Author Topic: Does this seem odd to you? It did to me  (Read 4562 times)

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Does this seem odd to you? It did to me
« on: Thursday 25 April 13 20:37 BST (UK) »
My great x3 grandfather was a shepherd, in a little village in Huntingdonshire.

On my first visit to the village, I found his grave ... right slap bang in the middle of the old burial ground, with one of the largest memorial stones there and a lengthy (and still almost completely legible) inscription.

This struck me as ... well ... not what one would expect of a humble shepherd.

Then again, his son was coachman at the manor house, which was owned by an elderly spinster, the daughter of a general of ancient and distinguished lineage. It makes me wonder whether it was my family that paid for the memorial stone, or hers ...
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline Richview

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Does this seem odd to you? It did to me
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 May 13 20:59 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Not that unusual - I visit a number of old churchyards & have seen some very nice memorials for butlers, gamekeepers etc that were erected by their  employer- normally the local landowner.
R

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 14:07 BST (UK) »
Hi , i had similar experience .game keeper . large stone .. rest of family little or none. my great great grandfather Thomas valentine died 1858 in West Bilney was subject to an inquest where he may have been 'hit on head ' by the publican .. family stories mentioned murder. Publican excused of guilt. BUT was he the erector of large stone. Guilt. maybe more research on my behalf would let one know. also is the a hint of scandal in your story elderly spinsters and the coachman .. sorry if you think i am being facetious
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline Richview

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 14:20 BST (UK) »
Thomas Valentine gamekeeper on the Bilney Estate??
R

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 14:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you Colonel Blair-Imrie.

1909: Inscribed on a stone at Lunan Churchyard, [Angus, Scotland]

To DAVID CARCARY. Erected by Colonel Blair-Imrie of Lunan, to commemorate the faithful services of his land steward, who died on the 10th August 1909, aged 64 years. HELEN TAYLOR wife of DAVID CARCARY, died on 25th November 1930, aged 87 years. DAVID CARCARY MACFARLANE their grandson who died 22nd December 1993, aged 78 years. His beloved wife JANET BOYD MURRAY who died 11th November 1999, aged 82 years.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 14:53 BST (UK) »
I have an ancestor, a girl from poor ag lab family, where all sons were ag labs and all girls went into service. She worked for a family called Parish, and they emigrated to Buenos Aires and took Ann with them.
In Buenos Aires British Cemetery there is a headstone for numerous members of the Parish family, and on it is added " Also Ann Edmonds our faithful servant"

So - yes it does happen that employers sometimes did pay for a burial and a headstone for employees.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 August 13 08:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks guys ... all very interesting  :)
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright