Author Topic: 1840 Stamford Death Lookups - Please  (Read 9006 times)

Offline Drop Bear

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1840 Stamford Death Lookups - Please
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 21 July 13 08:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Kathy :) - the burials of most (if not all) of the RICHARDS kids can be found on FreeREG - the ones in 1840 certainly show up. :)  I only looked in 1840 which seems to show they were buried Stamford (All Saints).

Geoff-E, I appreciate your input but it is Hannah & Harriet that appear to be elusive, which is what Kathy is kindly freely giving her time and research for. Hannah cannot be found on the FreeREG burials and Harriet cannot be found on the FreeREG baptisms. (Feel free to prove me wrong). It would appear there is definitely a Hannah, as there is a baptism for 1833 but we are yet to find a death for that Hannah. As previously posted there is a Hannah on the 1841 census aged 2 which would have her born 1839. Thoughts that this may have actually have been Harriet can be disproved as we have confirmed a burial for Harriet in 1840. So we are also trying to find out what happened to the 2nd Hannah aged two as she did not go to Australia in 1849 with the rest of the family.

Kathy has helped me by confirming the two Stamford Mercury news articles I had been told of PLUS she found Sarah Ann's which I was not aware of and I am grateful for.

You say it seems to show they are buried in Stamford All Saints, could you clarify that for me then. I live in Australia and "in the Parish of All Saints, Stamford, Lincolnshire" means a suburb or place. Do you mean there is a churchyard or cemetery. Perhaps I was not clear with "where are they buried", I mean physically where are they buried. ???
Baxter: Lanarkshire, Slamannan
Jordan: Lanarkshire, Staffordshire
McFarlane: Lanarkshire
Mitchell: Ireland to Scotland, Canada & New Zealand
Farrell: Lanarkshire, Ireland, New York
Fagan: Lanarkshire, Ireland
Hogg: Lanarkshire, Ireland

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 21 July 13 09:21 BST (UK) »
You say it seems to show they are buried in Stamford All Saints, could you clarify that for me then. I live in Australia and "in the Parish of All Saints, Stamford, Lincolnshire" means a suburb or place. Do you mean there is a churchyard or cemetery. Perhaps I was not clear with "where are they buried", I mean physically where are they buried. ???

There was certainly a burial ground around All Saints church as the photo shows. http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LIN/Stamford/stamford_churchhist.html

The 1886 1:500 map shows that All Saints was not endowed with a huge church yard and I suppose it's possible that there was an "overspill" yard somewhere http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html?coords=502838,307153

It was the mid 1850s before municipal cemeteries (often out of town) were opened.

There is a map of All Saints parish here http://www.stamfordallsaints.org.uk/

:)
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline pamthomas

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 21 July 13 10:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Kathy :) - the burials of most (if not all) of the RICHARDS kids can be found on FreeREG - the ones in 1840 certainly show up. :)  I only looked in 1840 which seems to show they were buried Stamford (All Saints).

Geoff-E, I appreciate your input but it is Hannah & Harriet that appear to be elusive, which is what Kathy is kindly freely giving her time and research for. Hannah cannot be found on the FreeREG burials and Harriet cannot be found on the FreeREG baptisms. (Feel free to prove me wrong). It would appear there is definitely a Hannah, as there is a baptism for 1833 but we are yet to find a death for that Hannah. As previously posted there is a Hannah on the 1841 census aged 2 which would have her born 1839. Thoughts that this may have actually have been Harriet can be disproved as we have confirmed a burial for Harriet in 1840. So we are also trying to find out what happened to the 2nd Hannah aged two as she did not go to Australia in 1849 with the rest of the family.

Kathy has helped me by confirming the two Stamford Mercury news articles I had been told of PLUS she found Sarah Ann's which I was not aware of and I am grateful for.
From my post #8 in this thread
Incidentally, I think that the Harriet who died aged 6 in 1840 is the Hannah who was baptised in October 1833. If she was baptised shortly after birth then the age would be correct as she wouldn't be 7 until August/September.
Hannah's baptism in 1833 is image 286 on FindMyPast.
Hannah's baptism in the register for the parish church of All Saints in the town of Stamford.
http://www.lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=551297&iid=291962
It wouldn't be the first time a name has been entered incorrectly into a register.

