Author Topic: Jute Mills & Iron Works Dundee  (Read 21862 times)

Offline Rowana

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jute Mills & Iron Works Dundee
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 01 February 15 19:16 GMT (UK) »
Just to add my wee bit to the Lawside works story. 

If you look at the 1941 map, you will see to the left of Lawside works that there is a Rockwell works. This was owned by the Boase Spinning Company, and I served my apprenticeship as an electrician there from 1964 to 1968.
Lawside works was part of the South Mills group, which also included Boase Spinning Company, and as part of my apprenticeship, I spent some time in Lawside works as well!

The Last time I was in Dundee was a few years ago, and Rockwell works was completely demolished and housing built in it's place. Lawside works seemed to still be in use at that time, but I can't say what's there now.

The other 2 mills which were in the South Mills group were Garden works in Benvie road, which is also now housing, and South Mills itself, which is still standing, but has been converted to flats.

I left Dundee in 1969 to join the Merchant Navy, and I haven't worked in that city since.

Hope this is of some interest to you guys.

Jim
Irvine Gove Watt Stronner

Offline Rowana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 02 February 15 09:17 GMT (UK) »
Update-

Had a look on Google maps streetview, and it seems lawside works has been partially demolished and housing built in it's place. The remaining part is also now converted to flats.

I hardly recognised the place!
Irvine Gove Watt Stronner

Offline British Kiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 02 February 15 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jim, that is great extra information.  I'm working on a project at the moment but I want to examine my Ferriers afterwards and especially those old maps.
Phillips: Gloucestershire, Kent, Isle of Wight, Co Durham
Marsh (me): Dorset, Middlesex
Marsh (husband): Lancashire
Stephens: Devon, Cornwall
Gravill: Lincolnshire, East Riding (Hull), Dundee, NZ
Leighton: Forfarshire (mainly Dundee), Crete, NZ
Ferrier: Dundee

Offline 0113vanny

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 22:37 BST (UK) »
hello.  I am researching the jute mills of Dundee, particularly those belonging to Chalmers and Hackney, North Tay Street.  the big Tay St Mills were owned in the late 1840's I believe by the Gilroys, I think this was the mill owned originally by Boyack.   can anyone tell me where were the Chalmers Hackney mills in relation to this enormous mill?     

(William Hackney and Charles Chalmers were the early mill owners and I would also love more information as to how they started this mill. )

thank you.