Author Topic: WILLIAM MCKEOWN b.Cork c.1818  (Read 3544 times)

Offline graham44

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WILLIAM MCKEOWN b.Cork c.1818
« on: Saturday 15 June 13 11:13 BST (UK) »
Hi, Is anybody in Ireland able to look up any records about this man?

He was the child of William McKeown b.c.1785 and Elizabeth b.c.1800, and states on his marriage record that he was b. Cork.

William senior was a soldier in the British Army, presumably he came from the North of Ireland since that seems to be where most of that surname is, and they all ended up on Jersey in the Channel Islands by 1841.

William junior had various siblings, b. Ireland, England, Gibraltar and Jersey, presumably where his father was stationed. Unfortunately I don't know which regiment his father was in, so looking up his military record might be difficult.

Thanks, Graham

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: WILLIAM MCKEOWN b.Cork c.1818
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 June 13 12:11 BST (UK) »
You usually need a little more information to start a search for records as early as this - e.g. what denomination were your McKeowns, what part of Co. Cork did they live ?

Cork is the largest county in Ireland and has over hundred Catholic and Church of Ireland parishes, plus various congregations of other denominations (Presbyterian, Baptist, Methodist etc..)

see : Introduction to Irish Records
        My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline graham44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 June 13 07:41 BST (UK) »
Yes, I'm sadly aware how little I know about this man's origins.
There is no mention of anything Catholic in later years on Jersey, so I would assume Protestant, especially if they originally came from the North.
If the father was working for the British Army, then it would mean somewhere there was a garrison, so maybe Cork City would be more likely than a country parish.
Other than that, I have little to go on at the moment

Graham

Offline graham44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 June 13 12:55 BST (UK) »
I can give some more information about William McKeown senior.

He was described as a soldier both in his son's marriage record in Jersey 1847, and his own death record on Jersey 1848.

He was b.c.1784 in Ireland, presumably the North given that surname, and married to Elizabeth, b.c.1800 and they are both on the Jersey 1841 census. There are mentions of Church of Ireland and Presbyterians in later records, so I don't think they were Catholics.

His first son stated that he was b. Cork c.1818, so was his father stationed there at that time? This seems unusual since I've read that the British Army discouraged soldiers from having wives and children (unless officers, and I have no reason to think he was that) and also that Irish soldiers were mostly sent abroad in case there was a revolt and they joined in on the wrong side !

His next recorded child was Margarite in Gibraltar c.1824, and there is a gap of 6 years there, so there might be 1 or 2 more there that I don't know about.

Then comes John McKeown b.c.1826; on the 1841 census it says b.Ireland, but in a newspaper report of his death on Jersey 1856 it calls him "of Gibraltar", but that may just mean that he previously came from there.

Next is James McKeown b.Woolwich Kent in 1828

Then Robert McKeown b. England c.1831 and I have just found a record in Tynemouth which may well be him, baptised to William and Elizabeth McKeown.

Lastly Mary Anne McKeown b. Jersey 1838

Hope this may mean something to somebody out there

Graham

Offline CathMaris

• RootsChat Extra
  • Happy to help in Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 May 16 08:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Graham

My great grandfather was Robert McKeown, born about 1849, County Tyrone. He married Julie Teresa O'Leary, born in Cork.

On the 1901 Census Robert, Julia and 9 children are living in Ringaskiddy, Cork. Robert and his eldest son William are working on an Island called Haulbowline in Cork Harbour, not far from Ringaskiddy. They were working in the stores there as packers. Haulbowline is the main naval base and headquarter of the Irish Naval Service.

On my grandparents marriage certificate (Peter Bond and Emily McKeown) Emily was their 6th child. Emily states that her father was a labourer at an Army Stores. From what I can find it has a Naval background, this may have been a mistake.

Not sure if we are related, I know some of their children move the the USA.

Regards

Cath
Annesley - IRL - Dublin
Bentley - GBR - London - AUS - NSW
Bond - IRL - Dublin
Brady - IRL - Dublin ?
Hinchey - IRL - Clare - AUS - Victoria
Kearns - IRL - Dublin?
Kennedy - IRL - Killaughey
McKeown - IRL - Cork - Tyrone
Middleton - GBR - Surrey - AUS - NSW
Mison - GBR - Kent?
O'Connor - IRL - Ballynacally- AUS - Victoria
O'Leary - IRL - Cork
Orr - GBR - Kent - Lancashire - AUS - Victoria
Payton - IRL - Killaughey - AUS - NSW and Vic
Warby - GBR - Hertfordshire - AUS - NSW

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 May 16 09:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Graham

My great grandfather was Robert McKeown, born about 1849, County Tyrone. He married Julie Teresa O'Leary, born in Cork.

On the 1901 Census Robert, Julia and 9 children are living in Ringaskiddy, Cork. Robert and his eldest son William are working on an Island called Haulbowline in Cork Harbour, not far from Ringaskiddy. They were working in the stores there as packers. Haulbowline is the main naval base and headquarter of the Irish Naval Service.

For reference, here's a link to previous thread on your McKeown family in Cork-
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=748501
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!