Author Topic: 1911 Census of Canada - Help please  (Read 9008 times)

Offline audbr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
1911 Census of Canada - Help please
« on: Sunday 23 June 13 10:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,
 Can any body help me please:

I have the following people who arrived in Quebec on 15th May 1910 from Liverpool:
Alice Audley born 1893
Charles Audley born 1899
Doris Audley born 1901
Frances Audley born 1903
Hannah Audley born 1871 ( the mother of the family)
Hannah Audley born 1892
Mabel Audley born 1910
Thomas Audley born 1907.

I believe their father/ husband Thomas Audley was  born in 1869 and emigrated to Canada sometime earlier but do not know when.
My questions are:
Was a census taken in Canada in 1911 and are they in it?
Are there and Canadian Censuses of a later date publically available and are they in any of them?

Many thanks in anticiption of your help
Regards
Brian Audley
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 Census of Canada - Help please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 June 13 10:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Brian,

Yes the 1911 census of Canada was started on the 1 June 1911.  The 1921 census is being indexed at the moment and due for release when completed.
Did not come across the family in 1911 but perhaps they were mistranscribed. ::)

1911 Canadian census available (free) online at www.automatedgenealogy.com ( click link to split view on transcripted page to see actual scanned image with more details).

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 June 13 10:24 BST (UK) »
Can see a FIND A GRAVE entry for Doris Natalie Audley  - Aug. 28, 1918
Mountain View Cemetery and Crematorium  Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
Plot: JONES/*/14/008/0006

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0utf/ 

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FLK8-N5H

Also death records for Thomas Audley and Hannah Hunt - are these the correct parents. ?

Sandra

Added Hmmmm I remember now we covered the family in an earlier thread:-

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=618495.0
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline audbr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 June 13 10:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra,
Many thanks for both your replies. We must have discussed various branches of the Audley Family in Canada in the past. If you want to see what I am up to have a look at my website www.audleyfamilyhistory.com . I have recently been in contact with a living decendent of that family who live in Canada (I live in England) and they believe that the daughter Hannah Audley born 1892 had an illegitimate faughter born 30th December 1910 who was called Alice Emily Audley.

I was hoping if they all could be found on the 1911 census it would tie the whole family together.
Unfortunately I do not know how to access Canadian Census Records.

Do you have any idea when the 1921 census of Canada wil be released

Regards
Brian Audley

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 June 13 10:55 BST (UK) »
Looking at the death certificate for Thomas, it says he had been in Canada 54 years. Died 18 March 1864 so immigration 1910 perhaps.  ??? Perhaps he was mistranscribed as well  ::)

The 1921 is being indexed at the moment, no actually date for release has been given - just expected shortly.  ::)

Hannah Silverwood  (First married to Henry Middleton in 1913) - FIND A GRAVE - 3 Feb 1922

Burial Mountain View Cemetery and Crematorium  Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
Plot: 1919/*/B/042/0016

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0utg/

Baptism (Feb 5 th 1911)  :- Florence E Audley - Anglican Saint Thomas, Montreal, Quebec. - Daughter of Hannah Audley (illegitimate)

There is a birth of a son Albert Edward Thomas Middleton 10 th May 1914

Sandra

Offline audbr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 23 June 13 11:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Sarah,
That death is definately the Father. I suspect that as with a number of families the father emigrated first and when he had a job and somewhere to live the rest of the family followed them. From the age of the youngest daughter he could only have emigrated in 1909 or 1910!!!

I have just looked at the link you gave me to the Canadian Census webpage. Is there anyway one can search on just first names. On some UK websites you can search for families with a Father named Thomas; a mother named Hannah and a child called Mabel aged about 2. As a result it is possible to identify a miss spelt surname.
Regards
Brian Audley

Offline jan57

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 June 13 11:40 BST (UK) »
Quebec, Vital and Church Records (Drouin Collection), 1621-1967
about Audley

Mabels  baptism    in Montreal    The   image shows  she  was born 30  March  1909 , Mabel  Louisa Audley  daughter  of Thomas Audley   bootmaker  and Hannah  Hunt,   baptised  29 May 1910

Can't see  them  on 1911  census for Canada tho  !

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 June 13 12:14 BST (UK) »
Have found them on Ancestry - transcribed as Andley living in Montreal, Maisonneuve, Quebec - Enumeration District 172, Page 16, Family 158 - some of ages a year or so out but definitely them. 

However, the handwriting on original page (written in French) is not good - thought if I could find one of the other families on the page I'd be able to bring up the page on Automated Genealogy.   Alas, can't correctly decipher other surnames on page either as writing atrocious.  I note that by clicking on district of Maisonneuve E. District 172 doesn't show though?? 

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 23 June 13 12:39 BST (UK) »
Phew - the respective transcribers on Ancestry and Automated Genealogy have read names totally differently which in view of handwriting not surprising.

However, after some trial and error have now found them on Automated Genealogy - listed under surname Aisdley(?) (they show ED as 100 which is in fact the Sub District no. not the main ED).  It's just a typed page whereas the original is on Ancestry.  The wife Eva and dau. Emma are actually Anna (i.e. Hannah) on the original page.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk