Author Topic: Westport, Co. Mayo, Ireland  (Read 3205 times)

Offline oldwestport

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Westport, Co. Mayo, Ireland
« on: Friday 09 August 13 12:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm a member of Westport Historical Society (WHS) in Westport, Co. Mayo and I'm working on a book, an illustrated history of the town, to be published next year by WHS. All proceeds from sales of the book will go towards the running of the Clew Bay Heritage Centre, which is operated on a voluntary basis by members of WHS.

I am currently looking for old photos (drawings, paintings, etc.) of Westport people & places, of events which took place in Westport long ago, old Westport businesses & industries, local sports teams, clubs & organisations of the past, etc., etc. Any old Westport image is of interest!

If you have any images of Westport ancestors, or any of the other type of Westport image listed above, I would be very glad to hear from you! Or if you have any questions about the project, I would also be very happy to answer them.

J.Kelly,
Westport Historical Society

Offline GeriK64

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Westport, Co. Mayo, Ireland
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 August 13 10:39 BST (UK) »
Hello,

My grandmother's brother was Dan O'Brien from Westport Quay, he was the local councillor for that area and I believe he had the first public telephone box installed in Westport, i do have a photo of this, and also his obituary from the Mayo News.

We would be delighted if you considered inserting this information in your book.

Geraldine.  :)

Offline aken

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Westport, Co. Mayo, Ireland
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 15 October 13 16:18 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am new to this system of communication so I hope you get this reply. I was searching Westport items, as usual, when I found your post. My grandfather had a Watchmakers & Jewellers shop in Westport back about 1901 to 1915.  I have an old postcard showing the front of the shop along with his name, perhaps you would be interested in it for your book.  I can't put my email address here so perhaps you would contact me & I can give you the details.  A
Hi,

I'm a member of Westport Historical Society (WHS) in Westport, Co. Mayo and I'm working on a book, an illustrated history of the town, to be published next year by WHS. All proceeds from sales of the book will go towards the running of the Clew Bay Heritage Centre, which is operated on a voluntary basis by members of WHS.

I am currently looking for old photos (drawings, paintings, etc.) of Westport people & places, of events which took place in Westport long ago, old Westport businesses & industries, local sports teams, clubs & organisations of the past, etc., etc. Any old Westport image is of interest!

If you have any images of Westport ancestors, or any of the other type of Westport image listed above, I would be very glad to hear from you! Or if you have any questions about the project, I would also be very happy to answer them.

J.Kelly,
Westport Historical Society