Author Topic: Ewan or Ewing family - New Scone  (Read 4121 times)

Offline Garen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Ewan or Ewing family - New Scone
« on: Thursday 11 July 13 17:09 BST (UK) »
My 5g-grandfather was James EWING or EWAN. I'd love to have a breakthrough (he's been a 12-year brick wall) and try and find his parents and where he came from.

At some point, probably between 1809 and 1824, he moved to Dysart in Fife, and my further Ewing ancestors are mostly from that area. James is on the 1841 census with his wife Helen CLARK (another brick wall) and daughter Jean at Gallatown, Dysart.

James and Helen married at Scone, Perthshire, on 7 July 1793 (IGI, OPR). The 1841 census puts both their ages at 75 - probably meaning their birth dates are somewhere within 5 years of 1765, and also reveals neither were born in Fife. James was a tenant/farmer at Limepotts, New Scone, before they moved to Fife (as noted on children's birth OPRs).

These are the children I know of, and the little I know about them (most are recorded under the name of EWAN):

Margaret: b. 28 Mar 1795 Scone (IGI, OPR).
A Margaret Ewing b. Scone c.1795 is on the 1851 census married to a Peter Henderson (children: James and Peter, plus two more from IGI: Helen and Margaret). I can't find their marriage, but I strongly suspect this is James Ewing's daughter - the birth details match, plus her younger brother, James, named one of his sons Peter Henderson Ewing (b.1846).

Elizabeth: b. 1797 Perthshire (IGI)
There is an OPR for an Elisbeth EWENS who died in Dysart in Jul 1852, the wife of sailor John WATSON. Looking further into this it seems this may actually be Isobella Ewans, who married seaman John Watson (aka John Sutherland) in 1814. If so, Elizabeth remains elusive.

Jean: b. 1799 Scone (OPR, 1841 census)
Resides at Dysart with parents on the 1841 census, age '35'.

John: 1801 Scone (IGI, OPR)

James - this is my 4g-grandfather so I have a lot of info here.
b. 1803, Limepits (aka Limepotts), New Scone, Perthshire. Married Margaret TODD at Dysart in 1824. Died after falling over the cliffs at Burntisland in 1883. Eleven children between 1824 and 1846. Worked as a weaver and later a grocer.

Robert: b. 1805 Scone (IGI, OPR)

Helen: b. 1809 Perthshire (IGI)

There is also a possible sister for James Ewing - an Elisabeth EWAN married a Gilbert WATSON at Scone on 19 Aug 1793, a month after James and Helen's marriage. James/Helen and Elisabeth/Gilbert both appear on the same page of an OPR (scotlandspeople). This couple, Gilbert and Elisabeth, appear on the 1841 census at Kilspindie, Perthshire, with three children: Catherine, Elizabeth and Andrew.

I do not know when James Ewan/Ewing died - from the Dysart OPRs I have a James Ewans buried 1 Dec 1844, weaver in Dysart, and a James Ewing was interred 25 Jun 1849 in Pattatown (Dysart).

His wife Helen Clark died 3 Feb 1843 at Dysart. (Note: one of her grandchildren, from son James, was called Thomas Clark Ewing - was he named after a relative of Helen's? IGI shows a Thomas CLARK marrying a Margaret WILSON at Scone in Jan 1800).

To summarise the info about James EWAN or EWING:
born abt 1765+/- not in Fife; married Helen CLARK at Scone, Perthshire, 1793; tenant at Limepotts, New Scone 1790s-1800s; children born at Scone, Perthshire (1795-1809); moved family to Dysart in Fife (1809-1824?); wife Helen d.1843 Dysart; James probably died 1840s at Dysart.

Sorry for the long post, but i wanted to make sure I put down everything I knew. If anyone out there has any clues or ideas I'd love to hear from you!

Many thanks - Garen.
Second Anglo-Afghan War 1878-80 - http://www.angloafghanwar.info
Family research - http://www.garenewing.co.uk/family/

Offline JMStrachan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ewan or Ewing family - New Scone
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 July 13 18:15 BST (UK) »
Interestingly, the children of James Ewen and Helen Clark/Clerk seem to have had their baptism entered twice: once at the Associate Congregation Perth and then again at Scone.

FamilySearch Scotland OPRs has a James Ewan born 1770 and baptised Associate Congregation Perth, son of James Ewen. There is also Peter born 1763 baptised same kirk to James Ewan and Margrat Runciman. Might be worth following that line up to see where it leads.

Researching Scottish ancestors back into the 1700s is very frustrating, as so many seem to have managed not to get into the OPRs.
AYRSHIRE - Strachan, McCrae, Haddow, Haggerty, Neilson, Alexander
ABERDEENSHIRE (Cruden and Longside) - Fraser, Hay, Logan, Hutcheon or Hutchison, Sangster
YORKSHIRE (Worsbrough) - Green, Oxley, Firth, Cox, Rock
YORKSHIRE (Royston and Carlton) - Senior, Simpson, Roydhouse, Hattersley

Offline Garen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Ewan or Ewing family - New Scone
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 July 13 00:26 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for that. I hadn't seen those names - James Ewan and Margaret Runciman - so I've noted them and will see if they lead anywhere. Much appreciated.

Of course I've no idea if my James was born in Perth ... I've a feeling I'll never get a definitive answer on this one. Still, possibilities are good! :-)
Second Anglo-Afghan War 1878-80 - http://www.angloafghanwar.info
Family research - http://www.garenewing.co.uk/family/