Author Topic: Holywell Flintshire/Holyhead Anglesey - Emily Ann Gough Moore/Evans  (Read 3259 times)

Offline RoserAncestors

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Holywell Flintshire/Holyhead Anglesey - Emily Ann Gough Moore/Evans
« on: Saturday 06 April 13 06:14 BST (UK) »
The Australian death certificate of an ancestor gives her birthplace as Holyrood Wales, which does not seem to exist. I wondered whether it might be Holywell, Flintshire, or Holyhead, Anglesey.

She gives herself as the daughter of Isaac Moore and Sally (sometimes called Sarah) Gill in her mother’s death certificate, but she gives her name as Emily Ann Gough/Goff Evans in her marriage certificate and husband’s death certificate. She gives her name as Emily Gough in the birth certificate of an illegitimate daughter Alice (my ancestor) born in 1874 before her marriage to John Waterson in 1875 in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia.

She is recorded as Emily Moore in her immigration record of 24 December 1857 to Melbourne, Victoria, when she is given the age 5, giving her a birth year of about 1852. Later records alternatively give a birth year of about 1851, but she doesn’t appear in her parent’s Manchester 1851 census record.

Her parents were from Derbyshire and seem to have been Church of England. I wondered whether anyone has access to the parish registers for Holywell, or possibly Holyhead, Anglesey, and whether Emily’s baptism is there.