Author Topic: Searching for Rogowo, Russia (Poland)  (Read 5403 times)

Offline ChicoChico

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Searching for Rogowo, Russia (Poland)
« on: Saturday 23 March 13 05:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi All – I am just starting to trace my Polish side of the family, and hoping to clarify a few items. I have Polish ancestors who immigrated through Ellis Island on 09 Feb 1909 (I have seen the Ship’s manifest on the Ellis Island web site), and I am 100% sure it is the right individuals.

My first question is related to their “town of origin”. On the manifest it is listed as “Rogowo, Russia” – I know that at that time (1909) Poland had been partitioned between Russia, Prussia and Austria, so the “Russia” part is understood, but can someone tell me where Rogowo, Russia would have been (or is currently in today’s Poland)? Is Rogowo a proper Polish name (or is it the Russian version of a Polish name)?  Note: I do not speak any Polish.

My second question is related to their actual voyage. The ship they travelled on was the SS Ryndam (sometimes Rindam), which sailed from Rotterdam, Netherlands on 30 Jan 1909 for New York. What is the typical journey from Poland to Rotterdam, meaning how did they get from their town in Poland (Russia) to Rotterdam – was it typical to travel by rail? If so what was the typical itinerary? Was a ship voyage possible? Is so from what port would one sail from to get to Rotterdam?

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Chico –
CLARK - Bridge End, Startforth, North Riding, Yorkshire & Barnard Castle, Durham
+ TODD nee SIMMONETTI - Richmond, Leyburn North Riding, Yorkshire
 |== CLARK (Smith) - Lartington, North Riding Yorkshire
    |== (Smith nee Clark) GARBUTT - Thornley, Durham
    |== CLARK (Kime) - Guisborough, North Riding Yorkshire
 |== (Clark) COLLEDGE - W. Hartlepool, Durham

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for Rogowo, Russia (Poland)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 March 13 08:55 GMT (UK) »

Offline Gaie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • CenInf Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 March 13 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chico

There are a number of Rogowos in Poland:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogowo_(disambiguation)

For Rogowo Russia c1909 you should be looking at the ones in Podlaskie, Masovian (Masowieckie),  and Warmian-Masurian (Warminsko-Mazurskie) Voivodeships (provinces).

Here's a map of the Polish provinces:

http://geneteka.genealodzy.pl/

If you're lucky you may find your folks in the Geneteka databases; names and BMD details are regularly added:

http://www.geneteka.genealodzy.pl/index.php?op=se

KR
Gaie
Sussex, Burwash/Somerset/South London: PANKHURST/FABLING/GREEN/KING/PARROT/POPE/PEMBROKE
Notts/Leics/London: POLLARD/BELAND/FELLS/MORRISON/MARYSON/CLARKE
Northants: MARRIOT/T
Suffolk: LINGLY/LINGLEY/LINDLY/LINDLEY/ SEAGER /SIGGER/SEGGAR/VINCE
Gloucs: WINDOW Glamorgan: JENKINS Cardiganshire: JONES
Poland: OZIEMKIEWICZ France: LINETTE

Offline ChicoChico

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 March 13 03:15 GMT (UK) »
Fastfusion - Thanks for the link. Note: I also saw your post “POLAND sources of research” under European Resources & Offers. I am looking forward to exploring that information as well!

Gaie – Thanks for the clarification on how many Rogowo’s there are. I guess I should not be surprised. Thanks also for helping my focus on which provinces to look at. So far, the best candidate is “Rogowo, Rypin County in Kuyavian-Pomeranian Voivodeship (north-central Poland)”. I am basing this on remembering family stories that my ancestors came from a small village in Poland between Warsaw and the German border. Based on a map of Polish Provinces in the Russian Empire (c. 1902) I found online, http://www.feefhs.org/maplibrary/russian/re-polan.html this particular Rogowo fits that description. Thanks also for the Polish BMD database. Hopefully, I will find something!

Kind Regards –
Chico -
CLARK - Bridge End, Startforth, North Riding, Yorkshire & Barnard Castle, Durham

Offline Gaie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 March 13 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chico

I think Rogowo in Rypin County would have been in Prussia in 1909.

