Author Topic: 1938 Diary of John H D Bate b1922 Croydon m1956 Camberwell d1968 Leigh  (Read 5869 times)

Offline Paul Caswell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me in my natural state
    • View Profile
I picked up a one of those tiny (about 4" high) diaries for 1938 for the name John H D Bate.

There were a number of other documents that looked like they were his but it was one of those "Three books for £1" stalls and OH found 2 and couldn't find a third. If someone is interested I could go back next week to see if there are more.

My research suggests:

John H D Bate
b. 1922 (Q1) in Croydon MMN Jenkins (Croydon/2a/617)
m. 1956 (Q4) a Hamer (Camberwell/5c/268)
d. 1968 (Q4) aged 43 in Leigh (Leigh/10D/20)

There are some children listed - a couple from Bury are almost certainly not his because there is an Alan E Bate marrying a Hamer in Bury at the appropriate time.

There is one birth record in Farnworth which could be a son but please do not post the details here as this person may still be alive.

I'm really posting this so that if anyone comes looking for details about him they may like to have the diary. Most of the entries are trivial and mundane. Some are rather entertaining but overall it is a year in the life of a 16 year old schoolboy.

Some little samples:

Jan 23 - Go to Crusaders. Uncle Charles came to talk about me.

13 Feb - My Birthday. Go to Crusaders. 2nd Studland cup Clapham spoke. It snowed hard.
17 Feb - Go back to school. Stay at home in afternoon ??? music ??? mummie & ?? went to "Faust". Snowed.

Week of 6th Jun - 12 - Mems:- In charge of house for week.

9 Mar - Kit breaks a window.
12 Mar - Mend window with Clavell.

Mar 29 - In the afternoon just do nothing but read and sit in the garden.

Apr 9 - Take the dog for a long walk.

Apr 29 - Came home, quite a lot of people sick.
Apr 30 - Go back to school. Have a General Knowledge paper. Go to the pictures. Heidi & Return of Scarlet Pimpernel.

He just seems like an intelligent, reliable lad and absolutely nothing like a 15 year old nowadays. He goes to "Crusaders" every Sunday and often notes who spoke. I guess it is this group:

http://www.e-n.org.uk/p-3488-From-Crusaders-to-Urban-Saints.htm

I'm posting this on the Bedfordshire pages as that is where I found the diary.

Paul
Caswell - Durham(Jarrow), Northumberland(Berwick), Dorset(Netherbury)
Drury - Middlesex(Kensington), Shropshire(Oswestry/Selattyn)
Turner - Dorset(Parkstone)
Speight - Essex(Braintree), Kent(Gravesend), Westmorland(Kendal)
Stockley - Dorset(Corfe Castle)
Amey - Suffolk(Haverhill)
Cousins - Norfolk(Ketteringham)
Sears - Bedfordshire(Potton), Cambridgeshire(Gamlingay)
Census information is Crown Copyright

Offline Catherine Bate

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1938 Diary of John H D Bate b1922 Croydon m1956 Camberwell d1968 Leigh
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 March 15 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi
My name is Catherine Bate - I believe the diaries you have are from my father John H D Bate. who was born in London & married my mother Margaret Hamer who he met in Bolton & married in London Although he did not die as you think but 3 years ago. He was living in Watford & his brother lived in Harpenden with his wife until five years ago. It may be when Uncle Clavell's house was cleared the diaries ended up in the auction. From what you have written I believe &  I think the diaries are of my father. I would very mcuh like to have them if they are.
Catherine Bate

Offline Catherine Bate

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 March 15 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul
Its Catherine again. Reading the extracts again I really think the diaries were my father's. He had a brother Cavell & one called Kit. He was born Feb 13th 1922. He married my mother in London at Dulwich college chapel. They lived in Bolton where the were both teachers. My brother & I were born in Bolton my sister in Lake district. We did have an elder sister who did not live. My father moved with his family to Watford in 1968. His elder brother had moved to Harpenden.
If you still have the diaries I would very much like to have them as my father died in December 2011 just short of his 90th birthday. I kook forward to hearing from you.

Offline OldGreyBeard

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 July 16 18:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul,
My sister & cousin told me that you'd found the diaries.

Not sure how they escaped into the wild but wondered if you still have them.
Regards
Peter Bate (the one born in Farnworth in 1959!)