Author Topic: Ann Wise  (Read 6262 times)

Offline Lookin2

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ann Wise
« on: Tuesday 16 July 13 15:30 BST (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,641520.msg4884353.html#msg4884353

I always have trouble using quotes.  I am looking for birth/christening of Ann Wise b/c ab 1812 but I have a Norfolk, Northumberland and Morpeth, Northumberland listed 1861 Census. I don't know if there is a Norfolk in Northumberland or if it is just an error .  Ann later married George Brown date believed to be  26 December, 1836 in London, Middx. at St. Botalph, Bishopsgate, London, England  as given in Family Search.  I really would like to find c/b to confirm.  Thank you, Lookin 2
Howlett, Brown, Woodroofe, Mills, Battey, Woods

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Wise
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 July 13 16:58 BST (UK) »
I am looking for birth/christening of Ann Wise b/c ab 1812 but I have a Norfolk, Northumberland and Morpeth, Northumberland listed 1861 Census. I don't know if there is a Norfolk in Northumberland or if it is just an error . 

Are you referring here to Ann Brown living at Nutford Place, Marylebone in 1861 - census ref RG 9 / 78 / 32 / 58? She is with husband George, a farrier born in France. (It is always a good idea to give the census reference to make it easier for people to find  ;) )

If so her birthplace on the original image is Northumb[erland] Morpeth.
Ancestry have it incorrectly as Morpeth Northamptonshire.
Not sure where you found the reference to Norfolk?
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lookin2

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 July 13 18:12 BST (UK) »
JENB

Yes, Ann Wise M. George Brown. The Norfolk Northumberland must have been a typo given by One Name Studies.. George Brown was Thomas Brown and Mary...son born in France, 1815  while his father Thomas Brown served with The Waggon Train in France.  I have been trying to find info on Thomas Brown whether he served in the army or as a civilian and any  other children that they may have had. I was hoping that a lead may be found on George's M. as no info for his mother other than Mary was listed on George's birth cert. and no rank given fo the father Thomas Brown. I would  also like to confirm that it is Ann Wise that M. George Brown the son.

I do try to give what info I have before making  further requests.  The last three certs. I have ordered all turned out to be the wrong family so I am hoping  to get it right this time and  find out more about Ann Wise' family.  Thank you for your help.  Lookin2 

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 July 13 18:23 BST (UK) »
I see now that the 'Norfolk Northumberland' comes from the 1851 census, at HO 107 /1547 / 397 / 38.
The image clearly says Norfolk Northumberland.

Possibly whoever filled in the schedule asked her where she was born, she said Morpeth and it was heard as Norfolk.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 July 13 18:32 BST (UK) »
Just been looking at your earlier thread.

How do you know that Ann Brown's maiden name was Ann Wise?
Do you have the birth certificates of any of her children?

Offline Lookin2

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 July 13 19:01 BST (UK) »
JENB

It was mentioned in Keyboard's message Friday, 28th March, 2013 quoted above.  It stated "There is a possible Marriage by Banns in 1836/7 If I recall, to an Ann Wise".  I did order a death cert.  for George Brown from Family Search info and it came back "not found"  1841 Mar St. George, Westminster Et2 p. 62  b. 1839 Lookin2

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 July 13 19:38 BST (UK) »
It was mentioned in Keyboard's message Friday, 28th March, 2013 quoted above.  It stated "There is a possible Marriage by Banns in 1836/7 If I recall, to an Ann Wise". 

But that's only a possible marriage.

There's no point looking for a baptism for Ann until you know definitely what her maiden surname was. We could be off on a wild goose chase without first having some positive evidence.

As keyboard suggested here http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,641520.10.html you need to try to get the birth certificate for one of their children to prove her maiden name.

Offline Lookin2

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 November 13 15:19 GMT (UK) »
It was mentioned in Keyboard's message Friday, 28th March, 2013 quoted above.  It stated "There is a possible Marriage by Banns in 1836/7 If I recall, to an Ann Wise". 

But that's only a possible marriage.

There's no point looking for a baptism for Ann until you know definitely what her maiden surname was. We could be off on a wild goose chase without first having some positive evidence.

As keyboard suggested here http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,641520.10.html you need to try to get the birth certificate for one of their children to prove her maiden name.

Just received birth cert. for Mary Anne Brown b. Sept.23rd 1837.  It lists a mother Mary Anne Brown(formerly Worly) and father William Brown (so again I have drawn a blank).  I got my info from Free BMD.  If there is anyone out there who  would like this b. cert just e-mail me.  Thank you Lookin2

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 November 13 21:16 GMT (UK) »
The possible marriage you have , have you actually got the certificate, as the only record I have viewed appears to be the banns, and it looks like they were both widowed, ?
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,