Author Topic: Ward Family  (Read 1592 times)

Offline kingsville

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ward Family
« on: Thursday 13 June 13 13:37 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any information on Henry Ward son of George Ward and husband of Margaret Davies. They were married at the Saron Chapel in Tredegar in March of 1846.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Ward Family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 June 13 15:22 BST (UK) »
Hi

The 1851 has this entry for Tredegar but you haven't given any details of Henry's birthplace or birthyear so I'm guessing it's them.  Somebody called mkc claiming to be a family member has notified a transcription error back in 2011 as Henry was shown as Word

Henry 28 b Merthyr Glamorgan - coal miner
Margaret 24 b Cardigan, Llechryd or Llethead??
Hiram 2 b Tredegar Monmouth
HO107 Piece 2448 Folio 149 Page 11

1861 for Tredegar shows Margaret as aged 32 b Cardigan and married but no Henry

There are 2 x 12yr old sons - Hiram and Joseph plus Henry aged 7 - all b Tredegar.  Joseph does not appear on the 1851
RG9 Piece 3999 Folio 56 Page 21

A strange 1871 entry for Tredegar

Margaret Ward widow 41 b Cardigan - washerwoman
Henry 1 son b Tredegar

RG10 Piece 5319 Folio 42 Page 25
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline kingsville

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 June 13 16:12 BST (UK) »
Carol,
thank you so much for the reply. Henry the 7 year old listed in 1861 census is my great-grandfather. His father Henry is the one (born in 1823 in Merthyr Tydfil) is the one I am trying to find information on his death. Seems as though he simply disappeared. Margaret and all of her sons immigrated to the US in the following years.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 June 13 17:12 BST (UK) »
There is no death for Henry snr and I found it strange that in 1871 Margaret had another son called Henry so wondered if he was a grandson incorrectly shown as son.  Henry snr does not appear on any later census

One (gruesome) thought I had was that he may have been killed in a pit collapse and his body never recovered.  I have a vivid imagination at times ::)

Hiram is still in Wales in 1881 having married in 1876 to either Mary Thomas or Mary Reeves.  He then disappears.

There is a Joseph Ward b 1851 Monmouth on the 1891 census.  Unmarried and in lodgings in Newport.  He then disappears

I can't find either Margaret or the 2 Henry's on the 1881 or subsequent censuses so possibly they emigrated first followed by Hiram and then Joseph
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 June 13 17:30 BST (UK) »
21st June 1865 - 27 men killed at Bedwelty Pits - Tredegar but no Henry Ward listed

http://www.welshcoalmines.co.uk/DisastersList.htm

Offline kingsville

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 June 13 18:31 BST (UK) »
Carole,
Hiram and Joseph were twins, one immigrated with his mother and one married and stayed in Wales for a while. Henry ( my granddad came over first at the age of 17.) Funny thing I have also thought about a mine accident. There is a site that lists mine disasters and those killed but I have never found his name on any list. Sad to be gone and no one knows where you were buried. I still
believe it has to be somewhere around Tredegar. Hiram had a son Samuel who died at the age of 1 1/2 in October of 1878 and is buried in the Glanogwen burial ground. I still have not been able to find out is he as a stone or not.

Linda

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 June 13 18:51 BST (UK) »
Hi

I couldn't find a birth for Hiram earlier to check if Joseph was shown on the same page.  Just found him as Iram.  I see Joseph was with his Davies grandmother in 1851

Births June qtr 1849 

Iram Ward   Abergavenny  26 49   
Joseph Ward   Abergavenny  26 49