Author Topic: "Register of Strangers" *COMPLETED*  (Read 11075 times)

Offline Geordie Mag

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Register of Strangers"
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 08 August 13 14:20 BST (UK) »
If you want to follow up Heslops, there are some living in Carham, the parish next to Cornhill on the English side of the Tweed. Among there baptisms is that of Anne Heslop daughter of Ralph, who was baptized on December 24th 1735. Anne and Hannah are often used of the same person, so this could be the lady you want.
The Brady family seem well established in Cornhill (two members of the family were church wardens at different times) and of course William and Hannah married there, so I'm not sure where this Register of Strangers business fits in
Mag
Northumberland: Little, Hogg, Tyers, Reid
Durham: Todd, Lee,
Cumbria: Ross, Ivison, Tyers
Yorkshire North Riding: Pybus, Alderson, Rutherford, Mudd, Wilson
Sussex: Selmes, Ashdown, Freelove, Mitchell

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 08 August 13 19:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you. I did go through the BTs on Familysearch from the start to 1800 noting down every Brady and Heslop I saw, even though I know not all are on there (Mark's baptism isn't, but then again it was presumably his mother who sorted that and if she was a dissenter- there is some debate over that- perhaps that is why). I think I know who Thomas Brady the church warden was, but there are several possibilities for John. All of the Bradys in Cornhill seem to go back to common ancestors- William BRADY x Isabell m.17 May 1707, Cornhill, Northumberland (Isabell has no surname!). I haven't yet explored neighbouring parishes, that's a thing to do at some point.

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 08 August 13 23:41 BST (UK) »
My memory (or lack of it) is very annoying because I was looking at Cornhill PRs just this week and noticed the title Register of Strangers.  There was only two pages and my recollection was that the baptisms did not take place in Cornhill at all.  In my defence I was whizzing through the microfilm to get to the section I needed and didn't take much notice.

Would you like me to look when I go the the archives next week?

Christine

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 08 August 13 23:53 BST (UK) »
Well, I wouldn't say no, Christine  ;D I would appreciate that very much, thank you.

If it weren't for someone looking at the actual entry, I wouldn't have known anything about the register of strangers... Transcripts online are all fine and dandy so long as they actually transcribe them  ::)

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 09 August 13 23:09 BST (UK) »
I've made a note in my book  :)

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 10 August 13 11:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much :)

I'm guessing taking actual images of the entries is a big no-no (without paying, anyway). I'm just thinking that after all the hoo-ha with Mark (and William) Brady's entry in 1799, which still infuriates me to this day  ::) You might recall all the fuss with his mother being Ord/Sord/Sword/Todd/etc... and the different dates of birth (plus the possible twin!). I've had limited luck with this... I've found that Margaret Smith who married William Todd died too early, and never found Margaret x Andrew Sord/Ford (mentioned through a son), but did find a Margaret Watson to Henry Sword m. 27 Oct 1793 Cornhill made all the more intriguing by his burial 20 Sept 1795. I don't know if it would be too much of a cheek to ask if you could take a glimpse at the marriage and burial for more information, if you have time of course. I found the burial on the BT (not the marriage though) so I suspect nothing more is said there, but one must hope...  :-\

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 14 August 13 18:21 BST (UK) »
Good grief!  I have come across some terrible early records in my time but, for a small parish with few entries, Cornhill has got to be the worst.  It’s hardly surprising that there is confusion with your Bradys.

Firstly the Register of Strangers - there was only one page and all those on it were from out of parish (I think I was confusing it with one of the Dissenters entries when I mentioned it earlier).  Odd thing - apart from one couple all the baptisms were for illegitimate births, about 20 or 30 of them spread over about 50 years.  I wondered whether Cornhill was somewhere these girls got sent to so as not to shame the family.

However there was no mention of a Brady in among them.

I have a couple of pages of Brady data which I will need a while to sort through so I will come back later with bits and pieces I picked up.  One thing is certain - they were Presbyterians

I’ll be back  ;)

Christine

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 14 August 13 23:22 BST (UK) »
I hope this is going to be understandable - it’s not been easy to sort it out and I know you already have some of this stuff but I can’t remember exactly what you have.

Firstly the situation with Mark and William Brady 1799.  Personally I think this is the same person.  The first entry is in the main parish records and reads
“Mark Brady born 7/8/1799, baptised 24/8/1799 natural son of William Brady, Shoemaker, Cornhill.  His mother Widow Ord”
The second entry is in the Dissenters section and says
“Wm. Brady born 17/8/1799, baptised 24/8/1799 natural son of William Brady Mark Brady by his mother Margaret sord widow Cornhill”

You have to admit that the wording makes no sense and there is no capitalisation on the word ‘sord’.  These entries are several pages apart and therefore the latter probably written much later - hence the mistakes.

Also in the dissenters section I found -

“11 July 1808 William 1st son of William Brady native of Cornhill Shoemaker by his wife Jane Scote daughter of John Scote native of Cornhill”

“23 April 1812 John 2nd son of William Brady Shoemaker by his wife Jane Scott daughter of John Scott native of Cornhill”

Assuming this is the same William Brady would he have two sons called William even though the mothers were different?

The entry for John also appears in Crookham Presbyterian records along with -

2 Jan. 1817 Eleanora daughter of William Brady Boot and Shoe Maker by bhw Jane Scott at Cornhill

10 March 1822 Hannah daughter of William Brady Shoemaker Cornhill bhw Jane daughter of John Scott

Christine

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 14 August 13 23:23 BST (UK) »
A few other Brady bits - I thought they’d be easier to follow split into sections

William bpt Jan 5 1772 son of William and Hannah Brady of Cornhill
John bpt Feb 27 1778 ditto    ditto

I think you have those but on another page I found -

Jan 10 1772 William the son of Wm. Brady of Cornhill said to be baptised

Although it wasn’t labelled as such this is the sort of wording you expect to see in dissenters records.  Note the disparity in dates.

Possible burials -

Hannah Brady (late Heslop) of Cornhill widow of Wm. Brady Shoemaker died May 18 buried May 20 1800 age 66 - cause Consumption

William Brady buried 27 November 1792 of Cornhill

Jane Brady of Eyemouth buried 2 Oct. 1785

And finally -

I couldn’t find the marriage of Margaret Watson to Henry Sword but Henry’s burial in 1795 was there as you said - no further detail unfortunately

Christine