Author Topic: Agnes Melvin - the woman who didn't die.  (Read 2801 times)

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Agnes Melvin - the woman who didn't die.
« on: Tuesday 18 June 13 18:23 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

I'm struggling to find a death entry on Scotlandspeople and wondered if I could enlist some fresh eyes to try and find it, please.

I've been trying to find a death entry for Agnes MELVIN, who lived in Whitburn all of her life, and is recorded on the 1911 census as being 85. She also appears on the 1915 Valuation Rolls at 53 East Main Street. I can't imagine she lived much longer than this, being almost if not at the age of 90. She was the daughter of Alexander Melvin and Agnes Weir, but I cannot find her in West Lothian. I checked also in Midlothian in case she was in hospital in Edinburgh, but again, nothing.

If anyone can help, I'd be very grateful, please. She's the last Melvin sibling and I'm determined to find her. I doubt she'd have emigrated at her age. She was a spinster all of her life and had one daughter, Christina, who married George Watson. I'd half expect either of those two individuals to be informants on her death certificate as her last sibling died in 1907.

Many thanks,

Matt.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Agnes Melvin - the woman who didn't die.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 13:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt

She could well have lived past 'nearly 90'!

There is a death of an Agnes MELVIN age 100 registered in 1920 - in Kincardine.

Do you know where her daughter & son-in-law were living between 1911-1920 ish - maybe she went to them?

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 16:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Ambly,

I think it would be odd if Agnes had moved to Kincardineshire if Christina and George Watson (her daughter and son in-law) did not go too. I don't know where they went after 1915 but during that year, a widowed Christina is living with her mother, to whom she paid rent.

Agnes was born 1825 which could well mean that the 1920 entry which has her at 100 is a bit out.

She likes hiding doesn't she?!

Regards,

Matt.

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 16:41 BST (UK) »
I've just purchased Christina's death certificate. She died in November 1916 aged 69, and Agnes is not listed as deceased on her death certificate. But the certificate is signed by her neighbour...

Offline carlineric

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 17:50 BST (UK) »
According to the WLFHS burial CD 1 she died 11 November 1922 aged 97 and she was resident at Harlaw, Whitburn. Also buried in the grave are daughter Christina and son in law George Watson.

Eric

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 18:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Eric.

Thanks a lot for that information...some progress at last it would seem! I've been meaning to get hold of the West Lothian burial CDs as I have a lot of family in the Whitburn/Fauldhouse areas. Is the CD for burials, or is it an MI collection?

Thanks again, you've come up trumps!

Regards,

Matt.

Offline carlineric

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 19:13 BST (UK) »
The CDs are transcriptions of the burial registers which are held by West Lothian Council. There are three in the set

1 Fauldhouse 187-1975; Linlithgow 1884-1975; Livingston 1898-1975; Whitburn 1862-1975; Woodbank 1899-1977

2 Bathgate Glasgow Road 1860-1975; Bathgate Boghead 1936-1975; Mid Calder 1895-1975; East Calder Churchyard 1908-1970; Kirknewton 1902-1975; Winchburgh 1906-1975

3 Ecclesmachan 1894-1975; Uphall 1893-1975; West Calder 1867-1975; West Calder Churchyard 1856-1935

They are available from West Lothian Family History Society on http://www.wlfhs.org.uk/.

Another place to look for the death would be, I think I'm correct, Carluke for Law Hospital.

Eric

Offline Matt R

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 June 13 19:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you Eric...sounds like I need CD number 1...and furthermore I have a payment to make to WLFHS :D

In the last few moments, I've actually found a death for an Agnes MLLVILLE, which on the SP index appears as MELVILLE, dying on 11/11/1922 in Eccles, Berwick. I cannot fathom what a 97 year old lady was doing there having obviously moved from Whitburn village, but the certificate, although not naming either of her parents, does fit with the details you gave for the lady buried with Christina and George.

Also...her abode on the certificate is listed as "Harlaw, Eccles". Some disparity, yes, but I think conclusive enough to conclude this search.

Thank you again for looking up that burial for me and putting me in the direction of the WLFHS.

Regards,

Matt :)