Author Topic: ATS service records  (Read 8027 times)

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
ATS service records
« on: Thursday 28 March 13 16:18 GMT (UK) »
I'm hoping that members experienced in WW2 research might be willing to point me in the right direction in my attempt to research a woman who served in the ATS during the war. I have few details of her service - I believe she was attached to an anti-aircraft station at Spurn Point, and I know that following German surrender she was posted to Berlin. Her name was MARGARET (aka Peggy) PAGE. I've tried entering the name in a general search of military records, with no success. For any hints and tips, I'd be really grateful - I know so little about this part of her life, any small detail would be valued.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: ATS service records
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 March 13 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

The MOD hold records from 1920s onwards;

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 March 13 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for that tip, NJ. I followed the link you kindly supplied and will take it from there.
Best wishes IAN

Offline rossko57

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 January 18 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Late follow up
My late mother MURIEL WHEELER was also posted at some time to the Spurn Point AA battery.  She did not like it there ... "Godforsaken place"
She and other ATS girls were tasked with operating the Vickers Predictor - a opto-mechanical gunsight cum computer for the big guns.  Blokes manned the guns.

She did keep in touch with a couple of the other girls from her unit into the 1980s.  Wish now I had noted their names, but I do not remember a Peggy Page.  There must have been dozens of ATS rotated in and out of that posting over the duration.

Anecdote:  the Predictor girls were trained in aircraft recognition of course.  As a lad I made up Airfix model kits; one time a Lockheed Lightning, a USAF long range fighter.  Mum recognized it immediately, and told me the story of one day practice tracking a Lightning across a clear blue sky, when - bang.  It just blew up in her viewfinder.  After a moments panic, she remembered the guns weren't even manned so she hadn't shot it down accidentally!
No parachutes, sadly.  Turns out they had fuel leak issues and a few went up in flight.

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to be slow in responding to your kind message –– and many thanks for the details you added about the Spurn Point AA station. I'm sure you're right, there must have been, over the course of the war, many ATS personnel coming and going. I know that Mum was not in touch with any of her ATS colleagues, and she never ventured any details of her time at Spurn Point ... just that I seem to remember her saying that it was a lengthy posting. Mum spoke more often about her transfer in 1945 to Berlin / Potsdam. During her time there she was taken by bus to Belsen: it was not compulsory for British servicemen and women to make the visit, but the authorities thought it desirable that as many people as possible witnessed the atrocities committed by the Nazis, so that the Shoah would never be forgotten, so that no one in future could deny that such genocide had taken place. I know Mum's experience remained vividly with her.
Thanks again for the details you sent of the work undertaken by the ATS women. Do you think that they get enough recognition for their contribution?
Best wishes

Offline macwil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

The MOD hold records from 1920s onwards;

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html

Nanny Jan

Just for clarity, to save any confusion as to which form to use, the ATS was part of the Army.
Active links are now (after 13/04/2018) indicated by bold red italics. Just click on them.
The only stupid question is the one not asked

WILSON; Lancs, Lanrks.
BERRY; Lancs.
BORASTON; Salop, Worcs,
TYLER; Salop, Herefords.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 16:51 GMT (UK) »
The website says you need to know the person's service number to get a copy of their records. Where can that be found?  ???
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline macwil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 17:33 GMT (UK) »
The service number is NOT required.

The actual wording on the form says:-
* SERVICE NUMBER AND/OR DATE OF BIRTH MUST BE INCLUDED  ( my bold emphasis)

Although I suspect it may make things quicker if it was included.
Active links are now (after 13/04/2018) indicated by bold red italics. Just click on them.
The only stupid question is the one not asked

WILSON; Lancs, Lanrks.
BERRY; Lancs.
BORASTON; Salop, Worcs,
TYLER; Salop, Herefords.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 17:46 GMT (UK) »
 Not sure which form you're looking at macwii, this is what the guidance notes say (before you click on the form):

3. Apply for the records of someone who's deceased

You can apply for a copy of someone else’s service records if any of the following apply:

you’re their immediate next of kin, for example their spouse or parent
    you’ve got consent from their immediate next of kin
    you have a general research interest - you’ll only have access to limited information, unless they died more than 25 years ago

You need to know the person’s full name, date of birth and service number.

Fill in 2 forms - a request form and a search form.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales