Author Topic: Census entry made me laugh.  (Read 2779 times)

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
Re: Census entry made me laugh.
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 03 August 13 14:50 BST (UK) »
One distantly related member of my family is recorded staying with grandparents and his occupation (poor lad) is given as "bastard"!

Hi,
I wish I kept an article I had a few years ago  ( 3maybe 4 yrs ago ) in one of the  genealogy mags (slightly off topic here, but relevant to the topic) - It was titled  "where  are all the Bastards have gone?" - It was about a living  elderly man in the uk  who was looking for any Bastard's . He is the only one with the surname today in the uk . He' s the only male child ( also is an only child to his parents ) so carried the name - He himself has no children . It was traced back, his father had it, his grandparents had it and so on. Most people who had a surname Bastard - mutated it in recent times ( when I mean recent it was latter half of the 1800's).

Kind regards
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline Meezer

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 03 August 13 15:52 BST (UK) »
Years ago I used to work with a chap who'd been in the navy in WW2 - he had quite a wicked sense of humour. One day he had to announce a visitor on board ship to the captain - visitor handed him a card and was announced as "there's a Bastard to see you sir"!! Cue an indignant visitor spluttering "it's Bass-tard, an old English name"!

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 03 August 13 16:39 BST (UK) »
It was about a living  elderly man in the uk  who was looking for any Bastard's . He is the only one with the surname today in the uk .
There are  67 Bastard's on the ONS names list for England, Wales and the Isle of Mann in 2002. There are 77 in the UK electoral registers 2002 - 2013.
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 03 August 13 18:12 BST (UK) »
In one census I felt mildly outraged to find that a young lady in my tree had been given the occupation of 'Concubine'!   ;D
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 03 August 13 18:17 BST (UK) »
I am reminded of a Scavenger Hunt we had on RC a couple of years or so ago, when we were trying to track down  a man who had abandoned his wife and children and moved to (I think) Cambridge.  The family name was Howell and despite searches in various resources we couldn't find him.  Then,  going through the sheets for a specific area of Cambridge where other relatives lived, I came across him:  Mr Owl.   ;D
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 03 August 13 18:35 BST (UK) »
You might like to take a look through this thread http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=353805.msg2328296#msg2328296 and then its continuation, which kept many of us very happily occupied for several days back in January 2009  ::)  ;D
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 07 August 13 13:56 BST (UK) »
I am reminded of a Scavenger Hunt we had on RC a couple of years or so ago

If you're hunting for scavengers, you will find that at the time of the 1901 census this was the occupation of my great great grandfather Thomas King Spooner.

By 1911 he had gone up in the world a little (but only a little ... )
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright