Author Topic: John Nap/Knapp/Knap/Napp in Rutland born c. 1748?  (Read 3950 times)

Offline joenix

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Nap/Knapp/Knap/Napp in Rutland born c. 1748?
« on: Tuesday 04 June 13 16:49 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I´m trying to trace the birth of a direct descendent; John Napp born approximately 1748 (maximum 5 years either side).
Seeing as the family did not move far in 250 years I am hoping he was born close to the Corby area (especially Weldon & Deene where he died).
However, this means contacting a variety of look-up services as this area borders on the N'pton/Rutland/Leics/Cambs & Hunts area...so if you have read this message before you now know why  ;) . I have no idea who (if any) his siblings are. Or the parents, for that matter.
There are a family of Knapps in Belton born during the time I´m looking at, and Belton being just a few miles from Weldon I am wondering if he comes from this area.
Could someone please check the parish records? The IGI is incomplete and often wrong (a mormon aunt 'researched' my family a number of years ago and based it entirely on guess work).
John was living in Little Weldon, Northants by 1772 where he married an Elizabeth Gilby. Seeing as the entire family have been labourers and agricultural workers for a long time I doubt he went on The Grand Tour inbetween.
There are other families in the area (Cottesmore/Langham), and I have contacted the look up service for Leics, but the one John found wasn´t mine. If the Rutland records are included in those of Leicestershire, then please accept my apologies.
Thank you in advance for your time,
Sarah Knapp
Bruges, Belgium.

Offline jadzia

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: John Nap/Knapp/Knap/Napp in Rutland born c. 1748?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 June 13 11:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I've checked the Rutland records I have and the only John Nap/Knapp/Knap/Napp's were born nowhere near the dates you have for your John, there were lots of entry's for other first names. One interesting entry that may or may not help is:

1 Aug 1738, Unknown first name Knap, Son of William and Jane, in Belton.

I have the Knapp family from Chadwell, Leicestershire in my ancestry but the only John I have was born in abt 1835.

:)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline joenix

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John Nap/Knapp/Knap/Napp in Rutland born c. 1748?
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 July 15 11:48 BST (UK) »
I'm making a tentative link to John Knapp born Husband's Bosworth until I can get more proof.

Thank you!

Sarah