Author Topic: John Thomas Owens died 9 Feb 1905 Pembroke  (Read 7880 times)

Offline tulip65

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Thomas Owens died 9 Feb 1905 Pembroke
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 April 15 15:45 BST (UK) »
Hello to you all.

I notice Matilda Hughes Owens is mentioned In one of the posts - my 3 x GG. On the 1901 census she is a domestic servant for the "Palmer" family. Living ( from what I can make out) in Llanion .... New House?
Also at this time her son, I believe to be illegitimate, William Henry Owens aged 3  b.1898 is a boarder front street Llanstadwell. Was this a common thing to have done? Your child living as a boarder and the mother work & live somewhere else?
 By 1911 Matilda had William living with her and her husband William Bevan who she married in 1903. On the Census it has William henry owens as "stepson".

Owensmanc, does this go with any information you already have for the "ownens" family? Or even add to what little I have on Matilda & William Henry?

Thank You.

Offline owensmanc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 April 15 01:11 BST (UK) »
Hi tulip65

Matilda Hughes Owens was my Great Great Great Aunt.  I assume you are a descendant of William Henry Owens or one of the Bevans' children.  I am only aware of two Bevans children, Lewis James and Maud.  I believe William Henry Owens was illegitimate, although I believe I know who his father was, or at least I have narrowed it down to two people in the same family with the same name.  I have never thought to look for William Henry Owens on the 1901 census.  It is possible you have found him.  I do have Matilda down as a domestic servant in 1901.

I will give you a brief summary of Matilda from what I know.

Her father was John Thomas Owens (App. 1840 - 1905) and her mother Jennet Owens (nee Rogers) (App. 1841 to 1882).  Matilda had five brothers and five sisters that I am certain of.  There may be another brother, who appears on the 1891 census, but he may only be a half brother or step brother, from her father's second marriage to an Ann Lloyd. There are other step brothers and sisters from this marriage.
Matilda was baptised on 18 January 1878 at the same time as her sister Margaret, although Margaret was around 3 years old at the time.  Matilda I have down as born approx. 1877.
You are correct that Matilda married Williams Bevans in 1903.  By this time she already had an illegitimate son in William Henry Owens, who was born around 1898 and whose father was a John Driver I believe.  The father is sourced from an extract in the National Archives of Wales which indicates that a police warrant was issued for him in relation to William Henry Owens, I assume in respect of failure to pay maintenance.  I have also established an earlier link to the Driver family before Matilda was born.
Matilda had two children with William Bevans as already mentioned above.
William Bevans died in 1922 and Matilda remarried on 2 August 1923 to Alexander Cattanach.  No children resulted from this marriage that I am aware of.
I have Matilda as having died in 1942 and she is buried with first husband William at Honeyborough Cemetery.

Offline tulip65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 16 April 15 09:11 BST (UK) »
Wow thank you so much!

W H Owens became a dead end because I could not find any info on his dad.
I had ordered William's marriage cert in a hope for the fathers details - but just a line in each box.
There was a story that Matilda's husband had adopted William - but I've not found anything to support that. 
William Henry Owens would be my 3 x great grandfather.

Thank you for giving more to work with