Author Topic: PEPPERS OF NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  (Read 6407 times)

Offline mothermacree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
PEPPERS OF NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
« on: Sunday 28 July 13 12:04 BST (UK) »
I am searching for any relatives connected with JOHN PEPPER  b 1824 Hyson Green Nottinghamshire who was baptised at St Marys Church of England Nottingham, married there to Mary Hunt had one son John (Samuel) Pepper and then left for England never to return, having married in Australia and making a life with new family there.  He married REBECCA ALDOUS in Australia.  John lived in Radford Nottingham in 1841.
His parents were JOHN PEPPER and ELIZABETH DAVEY who lived Nottingham in Peppers St Radford in 1841 and Adams St Radfor in 1851-1861. Both these parents are buried at St Pauls Churchyard Cemetery in Hyson Green apparently. John owned the 'Cricketer Players Public House' in Radford and was also a lacemaker.  Elizabeth was baptised in St Marys Nottingham.
I also have MARY BRADDATH of Nottingham on my tree, a GGGGGrandmother married to JOHN PEPPER B 1761.
Then there is ANN ARAM b 1738 Clifton with Glapton Nottingham married to SAMUEL PEPPER b 1738 my GGGGG Grandparents.
Any information as to grave sites or pehaps family who may be around the area that would be great as my husband and I are travelling to UK in two weeks time with a view to visiting family connected sites etc.  Would love to hear from anyone who can provide more info.
Cheers
Mothermacree Australia
Scotland: Stewart/Robertson, Buttars, Goodlet (Dad side) Sinclair, Pitcairn (husb lines)
England: Pepper, Albous, Lambkin, Edwards (Mum and Dad side) Pryor, Ramsbottom, Scorgie (my sons' lines) Turner/Turner-Jones (husb lines)
Ireland: Dawson, Cook, O'Brien, Murphy (Mums side)
Finland: Johnson/Johansson, Worstein (Dad)

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: PEPPERS OF NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 July 13 13:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Mothermacree,

Samuel Pepper & Ann Arom (Aram) married at Gotham Church ( just up the road from Clifton) on 25 Nov 1760 both are buried in Gotham Church Yard Samuel on 30 Aug 1814 aged 76yrs and Ann on 25 Sept 1809 there are also 2 daughters buried Ann 15 Aug 1767 and Mary 15 Dec 1767. no age's noted but both daughters of Samuel & Ann. Don't know if there is a grave stone.

There is also a John Pepper buried 5 Nov 1819 aged 60yrs and a Mary 27 Aug 1848 aged 96 both at Gotham Church.

In all I have found 47 burial's at Gotham with the surname Pepper.
NG

Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;
Morral of Stanton By Dale, Derbyshire;

Offline Jack Pepper

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 January 15 16:20 GMT (UK) »
hi  Mothermacree i believe i am related to the Nottingham peppers my name is jack pepper 45years old and  my dad was john pepper.He and my auntie spent some time reserching the family tree :D

