Author Topic: Newport Criminal Justice System: 1853-1871  (Read 1368 times)

Offline Kiki1958

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Newport Criminal Justice System: 1853-1871
« on: Friday 19 July 13 19:19 BST (UK) »
Yesterday, I made a terrible discovery about my Hignell ancestors.  I used the newspaper database in the National Library of Wales, and found my 3rd Great Grandfather, Henry Hignell, was tried in 1853 for beating his wife, almost to the point of death.  The story said Mary Ann Hignell ( only known as Mrs. Hignell in the story) was in poor health ( she had given birth to two daughters in a three year period).  My G3 Grandmother is not in any of the death registers, but is not with the family in the 1861 Wales Census--Henry and his daughters, Mary Jane and Sarah were living with their Aunt, Mary Elizabeth Hignell. 

I wonder if Mr. Hignell murdered his wife?   The odd thing was, I was looking for information about Sarah Hignell when I searched the database.  She must have been traumatized by her childhood because she had two arrests for theft; ( one from her dear old Dad) and was raped in 1870.  No wonder my GG Grandmother, Mary Jane Hignell, moved out of the family home by 1871, married and went to America. 

I would love to find the missing Mother and Daughter.  Any suggestions?  I am sending away for the one death record I found for a Mary Ann Hignell, ( Oxford 1861) but have no idea what happened to Sarah Hignell after her incarceration in 1871.

Online Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Newport Criminal Justice System: 1853-1871
« Reply #1 on: Friday 19 July 13 19:43 BST (UK) »
Possible sighting in 1878 - also from welsh Newspapers system

Mr. Owen (from the office of Messrs. W. J. and H. G. Lloyd) applied on behalf of Sarah Hignell, Vaughan Terrace, Maindee, for a license to sell, by retail, beer and porter, for consumption off the premises. The application was refused.

I can also see an advert from 1868 for 14 Portland St, occupied by Mary Hignell - but think this is the Aunt

Offline Kiki1958

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Newport Criminal Justice System: 1853-1871
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 July 13 20:13 BST (UK) »
I think Sarah Hignell who applied for the license was Mary Elizabeth's Sister, not her Niece.  The younger Sarah Hignell was a prisoner at Usk Gaol in 1871.  You can see her photograph at newportpast.com

Thanks

Hot in Brooklyn, NY