Given the description for Rogowo being between Warsaw and the "German" border, can I suggest Rogowo, Gmina Bulkowo or Rogow, Gmina Staroźreby,  both in in Masovian Voivodeship (east-central Poland)?  Annoyingly, they are only a couple of miles apart  ::)

KR
Gaie
Sussex, Burwash/Somerset/South London: PANKHURST/FABLING/GREEN/KING/PARROT/POPE/PEMBROKE

Offline ChicoChico

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 March 13 03:37 GMT (UK) »
Gaie – Thanks for reaching out with the suggestion. Guidance, suggestions and helpful tips are always welcome and appreciated.  :)

I spent some time yesterday evening, reading up on Polish history (from the first of the partitions, in 1772 through the start of WWI, 1914) and studying maps of the Polish territory over this timeframe. As a result of the partitions ( 1772-1795) you are correct, Rypin County (and Rogowo) would have been part of Prussia as of the second partition in 1793. Here’s a wikipedia article I found on the subject http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partitions_of_Poland 

As Napoleon conquered most of Europe, creating the Duchy of Warsaw in the process, 1807-1815, Rypin ceased to be Prussian, and became part of the Duchy of Warsaw. After Napoleon’s ultimate downfall, the Congress of Vienna created the “Kingdom of Poland” aka ‘Congress Poland’ in 1815, out of the Duchy of Warsaw - here is a related article I found in Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duchy_of_Warsaw

In the Wikipedia article “Congress Poland” which describes the polish territories from post Napoleon to start of WW1 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congress_Poland. There is a map c. 1831 that shows the administrative districts http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/df/Congress_Poland_1831.jpg, I carefully studied it, and If you start at Danzig, go ‘east by south-east’ to Elbing, then head ‘south’ to Rypin - Rogowo itself is shown a little further south, within the Plock district. There is a also polish map, c.1902 in the article http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7f/Gubernie_zachodnie_krolestwo_polskie_1902.jpg and Rypin is marked as within the Russian territory. Start with Gdansk, go ‘east’ to Elblag, then go ‘south’ and Rypin is in the pink hatch marks, and although Rogowo is not show, it is south of Rypin, and would thus be within the Russian territory.

Nonetheless, the two Rogowo’s you indicate (Rogowo, Gmina Bulkowo and Rogowo, Gmina Staroźreby) both also fit the description “between Warsaw and the German border” very nicely. In fact even Rogowo, Maków county (also Masovian Voivodeship) north of Warsaw fits the description – since at the time, heading north from Warsaw, you eventually would hit Prussia. Now the challenge is determining which one is the best bet for my ancestors!

Researching my Polish family is a new area for me, and I am sure there will be challenges ahead. So thanks again for taking the time to offer your help and suggestions, I really do appreciate it.   :)

Kind Regards –
Chico -

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 March 13 08:02 GMT (UK) »
Sadly - town names changed - even if ever so slightly
my research for Kabluckyj is in Rohatyn - which became Rogatyn - then back to Rohatyn when the Russians left ...it is actually now part of Ukraine ...you have my sympathy because a section of 17-30 miles along the border changed hands a few times ....
good luck
allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Gaie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 March 13 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

Chico, do you want to throw some names and dates at us?  Have you found them in any censuses after 1909 and do the censuses give any more information?  Did they go through formal naturalisation?  Any military enlistment papers?

KR
Gaie

Offline ChicoChico

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 March 13 06:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gaie – Here are the names / date information I have (based on family knowledge and supplemented by ship’s manifests);
  • Karol Wierzbowski (Wiersborski / Wiersborska), born ~1885, Russia (Poland), possibly Warsaw, migrated to NYC in 1909
  • Helena Wierzbowski, nee Bromierski (Bromierska / Bromieiski), born ~1884, Rogowo, Russia, migrated to NYC in 1909
  • Adam Bromierski (Helena’s Brother), born ~1875, Rogowo, Russia, migrated to NYC in 1900
  • Stacia (Stanislawa) Bromierski, nee ?? (Adam’s wife), born ~ 1880/1881, Rogowo, Russia, migrated to NYC in 1903
  • Helena Bromierski (Adam and Stacia’s daughter), born ~1899/1910, Rogowo, Russia, Migrated to NYC in 1909
  • Josef Smichowski / Chemeski / Snucheuski, (believed to have married a Bromierski), born ~1860, migrated to NYC ~ 1893
  • Amelia Smichowski (Josef’s daughter), born ~1892, Rogowo, Russia, migrated to NYC in 1909
  • Viktoria Kolanska (believed to be a sister-in-law to Josef Smichowski), born ~1869, widow migrated to NYC in 1903
From what I can see, one sibling migrated to the New York area, and became the focus point for subsequent migrations of siblings and siblings-in-law. I have found the Bromierski’s (Adam and Stacia) in the US Fed 1910, 1920 & 1930 census, on the 1910 he is listed as ‘Al’, in 1920 & 1930 they are both ‘N’ & ‘Na’ respectively. I have also found Josef Snucheuski in the 1910 census (living with the Bromierski’s) with ‘Al’. I have found the Wierzbowski’s (Americanized to Charles and Helen) in the 1920 census both are ‘Al’.  It would be thrilling if you are able to find something, I am keeping my fingers crossed!    :D

Kind Regards –
Chico -