Author Topic: 1778 Marriage in Cambridge Holy Sepulchre: HARDY  (Read 1961 times)

Offline Ros50

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1778 Marriage in Cambridge Holy Sepulchre: HARDY
« on: Sunday 17 March 13 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

I'm trying to study the Hardys in Cambridge, to see if they're all one family, or several.  I'm definitely descended from some of them!

Please could anyone give me the details from a marriage on 16 March 1778 in Holy Sepulchre, Cambridge, between Henry HARDY and Susannah MILLER?  Ideally, I'd like to know the names of their witnesses, their marital status, which parish they came from, and whether it was by banns or licence.

Thanks very much.

Best Regards

Ros

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1778 Marriage in Cambridge Holy Sepulchre: HARDY
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 March 13 21:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ros,

Holy Sepulchre is well covered on FreeReg http://freereg.rootsweb.com/search/index.htm and the marriage you are interested in is on there.  They list the parish under St. Sepulchre.

However I can add a few extra bits.  Their marital status isn't given but they were both of this parish and made their marks.

Witnesses were Susanna(h) Sharp (Susanna on FreeReg but with the h on transcript) and Ann Single or Tingle.  (both alternatives on FreeReg but Single on the transcript).

Marriage was by Banns, only one date for the Banns is given 22 February 1778.

Best wishes,

Selina

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ros50

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1778 Marriage in Cambridge Holy Sepulchre: HARDY
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 March 13 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Selina

Thanks very much indeed for coming back to me so quickly, and with such clear, detailed info.  I haven't worked on Cambridgeshire before and am definitely not up to speed with all the resources available.  I'll check out the freereg link you gave me - though from what I can see among the free online resources that I have used, the Hardys didn't stay in St/Holy Sepulchre after their wedding. 

Ann Single will be right.  A Mary Hardy who could well be Henry's aunt married John Single in St Mary the Great in 1755.  Ann Single is probably Henry Hardy's cousin. 

The picture on Henry Hardy (1753-1823) is clarifying at every step.  I just need to find the step that proves my William Hardy (c1754-1835) was his brother.  Onward and upward!

Thanks again!

Best Regards

Ros