Usually, in ye olde days, a burial entry in the church register meant that someone was buried in the churchyard attached to the church. Sometimes, as Geoff has said, and especially by the early 1800s in the larger parishes (and All Saints is now the largest parish in Stamford and also one of the oldest), burials could have taken place in an 'overspill' burial ground. Perhaps the local vicar could confirm this?
http://www.lincoln.anglican.org/search_parishes.php?13209000

The five parishes of Stamford which are in Lincolnshire are All Saints, St George. St John the Baptist, St Mary, and St Michael. On FreeREG, All Saints and St Michael are fully transcribed for the years you want. Baptisms for St George 1832 onwards can be found 
http://www.lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=718398&iid=289910
Baptisms St John the Baptist
http://www.lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=584973&iid=568020

Burials for St John 1830+ start
http://www.lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=584452&iid=288814

Neither baptisms nor burials for St Mary 1812+ are available on Lincs to the Past or FreeREG.

Transcriptions of the burial registers by Lincolnshire Family History Society indicate no Richards (or Rickards) burials for young children in any Stamford parish 1840 +/- 10 years apart from the four already found in 1840.

The town of Stamford itself borders Northamptonshire, but there is also Stamford Baron which is in Northamptonshire. Records for which are on FreeREG.

It should be noted that the death/burials notices Kathy found are in the newspaper are not the type of 'family announcements' made nowadays.

Offline Drop Bear

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 22 July 13 00:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you Geoff-E and pamthomas. I am looking at the links you have given me and will post a response shortly.

pamthomas, I do understand what you are saying about Hannah being Harriet and visa versa.  ;D I really do. What makes me question this though is the mothers death certificate;
4 deceased females - we have 100% confirmed Sarah Ann and Charity
1 deceased male - we have 100% confirmed Charles

Who then are the other 2 females? As mentioned before I can 100% confirm and account for all of the other children.

Also, the question still remains as to the Hannah on the 1841 census aged 2. Where did she come from and where did she go.

I do hope you don't get cranky with me as I understand what you have said and under ordinary circumstances I would definately agree with that theory but the death certificate and census tell me another story  :o

Offline Drop Bear

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 25 July 13 08:41 BST (UK) »
UPDATE

As suggested by pamthomas, I have emailed All Saints and received this reply from the Churchwarden;

"The All Saints churchyard is not in current use. A number of gravestones are still there and when time permits I will look for you and let you know my findings."

so I will advise when I get another reply. Thank you pamthomas.

I have received the death certificate for Harriet, 22 July 1840, so I am beginning to come around to the 1833 baptism of Hannah being Harriet  ::)
(I can hear you saying "I told you so") BUT
I have also received the death certificate of the children's father and it also claims 4 deceased females and 1 deceased male.

So I will leave the Harriet/Hannah one alone for now and see if anyone can nut out the mystery of the Hannah aged 2 on the 1841 census. Any suggestions would be appreciated  ??? ???

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 25 July 13 09:30 BST (UK) »
... it also claims 4 deceased females and 1 deceased male.

I suppose there is always the possibility that children were stillborn and were not baptised. :(

Offline Drop Bear

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 25 July 13 09:42 BST (UK) »
Good thought Geoff-E but who is the 2 year old child listed on the census that I cannot account for?

I now believe this is the current theory.

Four deceased females;
1. Harriet
2. Charity
3. Sarah Ann
4. ??

1 deceased male;
1. Charles

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 25 July 13 10:49 BST (UK) »
... who is the 2 year old child listed on the census that I cannot account for?

This one?

Births Dec 1839 
RICHARDS    Hannah         Stamford    14   569

Could have died in transit to Oz I suppose.  :-\

Offline Drop Bear

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 25 July 13 11:03 BST (UK) »
BINGO, you found her. You are a legend Geoff-E. She was not listed with the rest of the family going to Australia which leads me to believe she died before 1849.

Where did you find that?

You are too good, thank you for not giving up on me  ;D ;D