Author Topic: "Annals of Sanquhar" by Tom Wilson  (Read 13095 times)

Offline CelticAncestry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
"Annals of Sanquhar" by Tom Wilson
« on: Saturday 11 June 05 14:41 BST (UK) »
Is there anyone out there who has viewed this book (published circa 1920's)?  Is there anyone who can give me specific information about Tom Wilson's sources.  I have a copy and there is extensive information about my John Barrie family (Robert Barrie etc); however what information has been written cannot be verified.  Would like to know where Wilson got his information.

Offline treesearcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: "Annals of Sanquhar" by Tom Wilson
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 November 09 21:16 GMT (UK) »
I'm sorry, I can't answer your question, but perhaps you wouldn't mind helping me? Are there any references to either Turnbulls or Bells in the book? Thanks so much, Jane

Offline kimhulme

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 January 10 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Peter Turnbull of 4 Church Road, Sanquhar, was an engineer and axle manufacturer, blacksmith, general jobber etc. in 1908 according to accounts I have.

Offline treesearcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 January 10 00:58 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou for that...Jane   :)

Offline lud

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 January 10 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Friends,
just a guess, could Tom Wilson have gleaned some information from Dr J Moir Porteus book, "Gods Treasure House in Scotland".
here is a link for burials in Sanquhar by Tom Wilson hope this is of interest, http://www.rootschat.com/links/07wg/
Regards
Lud

Offline lyncat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 September 11 21:17 BST (UK) »
I have the book written by Tom I am a descendant of William Wilson. Tom was thanked for all the hours he spent going through all the records relating to the book. There is also another book which he finished that was started by William Wilson this book has never been published I have the hand written additions to it by Tom that book has been handed down through the family since the 1800's as per his instructions written in the book

Offline lud

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 October 11 13:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Lyncat,
what a pity the book was not published, I am sure it holds a wealth of information ,that would delight our fellow " Rootschatters" :'(
do you happen to have the parents names for Tom Wilson,  one of my ancesters married Mathew Wilson in Leadhills c 1845.

Offline lyncat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 October 11 15:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Lud
I will get back to you on that I have birth certificates to look through if I can remember where I put them for safekeeping . Tom Wilson was a great great great uncle of mine. I get lost on the greats. I will hunt it out and get back to you it would look like we are related.

Offline lyncat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 October 11 20:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Lud
I checked the book memorials of Sanquhar Kirkyard by Tom Wilson published in 1912 which mentions his father direct descendant of Mathew Wilson all it says on him is he had a lease in lead mines in 1692 in Wanlockhead.Robert Wilson was a native of Wanlockhead and the son of William Wilson there. They were direct descendants of Matthew Wilson, who in the 17th century migrated from Allendale in Northumberland and settled in Wanlockhead here he obtained a 19 year lease on the mines.
 Tom Wilson's father William Wilson born 31/10/1830 in Sanquhar High Street, and died 4th January 1908 his mother Agnes M'Cririck who died 7th April 1910. William Wilson is buried in the cemetery at Sanquhar grave #506 I have to been to it. The visitors guide from 1886 by William Wilson I haven't found anything in it yet but will keep looking I hope this helps you