Author Topic: COUCH family, Luxulyan Cornwall.  (Read 11135 times)

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
Re: COUCH family, Luxulyan Cornwall.
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 18 April 13 15:55 BST (UK) »
Another thing Steve,

You mentioned initially that Ann was Ann HADDEN. I have been meaning to query this as to me her name appeared to be STODDEN.

Birth of Agnes's son

KING James Stodden born Mar 1/4 1850 St Austell 9 19

Cheers Kris  :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 18 April 13 16:18 BST (UK) »
COUCH John Jenkin Couche was buried 15 Jan 1839 in Fowey. He was aged 5 months of North Street

KING William was buried 23 Nov 1887. He was aged 68 of Fore Street
KING Agnes was buried Fowey 28 May 1891. She was aged 80 years of Fore Street

Offline Steve63

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 19 April 13 11:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Kris, Crikey you are going like a bush fire, it is terrific the amount of information you have found and I certainly have those places on my must visit list. The name "Hadden" came from the Luxulyan OPC web site, re marriages, James Couch married Ann Hadden at St Austel in 1803, 1st witness was Jane Rosevear and the second witness was Mary Higman. There may have been two Ann's born to James and Ann as I have one baptised in 1811 at St Kew and the other in 1823 at St Blazey. i have found that Tamerton Folliot is now a suburb of Plymouth but I am hoping that at the time of Jame's death he was buried in the village cemetery and I hope that it is still there as I will certainly be looking for it. Everything you have found pretty much ties in. If I can find any more information, I will post it on this site. Thank you very much, Steve63. 

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 19 April 13 11:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve,

Those St Kew baptisms are not the same family. I thought it was your couple to start with but it is not. She is Ann Webber they married in 1803 also but in St Kew, so please discount those Kew baptisms. (John 1804, James 1806, Thomas Webber 1808, Ann 1811, Grace 1814, they are not your couple.

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 19 April 13 11:35 BST (UK) »
Here is the image Steve. To my eye the vicar wrote Sodden and Ann signed Stodden. You can see where the vicar wrote it it is an S as he writes S's. Compare it to his H's as in his name and its nothing like it.

James Couch

There is also a Mary the following year from memory.

Then we have Agnes naming her son William Stodden KING. I am conviced Ann's name is Stodden.

Offline Steve63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 19 April 13 12:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Kris, I see what you mean, I can also see where someone could also read the name Hadden, unfortunately that is what is on the OPC clerks file. This has opened a whole new line to search, to try and at least find Ann's birth. I have sent an Email to the St Mary's Church in Tamerton Folliot to see if there may be a register of James's burial. I couldn't find a reference to Blaxton Mill but I have found a Blaxton Farm and it is certainly old enough and looking at Google Earth, the buildings certainly have seen better days. The search begins for Stodden. Regards Steve63. 

Offline Steve63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 19 April 13 12:29 BST (UK) »
Back again Kris, I was about to turn off my computer and I thought I would run the surname Stodden through the OPC database with a time frame of 1770 to 1800 and it came up with a whole lot of baptisms but the best one I thought would be, Ann Stodden baptised August 13 1782 at Gerrans parish, Father John, Mother Agnes. I think this might be a winner. Regards, Steve63. 

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 20 April 13 00:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve,

Yes I found her also and wondered, but haven't been able to confirm it. I liked the mother Agnes, since James and Ann named a daughter Agnes. . Alas I have not been able to find a marriage to fit.

There was this Mary married in St Austell the year after Ann. I wondered if they may have been sisters.

This Mary STODDEN married Thomas MARSHALL in 1804 in St Austell is still living in St Austell in 1851. She is 73 pob St Stephens. Given the proximity to St Austell I expected St Stevens in Brannel

All I have found is a a Mary STODDEN was baptised 12 Apr 1778 St Stephen by Saltash parents William and Mary.

and a possible marriage for the parents.

William STODDEN a lab in the garden  = Mary POOLEY spinster both otp by banns 6 May 1776 Stoke Damerel. - both signed witnesses Mary POOLEY and Charles POOLEY

but alas none of it has helped. I have not found a sister Ann anyway. Perhaps they were not sisters at all. Just apart from these two marriages St Austell does not appear to be a STODDEN parish. I have been playing about with this for a few days but don't seem to be getting anywhere with it. Just thought I may as well pass on where I was with it..

Offline Steve63

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 20 April 13 07:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Kris,
Just to throw a curve, I have found an Ann Stadden baptised January 4 1784 in the parish of Davidstow, father Robert and mother Ann. This may be a misprint and yet may be the site of the Stodden family. I found this on the Luxulyan OPC website. Regards, Steve63.