Author Topic: Fitzgerald's of The Abbey Skibbereen / Lisbealad Dunmanway Cork  (Read 13814 times)

Offline vmccarthy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fitzgerald's of The Abbey Skibbereen / Lisbealad Dunmanway Cork
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 13:18 GMT (UK) »
hello Anna!
I found this forum as I was searching for info on my relatives descended from Daniel the master McCarthy. I am the great granddaughter of him and Kate (O'Driscoll), whose daughter Catherine Teresa (Tess) was my grandmother. I loved reading about your search, you seem as avid a researcher as I am.  I would love to fill in the gaps myself about Mary Kate (Daniel and Margaret's) first daughter.  Not sure if you know or not, but they had 2 children before she died at 29 I Andorra from a fall from horse and cart (fractured spine).  They had a son Cornelius Gerald b 6/15/1891 died at age 7 on 7/27/1898 (also so sad!)  After he and Kate O'Driscoll married, they went on to have 10 more children, one of whom they names Cornelius Stephen (perhaps to keep the strong family name - Cornelius was Kate's father and grandfather's name.
I see my catching up with you here is some years later than your original posts, but I would love to know - Were you able to find your Fitzgerald relatives for the reunion in Skibbereen? I am going to be in Ireland in May 2017 and plan to go through Drimoleague/Drinagh/Carrigbawn in Cork to see where my grandmother Tess was raised. she eventually emigrated to the US and settled in Springfield, MA

Offline annafitznorris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 15:32 GMT (UK) »
....I,m pretty sure that I put the Joslyn / McCarthy info on RootsChat but right now I am unable to locate it and its not helping that I'm heading out right now....
Chat soon
Anna

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 15:48 GMT (UK) »
....I,m pretty sure that I put the Joslyn / McCarthy info on RootsChat but right now I am unable to locate it and its not helping that I'm heading out right now....
Chat soon
Anna

You can just check your posts.....

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=208858
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline vmccarthy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 17 January 17 21:02 GMT (UK) »
thanks for the reply! I wasn't sure u were still on the site, since I just joined.
I have been busy searching both of my sides of the family as my grandmother was daughter of Daniel,
but my grandfather (also a McCarthy) was from Green Street, Dingle, County Kerry. even though I have EU Citizenship and much info, it's been awhile since I lived in UK and live in U.S. presently and it's really addictive to do all this research!!!
in the last 48 hours, I think I traced my West Cork roots to the early 10th century, holy moly!!
I prefer to be in the archives personally, but alas, i'm across the pond!
my son is 10 and very excited about all this family he has!!! (he's an only child!)
If you want any info on Daniel (since he fathered some of those Fitzgerald's) let me know!

Offline annafitznorris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 20 February 17 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
Well I had always sort of taken it that Mary Kate stayed in Ireland. I had her in the 1901 and 1911 census....at that time she was living with her Dad and his new wife Kate.

So I recently discovered that in 1917 in Hastings she married Cecil Theophilus Joslyn. On the marriage cert her Dad is Daniel...School master.
They had a number of children some of whom died in infancy.
Perhaps it will be possible down the line to make contact with some descendants of theirs. I really need to ascertain for certain that the MK I have mentioned is in fact daughter of my Grandaunt.

Yes Fitzgerald gathering was great but also lots of stress.
I hope that you have a great holiday in West Cork and that you connect up with loads of cousins.
No doubt we will be in touch again
Best wishes
Anna

Offline Pjoslyn

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 14 October 21 19:56 BST (UK) »
Hi I’m not totally sure what this thread is about but I’ve been searching my family history with my son for homework and noticed the name Cecil Joslyn. I can confirm he was my grandfather. I thought Mary McCarthy was his mother but this seems to be saying she was his wife? Very confusing. Anyway Cecil lived in London and eventually ended up in St Albans, Herts. I now live in London with my children but really want to visit my roots in Skibbereen….sorry posting this years after the last post!

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 15 October 21 10:12 BST (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

.......noticed the name Cecil Joslyn. I can confirm he was my grandfather. I thought Mary McCarthy was his mother but this seems to be saying she was his wife?

From FreeBMD https://www.freebmd.org.uk/ here's the 1917 marriage.

Marriage      Sep 1917   
Joslyn    Cecil T    McCarthy    Hastings    2b   88
McCarthy    Mary K    Joslyn       Hastings    2b   88

Also from FreeBMD there are 9 children born in West Ham (W Ham) the first of which was-
Birth       Jun 1918   
Joslyn    Cecil T    McCarthy (MMN)    W.Ham    4a   260

Are you confusing the two?

Enjoy the search !

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline annafitznorris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 15 October 21 10:47 BST (UK) »
Hi KG
Thank you for that post.
I will revert back to you later on this evening with the information I have on Mary Kate McCarthy
Regards
Anna

Offline annafitznorris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 15 October 21 20:27 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
My grandaunt Margaret Fitzgerald married Daniel McCarthy of Carrigbawn, Drinagh, Co Cork on
11th September 1888

Margaret died on the 19th December 1893 as a result of an accident.

One of the children from that marriage was Mary Kate born 21st August 1889.

I came across a marriage cert some time ago ....marriage of Cecil Joslyn and Mary Kate McCarthy.
Marriage took place August 1917.

Of course I can't be certain that the Mary Kate is daughter of my grandaunt Margaret, and indeed her age in 1917 would be out of sync with her dob.
Her father's name is correct and he was a teacher.

Regards
Anna