Author Topic: ainslies in spittal berwick  (Read 4967 times)

Offline antymgt

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
ainslies in spittal berwick
« on: Friday 09 July 04 09:23 BST (UK) »
I have done some extensive research on the Ainslies in Spittal. With the help of other family members we can follow many of our Ainslies to the present day. The biggest problem we have is When did the Ainslies come to Spittal? The name Ainslie is the Scottish version and we have a John Ainslie married to a Margaret Selkirk living in Jedburgh in the mid/late 1700's. They had 3 sons. One of these sons James is most likely to be the first Ainslie in Spittal. Anyone got any further info? Especially on John and Margaret. ...Thanks hopefully....Margaret Britton

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: ainslies in spittal berwick
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 January 05 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret

Sorry we haven't been able to help you so far on this one. 

Have you made any progress,  or do you have any further details that could help someone to find what you are looking for?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes 

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline peterarkell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 September 05 14:54 BST (UK) »
Hello:

My great great grandfather, James Gladston had at least four children including Alexander Gladston born 1825 (my great-grandfather) and Jane Gladston, born 1828.  Jane had some trouble keeping her underwear on and gave birth to at least five children with no apparent father.  One of the children was another Jane Gladston, born 1856; she married John Ainslie on October 2, 1876 in the Berwick registry office.

They had at least five children according to the 1881, 1891 and 1901 censuses.  These were Jane, born 1880, James, born 1882, Elizth Ann, born 1885, John born 1887 and Alexander born 1889.  From the censuses they lived at 20 West St. in 1881, 28 Main St. in 1891 and 52 Middle St in 1901.  All these houses were in Spittal. 

The census data all came from ancestry.co.uk.  I have a picture of the Jane who was born in 1880.  She is about 30 in the photograph.  If you wish I can e-mail this picture on to you.

Peter Arkell

Offline antymgt

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 September 05 18:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter
Thanks for your info on Jane Gladston. I would love the picture that you mentioned. I have a web site of "my Ainslie Family " Which shows descendant of Jane Gladston and John Ainslie perhaps you have more details of this branch which I could add. The website address is www.tribalpages.com/tribes/antymgt. Let me know how you find it.   Margaret