Author Topic: Archibald MacNeil of Colonsay m. Lady Georgina Anna Forbes  (Read 4142 times)

Offline Haninger7

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Archibald MacNeil of Colonsay m. Lady Georgina Anna Forbes
« on: Saturday 13 July 13 04:03 BST (UK) »
Does anybody here have sources on the 5th Laird of Colonsay, who was obliged to sell his estates to his cousin and allegedly had dealings with the Governor of South Carolina?

Many later sources insist that he and Anne Georgiana Forbes, daughter of the Earl of Granard, had no children, but I've found this is simply not true. They had, at least, a daughter (Georgina Anna MacNeil) christened in Leghorn on November 11, 1800. I have also seen an 1831 marriage announcement for Elizabeth Alison and Captain Archibald Macneil, formerly of the 91st Regiment, who is called the son of the late Colonel Archibald MacNeil of Colonsay. I have determined from the census records that this younger Archibald was born around 1786, and if that is true, he was probably not Georgina's son. Perhaps a natural son of the Laird?

And what of his dealings with South Carolina?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Archibald MacNeil of Colonsay m. Lady Georgina Anna Forbes
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 July 13 08:36 BST (UK) »
This link suggests that they had a son called George in 1798

http://archive.stjohns-edinburgh.org.uk/MacNeillArchibald.html
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Haninger7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 August 13 06:06 BST (UK) »
Recollections of the Irish Church: 2nd series, p. 57, mentions Rev. Anthony Hastings marrying the widow of Col. Macneil of Colonsay, and then mentions her son, Rev. George Macneil.

Offline Haninger7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 04 August 13 06:31 BST (UK) »
 July 10 1841 

On the 29th ult., in Kilmacrenan Church, by the Rev. Robert Alexander, DOCTOR MOLLOY, son of the REV FRANCIS MOLLOY, to AUGUSTIN DOROTHEA MACNEILL, only daughter of the late COLONEL MACNEILL, of Collonsay, and LADY ANNE HASTINGS

Offline suz39

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 May 17 19:04 BST (UK) »
He was my great great great grandfather and he had two children with Lady Anne. One was my great great grandmother, Augusta Dorothea McNeill, who married Dr William Hanna Molloy. I have a letter written by her to Lady Anne in June 1821 and the last letter ever written by her to her son Hastings Francis James Molloy in April 1861.
My father Patrick Hastings Molloy, grandson of H F J Molloy died 2 weeks ago.

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 May 17 10:47 BST (UK) »
so you must be somehow related to my O'may family as the o'mays and malloys inter- married along with the campbells. the Kelly's were a thorn in the side of both the cambells and the MacDonald's being the source of many of he battles of both families, they would get up to mischief and somehow it always was laid upon one or other of those two clans when it was the Kelly's that really started it by rustling the others or associated clans beasts.
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet