandmother was Mary DAWE b. about 1818 in Tavistock  according to census information and her father was John DAWE. She married William RUSSELL on 6 January 1840 in Stoke Damerel. By 1860 the family had moved to Bodmin where Mary died of T.B. on 5 February 1860. I am trying to find her mother and a baptism record. Family 'legend' gives her mother as Elizabeth LEE but I can not find any corroborating evidence.

The other Mary DAWE I am trying to find is just as elusive. This Mary is my 4th Maternal grandmother and was born circa. 1793 in either Ermington or Harford. She Married Samuel SMITH on 16 October 1812 in Harford and died 1861 in Ugborough and was buried in Harford on the 5 March 1861. I am trying to find anything relating to her birth and parents.

I have tried finding both in the parish records held in Plymouth and West Devon Records Office but without success any help/ suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks
Rob
Luscombe, Russell, Pepperell, Crichton & Anton.  Areas include Scotland, Devon and Germany but the Russell side has spread over most of the UK

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Dawe
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 March 13 11:37 GMT (UK) »
There is a baptism that matches the date but mother is not an Elizabeth.

Mary Dawe b.28/8/1817, bp.7/9/1817 Brook St. Independent, Tavistock dau. of John and Ann.

John Daw and Ann Parkhouse married 26/2/1804 Tavistock.

(There was a John and Elizabeth having children baptised 1800 to 1809 but she wasn't a Lee - she was an Elizabeth Nickells and they married 2/2/1796 Tavistock).

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chieflx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 March 13 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annette,

Thank you for the quick reply. I had looked at that entry as it seems to fit some of the facts i.e. year and place but I discounted it because I could not find any evidence of a Mary DAWE moving to Stoke Damerel. The other thing that makes me think she might be a different Mary is that family 'legend' saying her mother was Elizabeth LEE. There was a John DAWE who married Elizabeth LEE in Stoke Damerel on 20 December 1810. This could be in the right time frame and place , but I have not found any children of the couple.

So I am not sure what to think about either sets of records :) I guess I'll have to keep looking for some definitive proof of which one.

Once again many thanks for the reply
Rob
Luscombe, Russell, Pepperell, Crichton & Anton.  Areas include Scotland, Devon and Germany but the Russell side has spread over most of the UK

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 March 13 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Just poking in the censuses ...

In 1841, 1851 and 1861 there is a John Dawe born in Tavistock c1788-1793 living in Bridestowe with wife Johanna (he is a huntsman). However, she is a decade younger than him and I wondered whether she might be a second wife.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N2G4-6Y2

John Dawe + Johanna Tarthewey, 24 Dec 1828, Stoke Damerel

That might not be them, especially given that the marriage was in Stoke Damerel, but Johanna is not that common a name.

The Stoke Damerel location might even suggest a connection with your Mary Dawe c1818 who married there, and with the earlier John Dawe + Elizabeth Lee marriage there. That would all involve a fair bit of trucking back and forth from Stoke Damerel to Tavistock of course!

Just something to mull. ;)
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline Hemmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 March 13 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rob
Will try to help and add my two pennyworth!

You say;
Mary DAWE b. about 1793 in either Ermington or Harford married Samuel SMITH on 16 October 1812 in Harford
(on the marriage by banns both otp both made their mark witness James Elliot and Sarah Cove make their marks)
Mary died 1861 in Ugborough
(all in the Ivybridge area). These areas are well away from the Plymouth and Tavistock but many people migrated to Plymouth to work in the Dockyards.
For Dockyard workers try
Plymouth Dock Artificiers
http://genuki.cs.ncl.ac.uk/DEV/Plymouth/PlymouthArtificers/
Or try a search at National Archives
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI

If Mary Jnr was the d of John Dawe do you have his baptism and where do you believe he was baptised? How is he linked to Mary Snr?

family 'legend' saying her mother was Elizabeth LEE

John Dawe married Elizabeth Lee 20 Dec 1810 Stoke Damerel, Plymouth. John Dawe was a Labourer in the Dockyard and Elizabeth a Spinster. They both signed, the witness were; Thomas LEE (her ?brother ?father) who signed and Wm Roberts who also signed other marriages on the page so perhaps a parish clerk.

On Mary Dawe’s 1840 marriage certificate her father was John a Labourer both were living 30 Fore Street. Stonehouse (Plymouth).  Mary and William both made their mark. The witnesses witnessed most of the marriages so not family. 

Where was Mary Russell in 1841?

John Dawe + Johanna Tarthewey, 24 Dec 1828, Stoke Damerel

John Dawe was a widower when he married Johanna Tarthewey he signed she made her mark. Witness John Bass Boon and John Lyne.

BUT looking at the signatures JD and who married Elizabeth LEE previously may have married Mary Hocking in 1807 in Plymouth. This JD was also a labourer in the Dockyard the signatures are very similar.

There are also two other marriages in Plymouth of JD to:
 A Elizabeth Burgoyne in 1825 and to a Betty Sloggett in 1827. (no occupation or status given on certificate) These signatures look a bit more confident than the Lee and Hocking marriage but there other other JD’s also marrying in the area who could have been the widower who married Johanna. The originals are available on FindMyPast and need a bit of studying.

Hope this helps

Offline chieflx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 March 13 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hemmum & JaneyCanuck

Sorry it has taken me so long to drop a note saying thank you for your thoughts (computer has been a bit temperamental).

Thank you both for the information and for linking up so well. It is something I am going to have to research in to a bit more but I am hopeful of solving the various conundrums eventually. It is difficult having two women with the same name on opposite branches of the family as I get confused as to which one is related to which sibling and/or parent but I am getting there.

Once again thank you for the insights,

All the best
Rob

Offline Hemmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 March 13 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rob
Thank you for saying 'thank you'
Two Mary Dawes on different branches. Tell me about it. I have the same problem with my Crossman and Jago families in Devon. If only they could have used some imagination when naming their children. There were no Chardonay or Bianca's then! One useful thing can be useful to separate the families is the tradition of using a maternal surname for a given name for a child. There is a search available in for Stoke Daramel
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/stokedamerelopc/
which you may find useful
Regards
Ros

Offline wolliter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mary DAWE
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 April 17 14:36 BST (UK) »
Hi
In my family tree i have a Thomas Dawe born 1801 he married Mary ? she was born 1807 Thomas was a painter had his own business In East stonehouse devon
Children were
Mary A dawe born 1827
Thomas Dawe  "    1832 Chemist and drugist
 George C Dawe      1836  draper
 Susannah E Dawe    1838
 Richard                    1841
Henry E                   1843
William                  1845
sidney                 1847

if any one has a connection please get in touch  ithink thomas born 1801 spent some time in
london