Author Topic: Anderson/Fraser-Auldearn  (Read 5039 times)

Offline ValmaiOwens

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anderson/Fraser-Auldearn
« on: Sunday 18 August 13 16:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Does anyone have information on a John Anderson and Elizabeth Fraser who were married in Edinkillie, District of Nairn, 1910?

John Anderson was born in 1861, Elgin, to Alexander John Anderson and Isabella Stalker McArthur. From records I have ascertained that in 1882 he married Christina Paul, born 1862, Auldearn. Christina died in 1889, and John then married an Elsie Grant in 1890. They moved into the Glasgow area and lived there up until Elsie died in 1906.

Elizabeth Fraser, John's 3rd wife, was born about 1879 to Donald Fraser and Ann Mann. In 1937 John Anderson died, and there is a son mentioned on his death certificate, Robert Anderson. I have not been able to find a birth for him recording John and Elizabeth as his parents.

I obtained a copy of his obit from The Forres News and Advertiser, 1937. It simply says, Anderson-At Wester Milton, Moyness, Auldearn, on 15th November, 1937, John Anderson, beloved husband of Elizabeth Fraser, aged 76 years. Further down there is a thank you from Elizabeth. Mrs. Anderson and family return sincere thanks for the many kind expressions of sympathy extended to them in their bereavement. Wester Milton, Moyness, Auldearn.

John Anderson was my great grandfather, and I am very keen to find out the 'family' mentioned in Elizabeth's post. If any one has information they would be willing to share, it would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Valmai

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Anderson/Fraser-Auldearn
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 August 13 23:31 BST (UK) »
The 1901 census shows Elsie as Elsie McP Anderson and as she was 50 at that time - she was too old to have any children.   1901 shows 3 sons born to his first marriage John, James & Alexander

You don't give a date or location for the marriage to Elizabeth Fraser.  If it was before the 1911 census - are any children shown?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline ValmaiOwens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 August 13 01:26 BST (UK) »
The 1901 census shows Elsie as Elsie McP Anderson and as she was 50 at that time - she was too old to have any children.   1901 shows 3 sons born to his first marriage John, James & Alexander

You don't give a date or location for the marriage to Elizabeth Fraser.  If it was before the 1911 census - are any children shown?

Hi Carole,

Thanks for replying.

The 1901 census does indeed show Elsie as Elsie McP, but on the marriage record it shows her as Elsie McLean. I made a mistake in my first post by calling her Elsie Grant. Her father was William McLean and her mother Elizabeth McGregor. She was 40 when she married John, he is listed as 35 which isn't correct. John was born in 1861 so he would have been 29 when they married. Not sure if he may have lied about his age but thinking he may have. Also, there was a another son William born in 1883 to John and Christina, who was left behind in Auldearn with Christina's parents. He later joined his father and brothers in Glasgow, in 1893.

I did mention the year and location where John and Elizabeth were married at the beginning of my previous post. Eleventh of February, 1910, Edinkillie, District of Nairn, County of Nairn. I tried finding them on the 1911 census but didn't come up with anything concrete. I guess I need to look again. Elizabeth was 31 when she married John, and he is listed as being 43. Another inconsistency with his age. He would have been about 49, and his age at death fits in with his year of birth.

Cheers

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 August 13 17:46 BST (UK) »
Apologies for missing the marriage date - need to clean my specs more thoroughly ;D
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline ValmaiOwens

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 22:18 BST (UK) »
Apologies for missing the marriage date - need to clean my specs more thoroughly ;D

No worries - my specs could do with a good clean now and then too ;D

I actually heard back from the Highland Council and they have located John's grave in Auldearn cemetery. I can finally lay him to rest, but as for the son mentioned on his death certificate, he remains a mystery at the moment.

I will take a look at the census records again, but my previous searches don't have a John and Elizabeth Anderson living in Nairn in 1911. Maybe they were living elsewhere at the time or with someone else.

Cheers

Offline Cathall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 09:34 BST (UK) »
Hello Valmai, I believe I have some information for you regarding John & Elizabeth Anderson ( nee Fraser ). If you click on my 2 posts you will see my first post which I replied to under Lost Andersons etc. Kind Regards Catherine.