Author Topic: Isaac Smith, Sarah Temple, John and Anne Temple 1780's?  (Read 12746 times)

Offline Orpheus

• RootsChat Senior
  • Quartermain arms
    • View Profile
Re: Isaac Smith, Sarah Temple, John and Anne Temple 1780's?
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 11 September 13 19:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrew

I didn't make much progress when in Oxford but here is my take on the TEMPLE family:

(X) indicates that the individual made his or her mark

Marriage at Langford:

20 Aug 1786   John (X) TEMPLE
                     Ann (X) ILOTT
                     Witnessed by Thomas MAY and Wm PRICE

Baptisms at Broadwell:

13 May 1787  Sarah d Jno & Anne TEMPLE
11 Oct 1789   John s John & Jane TEMPLE
27 Oct 1791   Eleanor d William & Anne TEMPLE of Filkins
4 May 1794   George s John & Mary TEMPLE of Filkins
15 May 1796  Marianna d John & Anna TEMPLE of Filkins

The above are the only TEMPLE baptisms at Broadwell.  Also, the OFHS Database has no marriage for a William TEMPLE to Ann, or a John TEMPLE to Jane at the right time so it seems probable that all the above children belong to John and Ann(e)

At some point the family moved to Alvescot where both John and Ann are buried:

23 Feb 1819   Ann TEMPLE aged 65   (therefore born abt 1754)
24 Jan 1839   John TEMPLE aged 86  (therefore born abt 1753)

As for the children we know that Sarah married Isaac SMITH at St Peter le Bailey on 27 Apr 1812.  Both signed their names and were described as 'of this parish'.  The marriage took place after Banns and was witnessed by Nathanial Day HANKS and Hannah (X) BOUCHER.

John TEMPLE (bap 1789) married Elizabeth MILLS at Langford on 23 Jul 1809.  There were no children of this marriage and Elizabeth was buried at Langford on 1 Sep 1811.  On 29 Jul 1813 John married Jane PENN of Hanney, Berks at Alvescot.  Both bride and groom made their mark and the marriage was witnessed by H. WILKENS and Leah MORRIS.  John was buried at Langford on 16 Jun 1871 aged 85, and Jane was buried at Langford on 23 Nov 1875 aged 85.

Eleanor TEMPLE married William CLARIAGE of Black Bourton on 5 Dec 1809 at Alvescot.  Both signed their names and the marriage was witnessed by Rachel ELDRIDGE and Richard BUSBY.

George TEMPLE married Martha PEACHEY at Alvescot on 20 Oct 1814.  Both bride and groom made their mark and the marriage was witnessed by Mary TICHENOR and Richard BUSBY.

Marianna (or Mary Anne) married William WICKENS at Alvescot on 24 Dec 1814.  The groom signed his name but the bride marked to the name 'Mary'.  The marriage was witnessed by Susanna COPPIN and Richard BUSBY.  Richard BUSBY witnessed quite a few marriages so it is likely that he was a parish official.

So you have an approximate birth date of 1753 for John TEMPLE but I found no suitable entry in the OXFHS Database.  As for Ann ILOTT the only suitable entry I found was Anne d of Michael and Anne ILATE at Broadwell in 1758.  Who knows?

I also drew a blank with Isaac SMITH as I found no suitable entry for him in the Database.  However, as he states in the 1841 census that he was not born in Oxfordshire that is perhaps not surprising.

Quartermain and variants - Oxfordshire
Wiggins - Oxfordshire
Lowe - Charney Bassett, Berkshire
Bettle - Bedfordshire and Northamptonshire
Marshall - Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire
Goodman - Buckinghamshire

Offline andrewp91

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 09 August 14 14:33 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for that information, Its is a huge help! I will take not of all that that you have mentioned,

I have started to do a family bible and have recently came onto Isaac Smith who was born abt 1816 and died 1867. I have his death ceritificate which states that he died from Hemmorage of the lungs Certified. I was trying to find out what might have caused the hemmoraghe as he was only 48 years old. I have found a newspaper article on the british newspaper archives that gives a little clue but I am not able to read as I would need a subscription, I was wondering if someone else might be able to help me get a copy of the newspaper who has a subscription or if anyone is able to find anything else to indicate what he died of please.

I searched "Isaac Smith" and filtered 1867 November. I then found out that  on Saturday 23 November 1867 , in the Oxford Times ,  Oxfordshire, England it gives an article that gives a brief description of "aged 48. Smith. —Nov. 15, at Newport Pagnell, Bucks, after a short illness, Mr..."

may someone be able to help me identify why he died at a young age of bleeding to the lungs please?

Kindest regards
Andrew

Offline Orpheus

• RootsChat Senior
  • Quartermain arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 09 August 14 16:16 BST (UK) »
Hello Andrew

The item you found in the British Newspaper Archive was not really an 'article' but an entry in the 'Family Announcements' or 'Births, Marriages and Deaths' column.  It appears in an issue of the Oxford Times dated Saturday 23rd November 1867 and reads:

SMITH - Nov 15 at Newport Pagnell, Bucks, after a short illness, Mr Isaac SMITH, son of Mrs Sarah SMITH, of Worcester Place, Oxford, aged 49; much respected and deeply lamented

I don't know what would cause bleeding of the lungs but my guess would be tuberculosis (TB), or, as it was often called at that time, consumption.  This was an extremely common cause of death and affected all age groups.

Wiggins - Oxfordshire

Offline andrewp91

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 10 August 14 12:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you again for your help. It their anyway that I might be able to prove this, I too strongly believe that this is the cause for his death after it does mention a short illness. Thank you very much for getting me that newspaper clipping relating to him it is very appreciated.

Kindest Regards
Andrew

Offline Orpheus

• RootsChat Senior
  • Quartermain arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 10 August 14 12:38 BST (UK) »
Hello Andrew

I don't think there is any way that you could prove the cause of death to be TB.  I'm afraid you'll just have to accept what is recorded on the death certificate.
Wiggins - Oxfordshire