Author Topic: Bentley Family Walsall  (Read 3062 times)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bentley Family Walsall
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 13:12 BST (UK) »
I'll just check the records I found again

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 13:41 BST (UK) »
I have entered more details which I have taken from the image -not from a transcription - her age is given as 24

I have looked at the Old Bailey report which looks like a transcription and Lydia Stevens is recorded as Letitia Stevens
The record I posted was my transcription from a handwritten image

There are many trees on A******y several look like copies
some have birth as 24  sept 1865 some as 1868
some (many) have 2 and sometimes 3 years of arrival in New South Wales arrival 1788 1798 1793
most have her marrying Frederick meredith 1801
some have her giving birth to a son John Peak 1798

I don't think many of them are very well sourced

Who was john bentley's wife who has Sarah in her tree?

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gr_oxy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 21 September 17 09:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Suz,
Firstly to the John Bentley:
The president of the Frederick Meredith Descendants group sent me this info this week -
`````````
The tree referred to of John Bentley's has the following first entry
1st Generation

William Mason
Born      -
Mar.      1- 2- 1583 St, Matthews Walsall Elnor Hanson
Died      1615 Walsall
Bur.      3- 6- 1615 St. Matthews Walsall

This was the text of her email
(nb Pat Meredith was the esteemed researcher of the family and was great at finding lots of info and details about the family)

Pat Meredith sent the list to me, copied to about half a dozen others, on 14 November 2003. Alice Stilk from the Liverpool (NSW) Family History group had sent much of the information to Pat and when Pat asked for the source of the information she was told John Bentley who lives in Walsall and his wife is a relation of Sarah Mason. Our Sarah Mason is the 43rd person shown in that tree.  Pat didn’t pass on John Bentley’s contact details but he was living in Walsall in 2003 but that is 14 years ago so he may or may not still be living.
`````````````
So now you know as much as I do, Suz - this Mason must somehow be related to the Bentley's but no idea of the link. Are you of the Bentley clan, or Walsall related, or do you just like helping lost people like me  :)

Can I ask where did you find the court doc for Sarah ?

We have a very good record of Sarah's life in Australia, I'm just trying to find where her family came from and Walsall seems a good place to start. I currently have 5 people I'm trying to follow back to the UK, after many years I'm beginning to think I should give up ??? Our BDM is great (when they have a record) but I believe errors in family history and record keeping need to be sorted out and corrected if we can.

Yes A****y causes me more grief than joy, as I like to have 2 real ref docs for each person I include in my tree. I'm only doing the direct line of descent, not collecting huge numbers of people so I'm in no rush to do each entry.

So that's it from sunny Sydney, we're heading for 30 deg C on the weekend, and it's not even Summer yet. Hope you enjoy your weekend too

Robin

I found john peak reg PEAK  JOHN 780/1798 V1798780 1A  JOHN  SARAH (MASON) and 2 more in our BDM, wow you have certainly given me something to think about ;D