Author Topic: W G Coaling (b 1887 England?) - Clutching at straws!  (Read 1256 times)

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
W G Coaling (b 1887 England?) - Clutching at straws!
« on: Saturday 27 April 13 07:55 BST (UK) »
According to the 1930 US census (via Family Search), William G Coaling was born England in 1887 and migrated to US in 1909. Single, he is recorded as an "enlisted man" living in Raritan, Middlesex. New Jersey. I am looking for further information about this individual in the hope of identifying him more fully. Any on-line references or off-line sources would be greatly appreciated. Does the original census return contain any additional detail?

In 1904 William G Cowling, born Devon, England 1887, landed in Montreal, supposedly en route for Toronto. I have been unable to trace any record of him, either in Canada or UK, after that date. I have eliminated people of similar personal details in Canada and Seattle. Is it possible that, having failed to make it in Canada, that he moved to US in 1909?

I would welcome any help in proving/disproving that these two individuals were one and the same person.

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: W G Coaling (b 1887 England?) - Clutching at straws!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 April 13 08:29 BST (UK) »
I can't see anymore on the image of the census.  In 1910  USA Census  a William G Cooling (could be Codling) age 23 born England is listed as a boarder at Boston Ward 13, Suffolk, Massachusetts with a James Cooling age 24 born England.  Both entries are crossed through with entrance error beside it.

Kay

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 April 13 11:35 BST (UK) »
There is a William George Codling (1887) travelling from Liverpool to Boston on the Ivernia arriving 27 May 1909.  There is some additional information given that is not shown on the original image (i.e. born Fulham, England and having a friend Michael Lontz) however the original does give a last address in Hammersmith London but I cannot make out the street name.  Is there anybody with better eyes able to make it out?  Could either include this WG Codling in or out.

I am also unable to make out the occupation or the reference to the fathers name.

Ray
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 April 13 12:15 BST (UK) »
It looks like the William G Codling who travelled to the Boston in 1909 is named "Codling"  I have him on the 1901 census in Hammersmith (born Fulham):

Household Members:   
Name                Age
George Codling        47  Cab Driver
Emma Codling        45
Charles Codling        19  Horse Keeper
William Codling        14
Rose Codling        18
Violet Codling        12
Daisy Codling            8
Gwendoline Codling   2

Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 April 13 15:06 BST (UK) »
There is a Attestation Paper record of a Canadian soldier in WW1 that lists him as  William George Cowling of L.S.M.?(R.C.) born on 18th Feb 1888 in Callington Cornwall with trade farmer and mother Mrs E J Cowling.  The oath was taken on 16 April 1917 at Winnipeg

Kay

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 27 April 13 19:56 BST (UK) »
In 2009, in a post on a different site, you thought that he was born in 1877.  Have you since found his birth to be 1887, or should we be looking for a man who was born in 1877?  :-\
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 April 13 08:46 BST (UK) »
Sorry, folks, I've behaved like a complete novice with this one. Lisa is correct. W G Cowling was born in 1877, not 1887. I think I must have banged my head against this particular brickwall once too often.

When I came across the details of W G Coaling, the prospect of possibly solving the riddle of W G Cowling's "disappearance" caused me to post in haste and without due diligence, relying on my memory rather than my records.

To Ray and Kay, whose various responses show such thought and effort, I apologise sincerely for wasting your time.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 28 April 13 18:35 BST (UK) »
Hi brentor boy:

I wasn't able to find him.

You probably have tried this but I did a quick search for your man, using the Montreal directories (thinking he may have remained in Montreal).  I didn't see him in 1905-1906 and 1906-1907.  However, here is the link in case you don't have it (for any future use):
http://bibnum2.bnquebec.ca/bna/lovell/index.html

Yesterday, I also tried the Toronto Directories and after a brief search did not see him.  There was a man with the same name in the 1905 or 1906 directory, however, he was in directories prior to 1904.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0tqk/

You also have most likely seen this man, born in Ontario.  He could be the one in the 1906 directory.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0tql/

It must be frustrating finding people who have the identical names.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 28 April 13 18:50 BST (UK) »
I cannot view further details:
UK Incoming, Passenger List
William Cowling, born 1877, sailed in 1907 from New York

Perhaps someone might be able to determine if he could be your man?