Author Topic: Where is Adalina in 1891?  (Read 2677 times)

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Adalina in 1891?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 08 May 13 20:01 BST (UK) »
Adelina died the address was 30 Borough Road.  George Emmerson Hudson was on 6 Tennyson.  If you find the census records.  Both burials are on Durhamrecordsonline

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 08 May 13 20:49 BST (UK) »
Adelina died the address was 30 Borough Road.  George Emmerson Hudson was on 6 Tennyson.  If you find the census records.  Both burials are on Durhamrecordsonline

Janis

Hi the address that Adelina died appears to be a "Mini" Hospital as it is run by a Catherine Jeffrey aged 47 b Ireland shown as Matron of Nursing Institution along with one trained nurse(sick)

For any future researchers, this Nursing Institute & Hospital moved to 64, Borough Road and in 1901 its Matron was an Alice Marriner 57 b Birmingham, Warwickshire
Census ref RG13/4712/151/1

10 years later it now has a "Proprietor" Christina Jane Aldes 40 b Isleworth Middx, and called Private Nursing Institute.

What happened to it?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 29 November 15 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Just revisiting this .... Adalina Black or Hudson died in New Zealand in 1915 and is buried in Sydenham Cemetery in Christchurch. There is a stone inscribed, "In loving memory of Adalina Mary, wife of the late George Hudson of Sunderland, England and only daughter of the late Rev John Black (first General Secretary of the Presbyterian Church of England) died 26th September 1915 aged 61." I also found a newspaper announcement that her funeral would leave the home of her son Robert, 30 Hastings Street, Sydenham.

John Hutchinson's wife was Mary Frances, and she was aged 39 in the 1891 census, so born 1859/60. Therefore she cannot have been a daughter of Adalina Black's husband, who was only 30 in 1881. But the George Hudson who died in 1898 in Middlesbrough was aged 60, so he would have been born 1837/8. Just old enough to have a daughter in 1859, but definitely not old enough to have a son in 1850/1, so Mary Frances cannot be a sister-in-law of Adalina Black or Hudson. Unless her age is wrong in the 1891 census. But it lookas if it's correct - ish.

Aha! .... in 1891 John Hutchinson, 42, and his Mary F, 48, are in the household of his sister-in-law, Elizabeth Walter, single, aged 58. There is a marriage of Mary Frances Walter to John Hutchinson in 1886. Also, there is no record of George and Adalina having any more children. So the J Hutchinson, the son-in-law in whose house George Hudson died in 1898 can't be the one Adelaide Hudson was visiting in 1891 .... can he?

All very confusing.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 29 November 15 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi have you any idea why Adalina Hudson ended her days in New Zealand,  when did she depart the UK,  I can see a Mr R Hudson aged 16 occ Clerk departing London for Wellington 14th August 1903 on Vessel Papanui?
Keyboard86

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 29 November 15 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi have you any idea why Adalina Hudson ended her days in New Zealand,  when did she depart the UK,  I can see a Mr R Hudson aged 16 occ Clerk departing London for Wellington 14th August 1903 on Vessel Papanui?

That looks about right, though his NZ death certificate gives his DoB as 15 April 1886, so by 14 August 1903 he was 17 not 16. I suppose there was nothing to keep Adalina in England after her only surviving child had emigrated, though I don't have a date for her departure.

I looked up Tennyson Street. The only one in the census in Co Durham is in Gateshead, and it's not listed until 1891, and there is no No 6 in the 1891 census. The map shows one north of the river, near Monkwearmouth, but none in Bishopwearmouth.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 29 November 15 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,  it might therefore be beneficial if you post a new thread on the New Zealand board re Adalina & Robert with possibly a link to this thread?!
Keyboard86

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 29 November 15 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,  it might therefore be beneficial if you post a new thread on the New Zealand board re Adalina & Robert with possibly a link to this thread?! 

I could do, but It's now George Hudson I am trying to nail, and he died in England before Adalina and Robert emigrated. I have information about Robert's marriage and family in New Zealand.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 17 January 20 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Just to add that there is no death in New Zealand of the missing George Hudson, but I still have no idea where he was between the birth of his son Robert in 1886 and 1901, when Adalina is first listed as widowed.