Author Topic: Ryan/Aherne/Heffernan in Tipperary  (Read 8949 times)

Offline Lkgilligan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ryan/Aherne/Heffernan in Tipperary
« on: Sunday 02 June 13 18:47 BST (UK) »
Looking for any info as we've hit a wall

My maternal 2nd great grandparents were Patrick Ryan and Margaret Aherne from Tipperary.  We found a copy of their marriage certificate online for Feb 1872. It list the address for Patrick as Carherne and for Margaret Glenough. The priest is booted as W.Cannon Wall. Father of Patrick is listed as Patrick Ryan, both farmers. Margaret's parents are listed as John Aherne and Margaret Heffernan, farmers. The witnesses are Margaret Keeffe and John ONeill. The parish is listed as Kilpatrick.

Patrick (son) supposedly had at least 2 brothers. The story we recently discovered is that Patrick and his brothers were part of the resistance. Patrick wrote poetry to incite the masses. Patrick and his brothers had to leave Ireland quickly. Patrick came to Brooklyn, New York. One brother went to Chicago and one went to Australia.

Patrick and Margaret had several children.
Julia Agnes Ryan Oct 1885 address is listed as Carrow Upper in Kilpatrick Parish. Witnesses to baptism were Mary Dwyer and Rody Aherne.
Bridget Josephine Ryan born Jan 1888. We always knew her as Della, just discovered her legal name in Ireland was Bridget.
John Ryan born May 1876 baptized Aug 1876 Kilpatrick Parish
Mary Ryan born Aug 1883 baptized Sept 1883 Kilpatrick parish
Margaret Ryan born Oct 1877 baptized Oct 1877 Kilpatrick parish
James Ryan born Ireland
Ella Ryan born in Us
Also have found a record of a Cornelious Ryan born to them June1879 Kilpatrick Parish but we find no other trace of him. He doesn't show up on any records in the US with the rest of the family.

Patrick Ryan and Margaret Aherne arrived in Brooklyn New York in 1890. The sponsor on his Naturalization Paperwork is a Timothy Ryan.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan/Aherne/Heffernan in Tipperary
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 June 13 22:36 BST (UK) »
Hi ref your post. When Patrick & Margaret went to US in 1890 did all their children emigrate with them?
What information do you hope to discover? :)

Offline Lkgilligan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 03 June 13 01:47 BST (UK) »
We thought all the children came with them. In my research we found a birth certificate for a Cornelious Ryan. All the US records have no mention if him.
We are hoping to find siblings of both Patrick Ryan and Margaret Aherne. We also want information on their parents. We have parent names from their death certificates but no other info.
We have no leads on any of them.

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 03 June 13 02:07 BST (UK) »
Hi, Patrick & Margaret would have been born before Civil Reg in Ireland in 1864. You could try www.rootsireland.ie which has births & marriage records for most counties in Ireland.
The query I had re Corneilus was as you can not find him in Us, there is a possibility that he may have died before them emigrated. :) Where did you locate Patrick/Margarets marriage record?

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 03 June 13 21:55 BST (UK) »
Looking at the residence given for Patrick Ryan and Margaret Ahern - Glenough is in Clonoulty R.C. parish but the records are not online -can be seen on microfilm in the National Library Dublin and Tipperary Heritage Centre commissioned research only at www.tfhr.org
I haven't come across Carherne as a placename - Do you have the original marriage cert as it may show something different - I have come across another posting re Bridget Ryan's birth cert on another board and it gives birthplace as Carhue Upper which would be in Knockavilla R.C parish (records not online) - Kilpatrick is the civil parish- and wonder if Carherne should be Carhue. 
annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 June 13 21:03 BST (UK) »
Do you have obituaries for Patrick or Margaret?  Sometimes they will list surviving siblings, which may help you.  www.fultonhistory.com has some Brooklyn papers from the late 1800's/early 1900's.

Offline Lkgilligan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 June 13 14:56 BST (UK) »
Patrick and Margaret died in the US. We have found a obit for Patrick that just states what happened to him.
Still at a stand still finding their birth certificates or any siblings.
Thank you for all the suggestions.

Offline Happy Chappy :-)

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 17 August 13 20:03 BST (UK) »
Hi

I came across some old photo of some of my  mums distant  cousins who went to the States
one of the address on the back of the photo is  Mathew Ryan, 4 Strange Place, Brooklyn NY-
The Ryan would of been from south tipperary -

Regards
Steve

Offline Lachelle

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 June 14 12:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I think our family's might be connected. I have also hit a bit of a wall as Irish records are hard to access from Australia. When I first read your post I thought that my great great grandfather was a brother of your Patrick Ryan but now I'm not so sure. I do think though that my great great grandmother is a sister of your Margaret Ahern.

My Great great grandfather was William Timothy Ryan who married Bridget Ahern in Brisbane Australia in 1894. Bridget came from Rossmore/Glenough Tipperary while William was born in Victoria Australia.

William's parents were Patrick Ryan and Mary O'Brien. Patrick and Mary were both from Tipperary but they were married in Victoria Australia in 1858, and I have birth records for these 3 children: John Patrick (1859), Jeremiah (1860), and my William Timothy (1864). I have recently found out that they also had 3 other children, Bridget Mary (1862-1863), Pierce Joseph (1867), and Mary Kate (1868). I have also found out recently that the family moved back to Ireland around 1872. I'm not sure why, as most people who emigrated to Australia usually stayed on. I haven't come across any other families in my tree who moved back to their country of origin.

From what I have been told, most of the family stayed in Ireland but John Patrick, William Timothy and Mary Kate all moved back to Australia and settled in Queensland.

William Timothy's wife, Bridget Ahern's parents are John Ahern and Margaret Heffernan. I think Bridget is your Margaret's sister.

Interestingly I was also told that William's brother, Pierce Joseph married a Margaret Ahern in 1894 in Ireland. I don't know where the person got this information from. I did wonder whether Pierce's wife Margaret, and Bridget were sisters but maybe the information about Pierce marrying Margaret was wrong or maybe this Margaret Ahern was a cousin of Bridget's and not her sister. A lot of family members often had the same names, daughters named after mothers or grandmothers etc.

I was also told that Jeremiah and Pierce were in the R.I.C (Royal Irish Constabulary) which didn't surprise me as Patrick (the father) was a constable in Australia when his children were born. I was surprised though to hear you talk of some of the brothers being in the resistance. So another clue that maybe my Ryan family and your Ryan family may not be immediate family. It's probable they could be cousins but I wonder if they are brothers. I think we need more concrete information. It would help if I could find some death certificates.

I would love to know where you found Patrick and Margaret's marriage certificate. I have searched rootsireland for records but haven't found any for this family, I don't think the records for some parts Tipperary are online.

Did Patrick and Margaret's marriage certificate list their age? I'm starting to wonder if the Patrick who married Margaret Ahern was my William's father or cousin and not his brother. William's father Patrick was born in Thurles Ireland around 1829. His parents were Patrick Ryan and Anne. The writing on his marriage record is difficult to read but it looks like his mother's surname may have been Daniel, Anne Daniel.

I can give you more information about Bridget Ahern if you like. I haven't found a birth record for her yet but I have her marriage and death certificate and it sounds as though she may be your Margaret Ahern's sister.

Look forward to hearing from you,
Lachelle