Author Topic: Todd Family  (Read 18673 times)

Offline roy french

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Todd Family
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 26 July 15 04:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Suz:

Wow, that is a lot of information for an 82 year old to absorb and dissect.  Little overwhelming but I will try to put it all in perspective.

You have confirmed my suspicion re William Todd having had a previous marriage.  Just have to figure out which Martha was his first wife.

I have William Jenkinson and Mary Gibson as Bridget and Jane's grandparents.  Her parents were also William and Mary but I don't yet have Mary's maiden name.

I am honestly a little confused with so much commonality in names.  Trying to figure it all out will the kind of challenge as therapy for mind accuity.  Beats crosswords.

Kind regards,

Roy French
Mississauga - Canada.

Roy French
Mississauga - Canada

Offline roy french

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 26 July 15 04:33 BST (UK) »
I sent this earlier as a personal message to Anthony.

Thought it might be of interest to others.

Other than the census records in Family Search, the only official document I have is a marriage certificate from 28 May 1858.  It details the marriage of Jane, the daughter of William Jenkinson and Mary ???, to my wife's great, great grandfather, Thomas Wilson. It shows that Jane was a servant working in Beck Bottom.  William Jenkinson is listed as quarryman.  Thomas Wilson was a miner. Probably coal miner but there was other significant minerals mined and quarried in the area.

Also at the time of the marriage, Jane had a 5 year old son, Charles Case Jenkinson.  The name was never changed so Charles was never officially adopted by Thomas Wilson, but he raised him as his son.

Do you know Jane's mother's maiden name. I have no information at all about her.

William's parents were also William and Mary. They were married 24 May 1812. Her maiden name is Gibson. Place of marriage is St. Bees but I do not know where the marriage took place.

I do not know when Jane Jenkinson died.  The family was in the 1871 Census, but not the 1881 census.  Sometime between those two census, Thomas Wilson returned to Co. Armagh, in Ireland, where he was born in 1826.  He died in 1897 and the farm was left to his son Moses.  All Thomas's children were born in Cumberland.

I have records for most of the Wilson children and Charles Jenkinson.  One still eludes me.  In his will Thomas Wilson left an allowance to his daughter Elizabeth Ann.  I cannot find a birth record for Elizabeth Ann Wilson but she was obviously still alive in 1897 to be included in her father's will.

Until I saw the RootsWeb postings I was completely unaware of the "Todd" connection. 

If you are interested, I can have one of my grandchildren e-mail you a copy of the Thomas Wilson - Jane Jenkinson marriage certificate.  My technical competency is minimal.

Regards.

Roy French
Mississauga - Canada.
Roy French
Mississauga - Canada

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 27 July 15 11:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Suz:

Wow, that is a lot of information for an 82 year old to absorb and dissect.  Little overwhelming but I will try to put it all in perspective.

You have confirmed my suspicion re William Todd having had a previous marriage.  Just have to figure out which Martha was his first wife.

I have William Jenkinson and Mary Gibson as Bridget and Jane's grandparents.  Her parents were also William and Mary but I don't yet have Mary's maiden name.

I am honestly a little confused with so much commonality in names.  Trying to figure it all out will the kind of challenge as therapy for mind accuity.  Beats crosswords.

Kind regards,

Roy French
Mississauga - Canada.

Hello Roy,

I will try to put the information in more order for you - that should make it easier .

I am (more than) a little excited today - our Great grandson put in an appearance at midnight !

Will be back later today

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline roy french

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 27 July 15 16:31 BST (UK) »
Congratulations Suz.

We have five great grandchildren and two just arrived from New Brunswick to spend a couple of weeks with the family in Ontario.

We are in the throes of an extended heat wave (almost 40C) so us old fogies have been alerted to stay indoors and keep hydrated.  Our daughter Kristen is taking the two young uns to Niagara Falls and a couple of water parks.   They don't seem to notice the heat.

Genealogy is great mind therapy for me.  I am not just a names and dates person.  It is extremely interesting to read the history behind the names and the local social conditions.

I was born and raised in Belfast, Ireland but emigrated to Canada in 1952.  Irish records are much more difficult but I am enjoying the challenge.

Kindest regards,

Roy French

Mississauga - Canada.
Roy French
Mississauga - Canada

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 28 July 15 00:02 BST (UK) »
Congratulations Suz.

Kindest regards,

Roy French

Mississauga - Canada.

Thank you -its always lovely to add a brand new family member to the tree

This may help piece things together

William Jenkinson was baptised Lamplugh Cumberland 4 Mar 1792 parents Joseph & Mary

William Jenkinson married 24 May 1812 St Bees Whitehaven Cumberland  to Mary Gibson

if you look up these places on Genuki you will see how close to each other they are and the churches in the area

1841 William & Mary Jenkinson are living next door to their daughter Martha (Jenkinson)(baptised 14 July 1816 and her husband William Todd -they married in 1840 (marriage reg Jun qtr 1840 on FreeBMD) They had a son Thomas with them.
William Todd & Martha had the following children :
Thomas Barnes Todd baptised 20 Sept 1840 died 22 mar 1855
William Todd c.1842 (baptism not found)
Mary Todd baptised 12 Jun 1842 died 5 Sept 1842
Mary Ann Todd baptised 14 Dec 1845
Elizabeth Todd b.c. 1849
Daniel Todd b.c.1845 baptised 29 Dec 1850 (parents given as William & Bridget -possibly as he was baptised after Martha had died)
Martha died 1849 death reg Dec qtr 1849.
William Todd remarried to Bridget Jenkinson ( his first wife Matha's sister)  It wasn't lawful to marry your wife's sister at that time -but lots did . The marriage to Bridget was registered Mar qtr 1850
Bridget and William had more children.

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline roy french

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 28 July 15 00:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for this Suz.

Genealogy is an obsessive hobby.  Until this last week I  had no real interest in the Todd connection.

Then I saw Anthony's post.  The Todds are a logical extension to my Wilson-Jenkinson line.

If Anthony is reading this, perhaps he could advise the parents of the William Todd who married the Jenkinson girls.  In Family search there are two or three possible candidates.  Just want to be sure I pick the right ones.

Thank you all and

Kindest regards,

Roy French
Roy French
Mississauga - Canada

Offline Anjotod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 28 July 15 00:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Roy,
Didn't know if you were interested in the Todd side but seeing that you are I will send you an invite
to look at my family tree
anthony

Offline Anjotod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 28 July 15 05:17 BST (UK) »
One for you Suzard.
How far back have you got on the Todd side of the Todd-Jenkinson family
anthony

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 28 July 15 11:18 BST (UK) »
as far back as I have posted - the possibility of parents of William Jenknson being Joseph and Mary

I am not connected to this line -just helping out with look ups

I am just going to see what I can find on the Wilson /Jenkinson connection

Suz