Author Topic: Birth Record advice  (Read 4497 times)

Offline ostrauts

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birth Record advice
« on: Thursday 08 August 13 15:41 BST (UK) »
Dear All,

I've been tracing my family and wanted some advice on the subject of birth records.  I have located my Great Grandfather on the maternal side and have traced his life's history other than his birth.  His military records state that he was born in Drogheda unyet the census record for 1911 for Ireland states he was born in England.  Having applied for birth certificates there is no trace in either country.

My family have informed me that they always believed he was born in Manchester and he was the first to be born of his siblings prior to his parents getting married.  His birth was listed as 1868/69 and I wondered would there have been a stigma in Ireland for a child born out of wedlock? Would attempts me made perhaps to cover the birth of an illegitimate child?

I did manage to find a boy by the same name as my Great Grandfather in Manchester with the same birth year but living with another family and he looks to have died at the age of three.  But my relative returned to Ireland and married before he passed away in Scotland at the age of 70.

Many thanks.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Record advice
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 August 13 15:43 BST (UK) »
If he was illegitimate then the birth was most likely to be registered under his mother's surname.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Record advice
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 10 August 13 12:24 BST (UK) »
have you look on family search:

http://www.familysearch.org

did he get a pension from the military?

It had a baby before you were married often the child would be brought up by the family and the girl would have to leave.  Or the child would be brought up by other members of the family.  If they were lucky the girl could have her baby and go home.  Often they would go to the mother and child home then the child would be give up.

Have you look for a baptism record?