Author Topic: Matthew SLATER/ Jean KING  (Read 16495 times)

Offline Ausjules

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Matthew SLATER/ Jean KING
« Reply #9 on: Monday 04 November 13 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all replies. There seems to be a lot of Slater's in  paisley ;D just wondering Keith if you know if Matthew Slater SNES wife was Jean brown? There was a jean slater working as a grocer in1831. Also wondering if you have any death dates as I have been unable to track them down. Cheers, Julie.

Rusk, hangan, hartley, mccombe, county cavan ireland.  - Knight, hance, surrey  - slater, king, paisley renfrewshire scotland.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi  :)

There are two Matthew Slaters showing in the Wills & Testament section of www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk The dates are the reference dates relating to documents, not death dates.

12/11/1846 - Starcher in Paisley
30/07/1861 - Clerk in Paisley

Matthew, the clerk, I think shows in the Ferrie Household at Seedhill, Paisley Low in 1841. Can't easily see the other Matthew so far in 1841.
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 09:31 GMT (UK) »
For interest I believe that this Matthew Slater/Jean King feature in my own family tree. I have a Peter Forrester Slater (tie manufacture) b. 1817, his father was John Slater (b.1790) and his brother was Matthew Slater. It seems both John and Matthew worked in the starching  trade. Matthew junior was married to Jean King in 1833 as you have it, and his siblings were Maria and Margaret (m. 1832) Michael Houston.

Might there be a mix up with generations/lines?

Is this the John Snr you mention - this entry from 1851:

John Slater 60, Starcher (cotton) (master Emplying 10 Men)
Catherine Slater 60, wife
Margret Slater 34
Jane Slater 30
Mathew Slater 26, starcher
Catherine Slater 21

Address: 31 Gauze St, Paisley Abbey

All the Slater daughters and son show as unmarried as at 1851. This can't be the same Matthew marrying Jean King in 1833 you would think.

Similarly, the Margaret Slater who married a Michael Houston may not be the same as the Margaret Slater above, daughter of John and Catherine, who showed as unmarried in 1851. The Houstons show to have had at least 3 children by 1839, the last I can see being in Argyll. First born son showing as Matthew Slater Houston https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/X14C-VY3 ... so certainly family connections!

But then again, I might have got myself in a tiz with all these Slaters in Paisley with similar first names  ;)

Monica 

Offline Ausjules

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica, thank you so much  ;D I loose track of them after Hamilton street. I know that Matthew senior was a starcher. I have found a Matthew sclater/slater on ancestry that married a jean brown and have no documentation proving them to be Matthew juniors parents, only a hunch. Matthew junior and jean king's first child was Jane brown slater, my GGG grandmother. Slater and King seem to be as popular in paisley as smith and Jones in Australia lol ;)
Rusk, hangan, hartley, mccombe, county cavan ireland.  - Knight, hance, surrey  - slater, king, paisley renfrewshire scotland.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 10:24 GMT (UK) »
What have you got for the early years of Jane Brown Slater? Any census entries?

Monica  :)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Julie, could this be Jane with mother Jane King/Slater in 1841 and 1851?

Jennie Slater 29 Seamstress
Jennie Slater 7
William Slater 4
Margaret Slater 13 b. Scotland
Maria Slater 14

Address: Gauze St, Paisley Low

Wondered whether the Margaret and Maria above were the same that Keith mentioned previously?

And for 1851:

Jane Slater 36, widow, Worker In Thread Mill b. Paisley
Jeanie Slater 16 Worker In Thread Mill b. Paisley
Margt Slater 11 b. Paisley
Elizth Slater 5 b. Paisley
Jeanie Slater 8, niece b. Port Glasgow       

Address: 15 Back Row, Abbey Paisley

Your Jane had left for Australia hadn't she by mid 1850s. I wondered whether this was the Elizabeth showing above as daughter of Jane Snr.

Elizabeth Slater, boarder, sewer, 25 b. Paisley, living at 14 Bridge St, Paisley.

Haven't been able to find any of the other births above to even try to confirm the surname of Jane Snr, from both 1841 and 1851.

Can't see anything on deaths post 1855 and the start of official registration in Scotland for mother Jane King which is a pity. If we have the right census entries for 1841 and 1851, likely she died between 1851-54. Might explain why your gg grandmother then felt able to leave Scotland to start a new life after her mother's death?

But, hey, one step at a time!

Monica

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 11:05 GMT (UK) »
.... I have found a Matthew sclater/slater on ancestry that married a jean brown and have no documentation proving them to be Matthew juniors parents, only a hunch.

See now what you are looking at...looks promising  :)

John Sclater m. Jean Barr 1777

Parents of at least 9 children of which:

Matthew Sclater b. 1781 who m. Jean Brown 1800...who you think are parents of Matthew Jnr b. 7 Jun 1807 (on SP with mother Jean as BROUN).

John Sclater b. 1790 who m. Catherine Forrester?

Monica

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Just had a look at a tree on Ancestry which has the marriage of Jane Brown Slater and her death in Australia. Parents named as Mathew Slater and Jane King. Mathew's occupation is given as lawyer. Does this not mean her father was the writer named above not the starcher?

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Ausjules

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 11:45 GMT (UK) »
The writer Matthew slater junior is Jane browns father, I have his marriage cert to jean king stating he lived in Hamilton st. Then I found him in the 1831 Scottish directory living in Hamilton st with another Matthew slater who was a start her at 19 smith hills along with a David slater, warped. Oh my god Monica  :-* you are amazing, thank you  so much. Jane brown slater b.1834 arrived in Melbourne 1854 on the hornet. I wondered why a 20 yro woman would travel to the other side of the world alone. How terribly sad.