Author Topic: Immigration records and doctors of SA- 1960's-1970's  (Read 5151 times)

Offline blamcca

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Immigration records and doctors of SA- 1960's-1970's
« Reply #9 on: Monday 11 March 13 07:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks I'll check some of this out.
I know there may not be records if she came by plane but still shouldn't there be paperwork to do because she wanted to live and work in South Australia.
I don't think she became an Australian citizen though, she received a British pension and had a British passport (which no doesn't show her arrival). She wouldn't be on the electoral rolls if she wasn't a citizen, or would she?

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 11 March 13 07:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Yes, she could be on the Electoral Roll. It wasn't until c1985? that Brits had to take out Australian Citizenship to be on the roll however if they were already on the roll when the change came in then they could stay on the roll provided it was continuous. There are still Brits on the roll who haven't taken out Australian Citizenship.

There would be a passenger list but it is most likely not online if there was no success from the National Archives link posted earlier by majm.

The link below has an index of Passenger Records held in Adelaide

http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/fact-sheets/fs256.aspx

The link below has an index of Passenger Records held in Canberra

http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/fact-sheets/fs38.aspx

There are records in other cities.

The records are not indexed by name so you would be almost impossible to find without more information

Andy

Offline cfmpleace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 22 June 13 18:08 BST (UK) »
Hello  blamcca.  I saw your entry re Audrey Hooper.  We were friends from our school days so I may be able to help you a bit.  The last time that I saw Audrey and family was in 1963 when she had a private practice in Bristol.  She went to Australia in about '65,by boat.  I was in East Africa at the time and she wanted me to meet the ship when it called in at Aden, unfortunately it wasn't possible for me to get there in time.  Things were a bit different 50 years ago !  I had a letter from her telling me that they had sold the farm that they had bought in Australia and that Graham was returning to the U.K. with Sarah  where she would be able to attend a special school. I'm afraid after that we lost contact as I was moving about quite a bit.  The next news that I had was from a relative in Bristol who she went to see with your Gt grandfather. She was hoping to get Sarah to return to Australia with them.  Obviously she didn't. Sarah definately was not in a wheel chair. Must close now will try and contact you again later.  Hope you get this O.K.   Mervyn. 

Offline blamcca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 23 June 13 00:47 BST (UK) »
Mervyn this is great news!! We had always presumed it was Audrey and Andrew who came to Australia alone. You don't remember where this farm you mentioned was? I never had much to do with Audrey I only remember her in her later years when she would sit out on the verandah of the her house in West Lakes and we used to go and see her before going to the footy, she lived just down the road from the big stadium in Adelaide. We believe Audrey still has a younger sister alive living in Birmingham (I think that is it). If you post 3 times you can send and receive private messages where we can further discuss living family members.

Blake

Offline cfmpleace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 24 June 13 12:56 BST (UK) »
Hello Blake. It's nice to hear from you.  It would be nice if our correspondence was a little private  !                   
             Sorry, I don't know where the farm was. Will contact you again later. I look forward to any further comments that you may have.
                                                           Regards  Mervyn.

Offline blamcca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 24 June 13 23:08 BST (UK) »
Not really sure I can say a whole lot about Audrey. In November 1974 (we think) she married my gt-grandfather Dean Foulis somewhere in Adelaide, can't say a lot about the wedding, Dean's sisters were the only family members that we know were invited. It was a little suspicious really, all of Dean's children just got a phone call on the morning of the wedding. Audrey and Dean settled back at Dean's farm in the Eden Valley and lived there until retiring to West Beach, Dean died in 1996 and Audrey in 2005. Can't really say much more I found a few more documents last night, I'll tell you more about them when we can get private messages going.

Blake

Offline cfmpleace

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 25 June 13 16:41 BST (UK) »
It gets  "interestinger and interestinger" !  I too thought there something odd. I will speak to you about it later. Will try and turn out the letter that I had from Peggy after they had visited her when they were in Bristol just after they were married, I think I still have it somewhere.
Four our five years ago I exchanged a few emails with your grandfather, Daryl , He and your grandmother had then just been to visit Rita, Audreys sister in Tamworth, which is about fifteen miles north of Birmingnam.  More later.

Regards, Mervyn.

Offline blamcca

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 25 June 13 22:45 BST (UK) »
I'll send you a private message now.

Offline Fallon Mody

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • I am a PhD candidate in the History of Medicine at the University of Melbourne, science communicator and tennis nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 21 March 16 03:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone, I am a PhD candidate researching a group of 1952 Bristol medical graduates who migrated to Australia. Audrey Fox has an entry in the Medical Directory of Australia in 1978, and is listed as working as a medical officer for the South Australian mental health service; there is also a record of her arrival in Australia on the ship Fairsky in 1965 (see Passenger arrival index, National Archives of Australia).
I would be particularly interested in finding out why she moved to Australia, and if it was for professional or personal reasons.