Author Topic: Anyone with connections to the townland of Aghowle, Ashford Co Wicklow?  (Read 8304 times)

Offline bandc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am from the townland of Aghowle, a few miles outside Ashford and am hoping to put together a local history of the townland, tracing back the people who have lived and farmed here in the 1900s and 1800s. If anyone out there has ancestors from this townland or any connections to it I would love to hear from you. Am also looking at events related to the townland e.g. electricifation in mid 1950's and plantation of the state forest here, I think around 1920s. for those not now local to Wicklow this Aghowle is not connected to the parish of Aghowle in the west of the county, but is a small townland about 4 miles from Ashford, Glenealy and Rathdrum.

Offline powerwicklow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone with connections to the townland of Aghowle, Ashford Co Wicklow?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 November 14 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret.

I hope seeing a reply here doesn't disappoint when you see I have no new information for you but thought it might be a good place to make contact to bring your thread back up the board.

Congrats on your article in the recent " Roundwood Historical Journal " . Sad but very interesting knowing where it all happened. The board here so far has not proved beneficial to your research but bringing it to the attention of the locals through the journal will have to reap some rewards .

I believe the journal launch on Saturday night was a very well attended and a good night. We were all set to be there but work delayed myself and Catherine had to divert else where on the night. I called to Roundwood today to pick up a copy and was raging on hearing that on Saturday night all 25 copies of the journal were on sale. I am missing a few.

I see looking through your postings you are interested in a Tyrrell family in Arklow. I must have a look through my own tree as I have several Tyrrels from the Arklow area in it.

Again congrats.
John
Webster , Parker and Smith in Wicklow. Power , Lewis and Livingstone in Carlow and Wexford. Forde in Monaghan . Orr in Cavan.

Offline bandc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks John, for reactivating my original post- at this stage I had nearly forgotten about it myself!.

Just to add to my original request, the names of the families that were living in the townland of Aghowle in the late 1700s and during the 1800s included - Shannons, Shorts, McDaniels, Wards, Reillys Hattons, Morans, Smiths, Powers, Edges, Carys, and Tooles (along with Doyles and Byrnes - which were probably in every Wicklow townland as well).
A lot of these families were still there in the 1900s and were joined by Bradshaws, Lees, O Briens, Farrells and Connollys. So Again if anyone has any possible connections to the families or the townland feel free to get in touch.
John, like yourself I did not manage to get to the launch of the Roundwood Historical Journal on Saturday but would have loved to have got some of the back issues of the Journal.

Offline powerwicklow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 November 14 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret.

I was hoping you would have spares of the Roundwood Journal that I am missing. Have most of them except some of the hard to get ones. 3,4,5,10 and 11 . I should have a spare No 1. A couple of years ago I came across a book published in 1985 by M.G.Nevin called "Roundwood and Moneystown, an Essay in Parish History.. Must have a read through it and see if there is anything that may help yourself. You may have it.

At the moment with a couple of friends we are researching a Webster family on the far side of the hill , on the Glenealy side . The Bradshaw surname has popped up here. If I can connect anything we find with your families in Aghowle I will let you know. A few years ago I put together a few bits and pieces for a Smith family in the area. It was pre the technology era we live in now and I may of just handed over all I found and may not have copies. Again I will have a look for you.

Was I to scan Catherine's, fathers acc book on who he thrashed for, for you ?

John
Webster , Parker and Smith in Wicklow. Power , Lewis and Livingstone in Carlow and Wexford. Forde in Monaghan . Orr in Cavan.

Offline bandc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 28 November 14 00:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi John, it would be great if you could scan some of the account book for the thrashing for me, especially the ones around Aghowle/Ballycullen/Slanelough area, it is a great record of who was farming there at that time and ties in very well with my research. My email is familyroots@topmail.ie

Thanks for the offer of the book on Roundwood and Moneystown parish, actually my sister dug up a copy for me from somewhere earlier this year, it does contain a number of interesting pieces re the area.
If you do have anything on the Smiths that would be good, there were two families connected to Aghowle, the first was a George Smith, who married a Jane Story in Nuns Cross church in the late 1850s, his address was Kilfea and he was a school teacher, seems the couple moved to Enniskerry then for a few years, where they had two children baptized in the Powerscourt parish, before moving to Aghowle in 1862. Sometime around the late 1860s George died and his widow remarried Edward Smith a harness maker/saddler. Edward was an ancestor of the current Smiths that still live in the area, and I have good records for his family, but do not know if he and George were related.

The Bradshaws that lived in Aghowle, came there from the Rathdrum/Dunganstown area around 1915. There werein the 1800s, and still are, Bradshaws around the townland of Ballymacsimon, which is close to Aghowle, but over Carrick hill.
I do not know if there is any connection between the Ballymacsimon Bradshaws and Richard Bradshaw who came to Aghowle, if you come across anything on them in your research let me know.
Thanks Margaret