Author Topic: William Bolam born 1808 in Bowes House  (Read 4565 times)

Offline crtwrs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Bolam born 1808 in Bowes House
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 25 June 13 18:58 BST (UK) »
Hi, You have the same concerns as myself, I have mentioned Luke Bolam and Margaret Jopling as candidates for the parents of my William Bolam born around 1808 in Bowes House on the Lambton Estate as they had a son William born 1808 in Chester le Street that is close to the birth place as my William. As you say the only other candidate is a William born in Gateshead.
My William b 1808 and Jane Thirlaway had 5 Daughters and 2 sons that I know of according to Freereg.
Elizabeth Bolam b 1834 Durham.
Mary  Bolam b 6th Feb 1836 at Pitfield, West Rainton, Chr 9th March 1836 West Rainton Chapelry, Houghton le Spring.
                                                                                                                                               Jane Bolam born about May 1841 at Kelloe, East Hetton, Durham  and Christened 23rd May 1841 at St Helen Church, Kelloe, Durham. Residence Kelloe East Hetton.

Thomas Bolam born about June 1843 at Kelloe, East Hetton, Durham  and Christened 23rd June 1843 at St Helen Church, Kelloe, Durham. Residence Kelloe, East Hetton

William Bolam born about April 1850 at Kelloe, East Hetton, Durham  and Christened 21st April 1850 at St Helen Church, Kelloe, Durham. Residence Kelloe, East Hetton, Durham .

Jane was 5th Daughter and William 2nd Son. have not found the other 2 Daughters names to date..

My dilemma is no Luke or Margaret and no certain connection.

It could be that my William b 1808 had a Private Baptism on Lambton Estate or a Non - conformist baptism in a chapel.

I will keep looking, and many thanks for your interest, Most appreciated.
cartwright,foulkes,pierce,ames,gaines,jones,knowles,wood,davies,roberts,evans. edwards, jennings ,king  Flintshire,Denbighshire,Wales,Cheshire,Lancashire,Yorkshire, Oxfordshire, Suffolk,Dorset England
cartwright,ryan,townsend,williams,heather,bruno,larpenter,lannan,carril.New York,Suffolk County,Long Island,Colorado,USA,Ontario,Toronto,Canada.
Burdon And Bolam,Durham and Northumberland

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 25 June 13 19:21 BST (UK) »
Hi again, have you checked out the other possible siblings of William I highlighted above?

Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline crtwrs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 25 June 13 20:40 BST (UK) »
Hi keyboard86,
No I have not, I am in the process of looking at them. I have ruled out the William born 1808 in Gateshead as he died c 1865. My William is alive and well aged 62 in 1871 wife Jane and son William

birth: 1809 Bowes House, Durham
residence: 1871 East Hetton, Coxhoe, Durham, England
 spouse:Jane Bolam
child:William Bolam

Many Thanks for your interest ,I will look at the siblings as you suggest.
cartwright,foulkes,pierce,ames,gaines,jones,knowles,wood,davies,roberts,evans. edwards, jennings ,king  Flintshire,Denbighshire,Wales,Cheshire,Lancashire,Yorkshire, Oxfordshire, Suffolk,Dorset England
cartwright,ryan,townsend,williams,heather,bruno,larpenter,lannan,carril.New York,Suffolk County,Long Island,Colorado,USA,Ontario,Toronto,Canada.

Offline WolfieSmith

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 29 June 13 16:02 BST (UK) »
Living at Bowses House, Bournmoor in 1841 census :

Thomas Bolam, 73, Storekeeper, Y,
Mary Bolam, 70, Y,
Ralph Bolam, 24, Ag Lab, Y,
Jane Todd, 38, Y,
Thomas Todd, 11, Y,
John Todd, 9, Y,
HO107/312/2/1/6

Same family in 1851 :

Bowes House, Bournmoor,
Mary Bolam, head, wid, 74, b. Old Lambton,
Jane Ford, dau, mar, 47, b. Bowes House,
Ralph Bolam, son, unm, 34, Farm Servant, b. Bowes House,
Thomas Ford, gson, unm, 21, Colliery Labourer, b.Bowes House,
John Ford, gson, mar, 19, Colliery Labourer, b. Bowes House,
Thomas Bolam, gson, 14, Farm Servant, b. Wapping, Durham,
HO107/2394/36/7

And an unmarried Rachel Bolam, 53, b. Bowes House, next door.

Some children of Thomas and Mary :

28 Aug 1808 Penshaw All Saints. William Bolam, born 7 Apr 1808, 3rd son of Thomas Bolam (Corver, Native of Chester Parish) by his wife Mary Kellett (native of Chester Parish)

1798 Rachael Bolam (parents of Bowes House)
1800 Mary Kellett Bolam
1813 Sarah Bolam (parents of Bowes House)
1817 Ralph Bolam (parents of Bows House)

A marriage at Chester le Street, 28 Sep 1793, Thomas Bolam and Mary Kellott.

Alan.

Northumberland - Smith, Willis,
Durham - Rogerson, Child
Cumberland - Irving, Hill
North Yorkshire - Layfield,
Ireland - Collins

Offline crtwrs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 29 June 13 19:46 BST (UK) »
Many Thanks Wolfie Smith.
These are the parents of my William b 1808 in Bowes House, Lambton. I,ve been researching the Bolam families in this area of Durham and have not come across them to date. There are so many Bolam families and many with Christian names with Thomas and William and also the name variants being Mis-transcribed in the different censuses has taken  some time to sort out.
I really appreciate your time and effort in finding my Bolam family.
Many Thanks again.

Offline MicktheMann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 26 February 17 15:23 GMT (UK) »
My gggrandfather Andrew Mann worked in Bowes House as a blacksmith/veterinary surgeon, and wondered if there was any info on him available

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 26 February 17 15:56 GMT (UK) »
My gggrandfather Andrew Mann worked in Bowes House as a blacksmith/veterinary surgeon, and wondered if there was any info on him available

Hi and welcome to Rootschat, it may be best if you start a new thread if you require further assistance on Andrew Mann, can you supply just exactly your knowledge of him?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline crtwrs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 26 February 17 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi MicktheMann
I have just gone through my records on the Bolam family while at Bowes House. No Mann in any  of my records, however Bowes House was a large estate that had many cottages and houses were the employees that worked for the estate resided.
Regards

Offline MicktheMann

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 27 February 17 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks William, was worth a try
Regards
Mick