Author Topic: On This Day in June........Tell us about your ancestors' anniversaries  (Read 42609 times)

Offline quest40

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: On This Day in June........Tell us about your ancestors' anniversaries
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 17:46 BST (UK) »
On 4 June 1901 my husband's grandparents, Percy James Albert Hitch and Gertrude Elizabeth January, were marred at St James Church, Enfield Highway, Middlesex. Percy was a barrel rifler at the Royal Small Arms Factory in Enfield.
Conquest, Crowsley, Giovannelli, Kingham, Marshall, Sewell, Wilson, Ashwell

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 20:14 BST (UK) »
So many today, my ancestors are below and my husband's will be in the next post.

On 4 June 
Selina Benson (my aunt) married William Gibson at St Andrews Parish Church, Blackley, Lancashire in 1938.  When I was about 8 or so (late 1940s) he disappeared, I thought he’d gone to prison but I have no proof and think I must just have overheard something, this was in the time when children were seen and not heard, nor told any family secrets.  Many years later my brother who was 12 years younger than me told me that my aunt had been divorced all those years ago.  What a difference 12 years make, he knew all the family stories that I’d never been told most of them not even particularly interesting.

Martha Ann Brand (my g.g.aunt) married David Lynch at St Matthew’s Parish Church, Ardwick, Manchester in 1884

Ann Middleton  my 2 x g.g.aunt married Joseph Donald Gardner at the Priory Church of St Mary and St Michael, Cartmel, Lancashire in 1860

Clement Tubbs my 4 x g.grandfather was born in Haddenham, Cambridgeshire in 1762.  He was the father of my 2 x g.grandfather’s illegitimate father.  My 2 x g.grandfather knew who his father was and named him on his marriage certificate.

Clement Tubbs my half 2 x g.g.uncle was baptised at Holbeach, Lincolnshire in 1833.  He was a son of my 2 x g.grandfather’s illegitimate father, with his 2nd wife.

Abigail Tubbs my 4 x g.g.aunt was baptised at Holy Trinity Church, Haddenham, Cambridgeshire in 1760.  She was another member of the Tubbs family tree.

Ann Hayes my 3 x g.g.aunt was baptised at St Laurence Church, Frodsham, Cheshire in 1782

William Postlethwaite my 3 x g.g.uncle was buried at St Mary’s Parish Church, Dalton in Furness, Lancashire in 1805.  He was aged 21 months.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 20:16 BST (UK) »
Also on 4 June, my husband’s ancestors
James Buckley and Sarah Brierley his 5 x g.grandparents married at St Mary’s Church, Oldham, Lancashire in 1769

Geoffrey Whittaker his eldest half-brother was born in Denton, Lancashire in 1931.  I only knew him as an adult when in his 30s he was still living at home with his father and his stepmother (my husband’s mother) who he hated.  Eventually he moved out and bought his own home.  He used to visit his maternal gran every evening even though she succumbed to Alzheimers and had no idea who he was.  He never married and suddenly moved to an Arab country, where he apparently handed over all his wealth to an Arab family.  He died in Gibraltar some time in the 1990s we think.  No-one in the family knows why, although it was probably his heart as he was known to have heart disease.  No-one knows where he is buried, or what happened to any of his belongings.  His brother (my husband’s other half brother) only found out when he accidentally bumped into a mutual friend some time later.  All very odd.  I have my own opinion of what was happening in his life which I’ve never given, although my father voiced the same opinion to me.

Ann Eleanor Spraggett Binns and Susanna Binns my husband’s 2 x g.g.aunts were baptised at St Phillips Church, Birmingham in 1822.  They were not twins and they were born during the marriage of my husband’s 3 x g.grandmother’s first marriage, prior to her marrying my husband’s 3 x g.grandfather.

Amelia Anne Clark(e) and her twin brother Alfred James Clark(e) my husband’s 2 x g.g.aunt and uncle were baptised at St Mary’s Church, Warwick in 1839.  They are half siblings of the Binns girls above, having the same mother.

Samuel  Dyke my husband’s 4 x g.g.uncle was baptised at Hatton, Warwickshire in 1775.

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 07:22 BST (UK) »
On this day in 1671 Alice Lees married Jonathan Pickford at St Michael's, Ashton under Lyne

Alice was daughter of John Lees and Alice Bardsley and was apparently heiress of her mother's estate.