Offline mothermacree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 January 15 23:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jack
Thank you for replying to my post.  I am Pamela Johnson and I am the GGGranddaughter of JOHN PEPPER born in Hyson Green Nottingham in 1824. He was married to MARY HUNT and had a child JOHN PEPPER but my GGGF travelled to Australia and met RACHEL ALDOUS on board ship and they later married which meant he was a bigamist by the looks of things as he abandoned his wife Mary and son back in England. My family line stems from that marriage of John and Rachel here in Australia.
His father JOHN PEPPER (GGGGF)was born in Gotham in 1790 and died in 1876 in Nottingham and is buried at St Nicholas Church Hyson Green. Apparently, he owned the Cricketer Players House in Radford.  His occupations on census forms indicate he was a Publican, a Farmer, a Gardener and a Sexton...an interesting array of occupations. He married Elizabeth DAVEY.
So, it will be interesting to see how we are related however I am ecstatic to find someone that is related to my Pepper line.  Would you be interested in corresponding with me with regards to our PEPPER family and swap research information.  I was in England in Aug/Sept 2013 and specifically made the drive through Nottinghamshire with the hope of finding some Pepper information. I was only there for a day so I was limited.  I did find Gotham and it's church and graveyards.  I did find Pepper graves and I took photos of them. I also found another little village near Gotham where there are Pepper graves also, but these are of more recent times so I assumed there were still Peppers living in the area. I took photos of those graves but am not sure who these Peppers are, perhaps you would know or your family would know.  I stumbled across them quite by accident as my husband and I were 'lost' on the highway and took a turn to get off and just drove straight into this little corner of a village with an old church.  The people in the neighbouring house were very nice and helpful and told us there were Peppers buried in the church across from them.  After that we drove to Gotham following their directions.  It was quite a moving time for me and I would have liked to have stayed longer but maybe I'll get another chance again.  Has your research unearthed any old photos of relatives, I would love to see them as that then puts a face to a name. I would be happy to invite you to my Ancestry tree so that you can see my family line yourself.  My email address is reachbell@optusnet.com.au if you would like to correspond. From there I could invite you to my tree via your email or you could ask to be invited if you wish via Ancestry...my family tree is called LAMBKIN JOHNSON EVERSPREADING BRANCHES and I had it private until recently so perhaps you can find it yourself. 
I am interested in hearing more from you and look forward to that.
Cheers Pamela Johnson
Scotland: Stewart/Robertson, Buttars, Goodlet (Dad side) Sinclair, Pitcairn (husb lines)
England: Pepper, Albous, Lambkin, Edwards (Mum and Dad side) Pryor, Ramsbottom, Scorgie (my sons' lines) Turner/Turner-Jones (husb lines)

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 January 15 11:16 GMT (UK) »
"His father JOHN PEPPER (GGGGF)was born in Gotham in 1790 "

Baptism Gotham St Lawrence
13 Feb 1791 John son of John and Mary Pepper.
There are 6 other children baptised to John and Mary Pepper in Gotham. John is the eldest.

Marriage Gotham
29 Nov 1784 John Pepper and Mary Braddath. Although 6 years is a long time before the birth of a first child.
The earliest Pepper burial at Gotham is 1667 Frances wife of Jasper.

Your tree is still showing as Private...
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 January 15 20:05 GMT (UK) »
I also have MARY BRADDATH of Nottingham on my tree, a GGGGGrandmother married to JOHN PEPPER B 1761.

Marriage at Gotham St Lawrence
1784 11 29   John   PEPPER   Mary   BRADDATH   

Baptisms to John and Mary Pepper, all at Gotham St Lawrence
1791 02 13   Son   John      
1792 07 19   Son   Samuel   
1794 10 26   Dau   Sarah   
1797 01 01   Son   Thos.   
1801 01 29   Dau   Eliz.   
1802 04 18   Son   George   
1803 04 10   Son   Edward   

Then there is ANN ARAM b 1738 Clifton with Glapton Nottingham married to SAMUEL PEPPER b 1738 my GGGGG Grandparents

Marriage at Gotham St Lawrence
1760 11 25   Samuel   PEPPER   Anne   AROM

Baptisms for Samuel and Ann
1761 03 10   Son   John            CLIFTON St Mary   
1767 03 29   Dau   Anne            GOTHAM St Lawrence   
1773 11 21   Dau   Elizabeth         GOTHAM St Lawrence   
1781 09 16   Son   Samuel         GOTHAM St Lawrence   

Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline mothermacree

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 January 15 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie
Mary Braddath was my GGGGGrandmother also.  Can I ask which of Mary's children you are descended from?
Cheers
Pamela

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Oh, I'm not related, just trying to help out! (I was quoting you!!)   ;D
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 January 15 10:50 GMT (UK) »
"His father JOHN PEPPER (GGGGF)was born in Gotham in 1790 "

Baptism Gotham St Lawrence
13 Feb 1791 John son of John and Mary Pepper.
There are 6 other children baptised to John and Mary Pepper in Gotham. John is the eldest.

Marriage Gotham
29 Nov 1784 John Pepper and Mary Braddath. Although 6 years is a long time before the birth of a first child.
We are doubling up on these Annie  :o
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley