Author Topic: Early Gypsy ! Surnames from 1526  (Read 18185 times)

Offline Romany Knaves

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Early Gypsy ! Surnames from 1526
« on: Sunday 14 July 13 15:00 BST (UK) »
Extracted as found "may include counterfeit Egyptians"

1526-mary gipcy [from garland of laurel]
1528 giles hatcher [king] kit calot [queen] south of England
1545 phillipe lazer [embarkation London]
1549 George,Amy and Baptist Fawe and John Roland [Durham]
1559 james and george kyncowe,andrew cristo,thomas gabriells,richarde concow-
        eubert johanny,john lallowe and christopher lawerance [Gloucestershire]
1569 roger lane,robert and alice bayley,elizabeth jurdayne,tom tomkyns,valentyne-
        tyndale,anne duckdale,jone hodgekyne,edward ffyllocks and elizabeth lee all
        [Northamptonshire]
1577 roland Gabriel and cathrine deago [Aylesbury]
1581 Margaret bannister daughter of William [Leicestershire]
1591 Robert Hilton [Norfolk]
1598 Charles,Oliver and Bartholomew Baptist [Devonshire]
1631 Margaret Finch [kent]
1649 elizabeth grey,richard and Barbara smith,francis and elizabeth parker [Yorkshire]

ESSEX, KENT, LONDON, SUFFOLK, SUSSEX.
Bachelor, Baker, Beeny, Boswell, Brazil, Burgess, Carter, Clements, Cooper, Cornelius, Collins, Day, Dobson, Eastwood, Ellis, Farr, Fairbeard, Harris, Holland/s, Jenkins, Jones, Kennett, K/nave/s, Lyon, Lee, Penfold, Ransley, Robert/s, Reeve/s, Smith, Stone, Thompsett, Tomsit, Wood/s.

Offline selinat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Early Gypsy ! Surnames from 1526
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 February 14 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Francis and Elizabeth Parker ( Yorkshire  ) 1649, anymore information about this couple would be helpful .. Thank you.

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 February 14 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Details of The Case:

RICHARD SMITH, AND OTHERS FOR BEING GIPSIES: March 8, 1649-50. Before Luke Robinson Esq. William Allan, of Bransby, constable, saith that divers people in the habits of Jipsey came to Butterwicke the day before they were apprehended at Normanby, the same who are now in the Castle of York. Divers of them did tell fortunes to children and to others, and askt them money. They did some time speak in languages none who were by could understand.

Jane, wife to Thomas Savadge, of Bransby, say that she went to William Kattill's house, where these people were , about six of them, and one of them a woman did wag her hand of her, and did draw her to a side, and told her she would help her to 60 pounds, three silver spoons and two gold rings, if she might have half, and one shilling, four pence, one linen shirt and one linen pillow bear.

Richard Smith, and Barbary who pretends to be his wife, Francis Parker, Elizabeth Grey, and Elizabeth Parker.

Richard Smith does confess that he and the rest of his company were apprehended in London as suspicious persons, for highway robbers, and were committed to Newgate and the House of Correction, and were in question at the sessions there, but were, as he pretends, ordered to be sent to their several dwellings or counties, conducted by one Grey, who was not with them when they were apprehended. He confesses that they have been in several parts of this country, that they were travelling into Northumberland, that they have been in Herefordshire, Stafford, Salop, Cheshire and Lancashire, and they they came last from the East Riding about Helse. He denies that any of them did profess to tell fortunes. They did likewise produce this pass, concerning which I have received since a letter from Alderman Penington, affirming it to be forged. And likewise we did think these persons were burned in the hand at their sessions.

Bellenger, Sebire, Soubien, Mallandain, Molle, Baudoin - Normandy/London
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London
Mourgue, Chambon, Chabot - Languedoc/London

Holohan, Donnelly, McGowan/McGoan - Leitrim, Ireland/Dundee, Scotland/London.

Gordon, Troup, Grant, Watt, McInnes - Aberdeenshire, Scotland/London

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 February 14 21:18 GMT (UK) »
They were held without trial for several months and sent the following Petition:

'To the right worshipfull Mr.Robinson, Esq, Justice of Peace in the North Riding.

The humble petition of divers distressed wandering persons, calling themselves by the name of Jepsese. Humbly shewith that whereas your worship hath commited us most justly and according to our deserts, to the castle of York, where we are, and our poor infants almost famished from want of livehood. And, Much the rather, be reason the men that by your worships command brought us hither, did contrary to the law of this kingdom, bereft us, and took from us our mare, and many things of great note and value. And, without any need or just cause, getting at many towns both meat and money for their and our use, of which you poor petitioners got small relief.

In tender consideration whereof , and so that your petitioners are most sorry for their former lewd course of life, and promisseth, by the help of Almighty God, will endeavor ourselves to direct our lives hereafter, observant to the will of God, and laws of this land, it therefore, would please your worships to commiserate our distressedness and in your grave wisdom to cause the constable and others to restore our goods so unjustly taken from us.

And that it would please your worship to call us to the sessions to receive such punishment as the worshipfull bench shall think fit, and we shall be bound to pay'

At their eventual assize appearance all were sentenced to death. The women pleaded pregnancy, but it was only allowed for Barbary Smith, the others were probably executed.

Are you researching Parkers Selina? I have a family connection through Job and Lemintaney Parker (nee Buckland?), who are on the 1911 census in tents in Surrey and both died there in the 1920's. I have traced Job back to his grandfather Mark Parker born around 1780.
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London

Offline peggysmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 February 14 17:24 GMT (UK) »
very intresting especially the parkers. as my own people where parkers and loveridges.
waters/walters-berkshire
tanner and adby- berkshire
loveridge and parker romanies from suffolk,essex,beds,bucks and herts
gill- derbyshire
turvills-hinks,leicestershire
calladine and Bostock,pot hawkers-Derbyshire

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 February 14 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello Peggysmum

Job and Lementaney are on the 1901 census at Headley Road, Epsom down as 'Joseph' and 'Lemington':

Joseph Parker, head, m, 52, Travelling Gipsy, Norfolk
Lemington Parker, wife, m, 42, Travelling Gipsy, Birth Place Unknown
Unity Parker, son, 17, Travelling Gipsy, Birth Place Unknown
Dalia Parker, dau, 16, Travelling Gipsy, Birth Place Unknown 
Annetta Parker, dau, 13, Travelling Gipsy, Birth Place Unknown 
Diana Parker, dau, 8, Travelling Gipsy, Birth Place Unknown
Lionel Parker, son, 5, Travelling Gipsy, Birth Place Unknown

Diana went on to marry one of the Taylors, but was widowed young, and at age 28 remarried to Adolphus Loveridge, the son of Dangerfield Loveridge on August 29th 1921 at Esher, Surrey.

Don't know if that links them to your Parker/Loveridges at all?

My family link is through Job (Joseph) and Lementaney's elder daughter Matilda 'Tilly' Parker. She was 26 in 1901 and living with her partner Job Ayres  in a caravan at Farningham, Kent so does not appear with her parents. Next to her was her elder brother Job Parker with his family, Venus Smith and his family, and the families of Albert Carey and John Carey. Her eight year old son Job Ayres is the great-great grandfather of my niece.

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 February 14 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Just to add to the above I think the line I'm researching might actually be Parker/Loveridge too.

I traced Adolphus Loveridge on the census, in 1911 he is aged 10 down as 'Dolphus' with his parents Dangerfield and Caroline Loveridge in a caravan at Mangotsfield, Somerset, Also with him is sisters Georgiana, 17, Frida, 13, Caroline 5 months, and brothers Robert,4, and Levi, 2.

I have found the baptism of 'Frida' as Freedom Loveridge at Horsell, Surrey:

May 14th 1899 Leonard, son of Job and Clementina Loveridge, of Horsell, Licensed Hawkers (Born 10th August 1898)
May 14th 1899 Freedom, daughter of Dangerfield and Caroline Loveridge, of Horsell, Licensed Hawkers (Born 21st December 1898)

Since Job and Lementany Parker have a young son called Leonard Parker with them on the 1901 census and their daughter Diana later married the son of Dangerfield and Caroline,  I think this is possibly them using the surname Loveridge, and Lementenay was maybe a Loveridge by birth rather than a Buckland, (which was my initial thought on very shaky guess work).

What also makes me think this is Freedom Loveridge later went on to marry Albert Carey, son of Elias Carey, in 1926 at the same church in Esher where her brother Adolphus Loveridge married Diana Parker. As shown in my last post two of Job and Lementaney's grown up children are living on a site in Kent with Albert Carey in 1901.

Offline peggysmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 February 14 09:01 GMT (UK) »
hello richarde. I have heard some of those names but as far as I know they aren't related to my people. maybe further back though. I did find your matilda intresting as we do have a matilda loveridge in our lot.
as far as I have got with my people are William ellice parker and his wife emma, there daughter comfort parker bn 1848 in bucks is my 3 x gg, her partner was Alfred loveridge bn c 1850 im nt yet sure who his parents are although I think he may be the son f montague grey and Elizabeth loveridge. comfort and alf had about 14 kids. there 2nd son was Israel loveridge parker (loveridge was used as a middle name on his birth cert,but he later just used loveridge, half of the kids used loveridge the rest parker but all were registered as parker). Israel was my 2xgg his partner was also a parker. her name was eliza parker bn cranfield 1872 her mum was Margaret "peg leg" parker (she has a wooden leg) and I am told luke parker. peg leg and luke had Solomon, leonard,eliza, lena and vie.
leonard married the youngest daughter of nelson and Naomi draper/parker, her name was lemontina. soloman married florabella loveridge who was the daughter of henry loveridge and sarah smith. she also just happened to be the sister of my great granddad steve who was partner to lovey , eldest daughter of Israel and eliza. (head spinning yet  ;D, mind does a lot) my great gran. I was quite fortunate to find some of my romany relations who filled in a lot of blanks. still haven't got passed 1848 though.
thanks tracey

waters/walters-berkshire
tanner and adby- berkshire
loveridge and parker romanies from suffolk,essex,beds,bucks and herts
gill- derbyshire
turvills-hinks,leicestershire
calladine and Bostock,pot hawkers-Derbyshire

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 February 14 10:20 GMT (UK) »
The funny thing is there is no trace whatsoever of Dangerfield Loveridge before 1899. He is in newspapers charged with letting his horses stray in Wotton, Gloucestershire, earlier the same year as Freedom's baptism, but before that nothing. The 1911 census gives his birth year around 1859/60 in Cricklade, Wiltshire. He apparently died in the same place Cricklade two years later, on the death cert his birth year calculates around 1866/7. There were Romany Loveridges in Cricklade, but no sign of Dangerfield on any of the census,  BMD etc. Either Dangerfield was an assumed name or he was very good at avoiding official documents until later life.

Luke Parker I have heard of and sure he does link up someway to Joseph/Job's father Mark.