Jonathan was born in Macclesfield, and was a gentleman.
They had 6 children
Jonathan died at Macclesfield in 1689, Alice died at Alt Hill (Ashton u L) in 1720
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 08:42 BST (UK) »
Born today in Newington, London, a 1st cousin 2R, Jessie Pretoria Burgess;  daughter of George and Annie Catherine (nee Bird).  Jessie married William Amos Webb in 1923 in Camberwell and died in 1976 in Lewisham. I've no more details but had to include her........not found another Pretoria in my tree.  :)
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 09:04 BST (UK) »
June 4th

In 1840, my 3 x Great Aunt Antoinette Louisa Clark was born at 2 Charlotte St. Marylebone London. She was the youngest of 9 children of William Clark & (Judith) Maria Levi/Levy and sadly died at the age of 2 months

In 1849, Eleanor Lewis, widow of my 3 x Great Uncle William Bulloch died at Kirkdale, Liverpool. The death notice in the newspaper gives her age as 66, therefore a birthdate of 1818, but her age on the censues has varied widely, giving birthdates of 1821 - 1831.

Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 14:20 BST (UK) »
On 5 June
Geoffrey Catlow my husband’s 2nd cousin was born in Denton, Lancashire in 1935.  His sister and her husband went to New Zealand in 1963, followed by her parents in 1966 and then Geoffrey in 1971.  Geoffrey and his parents all died in New Zealand.

Ethel Laura Barnett my 1st cousin once removed was born at 23 Rosemary Lane, Canterbury in 1913

Sarah Gaunt (nee Batty) my 4 x g.grandmother was baptised at St John the Baptist Church, Penistone, Yorkshire in 1737

Dorothy Haworth (nee Mellor) my husband’s 2 x g.grandmother died at 12 Emily Street, Ardwick, Manchester in 1868.  The cause of her death was corroding ulcer of rectum 5 years, which sounds extremely painful.  I wonder if it was Crohns or other similar condition.  I’m assuming bowel cancer would have been recognized as such as her husband died of that 18 years later in 1886.  Dorothy was 46 and left 8 children, the youngest aged 6.

Ann Cockett (nee Day) was buried at All Saints Church, Holbeach, Lincolnshire in 1844.  I imagine her parents must have bought her gravestone as it is engraved “In memory of Ann daughter of John and Mary Day and wife of Charles Cockett who died June 1 1844 aged 28.  Right at the bottom of the gravestone and so worn away that it is not visible on the photograph we took, is the name of Ann’s baby daughter who died in January 1845.

Arthur Whittaker & Minnie Dawson my husband’s parents married at St Aidan’s Church, Manchester in 1936.  Arthur Whittaker was a widower with 2 young sons aged 5 and 4.  He was 30 and Minnie was 34 and a spinster.  I’m not sure why she chose to marry a man with 2 children unless she thought he was her only hope.  A couple of years after they married, she had a son who she absolutely adored and doted on, followed, much to her dismay, by my husband 5 years later.  It was not a happy marriage.

John Frederick William Alden my great uncle married Eleanor (known as Lena) Harriet Burns at St John Newington Church, Hull, in 1897.  John is not on the 1901 census, although it’s possible he was at sea.  He drowned at sea in 1906.  His wife was on the 1901 census with a 2 year old son.  It’s possible that she had at least one more child  before her husband’s death. Lena was not on the 1911 census either although there is a John Alden aged 11 in Newlands Orphanage with a younger brother Charles aged 5.  Lena re-married in Hull in 1913 to a widower with 3 children.  Hopefully, if the two boys who were in the orphanage were her 2 sons, she took them with her when she married.   I wonder how she was able to leave the 2 boys at Newlands (if they were her sons) when they weren’t actually orphans.

John Wilkinson and Anne Bell my 8 x g.grandparents married at Holme Cultram, Cumberland in 1673

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 16:33 BST (UK) »
On 5 June
Geoffrey Catlow my husband’s 2nd cousin was born in Denton, Lancashire in 1935.

I have Catlows = some were from Denton, but originated from Ashton under Lyne, back to Jonathan Catlow, curate and schoolmaster of Ashton under Lyne, it seems though that he came from Colne
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 17:01 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Simpson married Thomas Broadley 5 Jun 1786 at the parish church in Great Harwood, Lancashire. Since they were Catholic, they had probably already had a Catholic marriage at Dunkenhalgh Chapel. She was his third wife and they had seven children baptized at Dunkenhalgh. He was a calico printer. I have never found when she died. There are other Simpsons at the Chapel but I don't know if or how they were related to Elizabeth. cb
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)