Author Topic: Genetic Split Across Offas Dyke  (Read 11258 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Genetic Split Across Offas Dyke
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 22 February 15 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Good map showing the distribution of L21 in Europe(from Eupedia):

Is a similar map available for haplotype I2B1 and if so where do I access it please?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline ke

• RootsChat Extra
  • Rogers Motto "nos nostraque deo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 22 February 15 20:12 GMT (UK) »
The Origins of the British by Stephen Oppenheimer traces the DNA history of Britain and is very interesting. My 7th cousins are organising the DNA project for my mother's family, Broadley (includes  related people named Bradley) and they are L21. The Broadley family comes from Halifax in Yorkshire. claytonbradley

Published in 2007?, most of Oppenheimer's idea's are out of date and totally wrong. I would recommend:

Ancestral Journeys: The Peopling of Europe from the First Venturers to the Vikings, by Jean Manco

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ancestral-Journeys-Peopling-Venturers-Vikings-ebook/dp/B00F0NI5J0/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1424629145&sr=1-1&keywords=dna+history+jean

Up to date, from an author who has been involved in the field for years. She's going to publish a revised edition soon, posts regularly on the anthrogenica forum:

http://www.anthrogenica.com/forum.php
Rogers,Arnett, Day,Wilkin, Gill, Leach, Harper, Dewsbury, Johnson, Thompson. (All from Cambridgeshire).

Y DNA: R1b DF27(Iberian Celtic)

Offline ke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 22 February 15 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Good map showing the distribution of L21 in Europe(from Eupedia):

Is a similar map available for haplotype I2B1 and if so where do I access it please?

Try:

Distribution of haplogroup I2a2 (formerly I2b) in Europe

Taken from: http://www.eupedia.com/europe/Haplogroup_I2_Y-DNA.shtml
Rogers,Arnett, Day,Wilkin, Gill, Leach, Harper, Dewsbury, Johnson, Thompson. (All from Cambridgeshire).

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 22 February 15 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for that.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 22 February 15 21:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the link, ke. So I've wasted my time reading that? Shucks.
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline Regorian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Griffiths Jnr c1914, HMS Achilles
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 22 February 15 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Offa's Dyke roughly follows the border between England and Wales. It was constructed in the 8th Century by King Offa of Mercia. The only purpose was as a defensive earthwork to keep the Welsh out of England. It's only value was if it was defended. Such a length could only be defended at points of attack, when and where they happened. They never happened.

Saxon England's deadly enemy was Scandinavian in general, Danish in particular. 65% of English now are mixed Scandinavian/German but all Germanics (Big DNA exercise undertaken 3 to 4 years ago). 35% others easily explained by internal immigration from Wales, Ireland and Scotland (let alone other immigrants).     
Griffiths Llandogo, Mitcheltroy, Mon. and Whitchurch Here (Also Edwards),  18th C., Griffiths FoD 19th Century.

Offline ke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 22 February 15 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the link, ke. So I've wasted my time reading that? Shucks.

Afraid so, It's a  waste of time because the field of genetic genealogy is progressive and so much has been learnt since then. Most of his theories were disproven later on.

Offline ke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 22 February 15 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Offa's Dyke roughly follows the border between England and Wales. It was constructed in the 8th Century by King Offa of Mercia. The only purpose was as a defensive earthwork to keep the Welsh out of England. It's only value was if it was defended. Such a length could only be defended at points of attack, when and where they happened. They never happened.

Saxon England's deadly enemy was Scandinavian in general, Danish in particular. 65% of English now are mixed Scandinavian/German but all Germanics (Big DNA exercise undertaken 3 to 4 years ago). 35% others easily explained by internal immigration from Wales, Ireland and Scotland (let alone other immigrants).   

I agree with most what you're saying there, but I do think some Celts survived in England in the post Anglo-Saxon period. For instance I'm East Anglian but my ydna is Iberian Celtic. So not all Celtic ancestry comes from internal immigration.

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 23 February 15 07:48 GMT (UK) »
Quote from: ke
For instance I'm East Anglian but my ydna is Iberian Celtic.
I am showing my ignorance and maybe I need to study DNA further but I want to ask about this statement.

Surely there is a mixture and this ydna strand has the strongest %.

Can you explain further or point out some links elsewhere that will. I have read some of Cruwys? posts on DNA and while I have the basics I tend to lose sight on how someone can claim '' oh I come from Vikings'' as its my understanding that yes you have SOME Viking DNA but you are also full of other strands.

Or have I missed the point?
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072