Author Topic: Fitzherbert Alford married in Southwark, 1792  (Read 3177 times)

Offline DOMJ49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Fitzherbert Alford married in Southwark, 1792
« Reply #9 on: Monday 30 December 13 11:13 GMT (UK) »
And here's the second post, this time going backwards.

The father of John Alford (the father of the 1752 Fitzherbert) was probably Samuel Alford.  His wife was Hannah and John was baptised in Frome (near Beckington) in 1718.  I think this Samuel Alford died in 1762, which would account for John's youngest son being called Samuel in 1763.

The Frome records show the burial of a 'Fitsharbut' Alford, son of Samuel, in 1713.  To my mind, this is clearly Fitzherbert spoken (and copied down) with a strong West Country accent and means he was John's brother who died young (or possibly half brother, since no mother is mentioned).

That's as far back as I can definitely go.  At the latest, Samuel would have been born in the 1690s.  But here's an interesting thing.  In September 1700 a Mary Alford married a William Fitzherbert in Chideock, in Dorset.  Is this how the name got into the Alfords?  But so far I have not been able to link Mary with Samuel.

Hope this is some help. Whenever you want I can put together a package for you that enlarges on this stuff and contains more circumstantial information.

Offline Lostris

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • diebus numerati sunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 30 December 13 16:19 GMT (UK) »
This is very much appreciated!

I am sending you a private message (access via your Profile page) to put you in touch with the Mr Alford I have been helping.

Kindest regards, L

Offline Gary S

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 22 September 18 11:35 BST (UK) »
Hi DOMJ49,

May I ask what sources you used to determine the ancestors of the 1752 Fitzherbert?  I'm researching the same line. 

I've tried all the name variants you suggest (plus more!), but I am struggling to find any record of him.  I've also tried searching by the parents names and his birth year, but still no results.  Admittedly I am only using FamilySearch.org.  Perhaps this site has limitations compared to a paid site?

Any help appreciated.

Many thanks,

Gary

Offline Gary S

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 24 October 19 23:10 BST (UK) »
I have since located the baptism record in question. On Ancestry.com the name is transcribed as “Phikurbith Alford”. The record is dated 8th Dec 1752 in Beckington, Somerset.

Offline DOMJ49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 25 October 19 16:33 BST (UK) »
I examined the original record under magnification a few years ago, and with the benefit of knowing the answer I can persuade myself that the transcription is wrong (not surprising) and that the original entry reads 'Phitzurburt'. I'm not sure how to insert an image on this system (I don't use it very much) but if you email me at domj49'at'yahoo.co.uk I will send you an image of this (if you're interested)

David