Author Topic: Giles Carter & Hannah (Ann) Wells  (Read 4055 times)

Offline Dave Murphy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Giles Carter & Hannah (Ann) Wells
« on: Saturday 16 March 13 00:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I am looking for information on Giles Carter born abt 1806 lived in the area of Gloucesto, Gloucestershire, England married Hannah Wells abt 1841 in England came out to Australia and had the 1st child in 1842 in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia they had 7 children, Hannah died in 1868 and Giles remarried Ann Smith. Giles died in 1883. It would be great to find both the names of Giles and Hannah's parents.

Cheers
Sue
Geelong, Victoria.

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Giles Carter & Hannah (Ann) Wells
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 March 13 05:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue

http://genforum.genealogy.com/carter/messages/20405.html
http://genforum.genealogy.com/carter/messages/20406.html
This person says they have a copy of the marriage certificate of Giles CARTER and Ann WELLS - but provides no details online of what it says!

There is a Giles CARTER indexed for a Marriage:
Mar Qtr 1841, RD: Newbury, Ref: V6, page 249
He is is one of 5 persons on the page where the others are 2 brides and 2 grooms. There should be an even number on the page. His bride is probably not one of the 2 listed there, and is probably:

Ann WELLS indexed for a Marriage:
Mar Qtr 1841, RD: Newbury, Ref: V2, Page 249
She is the 9th person (and the 5th bride) on the page of 5 brides & 4 grooms, there should be only 8 on the page (4 of each gender). All the others are listed as  RD Shoreditch.
The index is clear and is typed as Vol2 etc.   -  I suspect a typo error occurred at the time the index was typed and she should be Newbury, Vol 6, Page 249.

Newbury covers RD's in Berkshire & Hampshire:
http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/newbury.html

A Marriage registered in the Mar Qtr, could have occurred in Dec 1840. They may have already left the UK by the time of the 1841 Census which was taken 6 Jun 1841.

Their marriage would hopefully name their respective father's and have witness & address', which may be useful to track them back in England.

What is your source saying Giles lived in Gloucestershire?

Cheers
AMBLY

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Dave Murphy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 March 13 07:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Thank you for responding, yes my source is saying Giles was in Gloucester, Gloucestershire, which is why l am trying to find their marraige records to find out the name of both parents.
Thanks
Sue

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 March 13 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue,

Hopefully the 1841 marriage certificate will provide some clues re: parents  to help you take the next step back ;D

What I meant re: your source was - what is the evidence to date that says he was in Gloucestershire?   I do see a Giles CARTER in Tewkesbury in Gloucestershire in 1841, whose age says b abt 1806 - but there is no Ann with him. I also  see some A*trees have attributed this census as being your Giles - I guess I'm wondering if this is soley where the Gloucestershire 'connection' comes from, or if there is other anecdotal or documented information that has come down the family tree!

Cheers
AMBLY

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz

Offline Dave Murphy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 March 13 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi
The info i have is from one of the tree's which is a descedant of one of the children, who also commented that the only census she could find was also the one from Tewkesbury in Gloucestershire in 1841, but if Giles and Hannah or Anne Wells married in 1841 and arrived in Australia by 1842 to have their first child l don't understand why there is no census for them, even still living at home with their parents.
There is also another tree that has Giles bein born about 1799 in Arlingham, Gloucestershire and marrying an Ann........ i don't know what else to try to find out this information. Is there other info l can give you that may help. Giles son George Henry Carter married in 1867 and l think that is the source she got her info from for Giles & Hannah.
Thank you
Your help with this is very much appreacaited.
Sue

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 March 13 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue

I suspected that 1841 census was the Gloucestershire source.   Unless other researchers have proven their claims and offer in the least transcripts of  clear source references, I think you have to start with checking out the documentation for yourself - ie: the Australian BDMs  and most definitely, the English  1841 marriage certificate.   Both references to Gloucestershire (the birth 1806 via 1841 Census,  and 1796 Arlington do smack loudly of being chosen simply because of the names Giles Carter and Ann)

As mentioned earlier, the marriage is registered in the March Quarter  1841 (Jan-Feb-Mar) but they could actually have been married in December 1840.  Even if they were married in any of the months in the March Quarter, this is still prior to the June 1841 date of the census. In summary, they could easily have married anytime Dec 1840 to March 1841 and hopped straight on a ship for Australia - thereby missing the 1841 Census altogether.

Cheers
AMBLY

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 March 13 21:31 GMT (UK) »
I see son George Henry was apparently born in NSW but registered in Victoria?

Victoria Registration:
George Henry Carter, registered Merri, Victoria - parents: Giles & Ann

NSW Registration:
George H CARTER, born NSW, parents Giles CARTER & Ann, birth registered in Melbourne.

Cheers
AMBLY

Offline Dave Murphy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 March 13 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi
How do l get the 1841 marriage certificate, l have tried looking at the census but can't find a Giles Carter being born abt 1806 even struggling to find a Hannah or an Ann. Please if you can let me know where to go to next would be great,

Sue

Offline Dave Murphy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 March 13 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I can't find a record of them on board a ship either which also makes it very difficult.

Sue