Author Topic: Samuel Mothersole 1822 Wetherden, Suffolk  (Read 7514 times)

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Mothersole 1822 Wetherden, Suffolk
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 13:54 BST (UK) »
Keziah

Following on from this, Mary Ann Farrow who married John Mothersole had a sister called Elizabeth, who married Jeffrey Crick at Sapiston on 3rd June 1824. In both 1851 & 1861, Mary Ann Mothersole, nee Farrow was living with Jeffery Crick & her sister in Sapiston.

Certainly looks good!

Tom

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 14:03 BST (UK) »
Available in CD from Suffolk Family History Society - check out the online shop on their website http://www.suffolkfhs.co.uk/ 
A lot of the SFHS records are also available via subscription to FindMyPast.

Sorry about the earlier blip.  Good luck

K

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 15:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Keziah

In the 1861 Census, our Samuel states he was born in Hunington, well looking at the map of the Bury St Edmunds area, Honington is right next to Sapiston, so things seem to fall into place don't they. Thanks for the  link to the Suffolk FHS.

Tom

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 16:32 BST (UK) »
Did wonder if it could be Honington as you say it is close by - family seemed to move about a bit as you say he would have gone where the work was.

There are a few Mothersole burials in Honington & also a lot at Ixworth.

The Euston estate is in this area - I suppose he might have been an estate worker living in tied cottages/lbrs accomdation & moving with the work on the estate.  It would have employed a massive work force in those days - it was & still is fairly big.

Some early burials at Euston - Anne Mothersole wife of John buried 13 Apr 1640 (Suffolk Burial Index)

K

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 20 August 13 21:28 BST (UK) »
I had a look for him in the local Bury newspaper but couldn't find anything about him at all, which means he didn't fall foul of the law, was a member of the church or anyone wealthy.

It's been fun searching for him, and there is clearly much to work on, thanks for your help.

Tom

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 26 August 13 16:24 BST (UK) »
Hi

I see that there is a marriage licence which states the following:

Jn. Mothersole, of Gt. Livermere, s. m., & Mary Ann Farrow, of Sapiston, s. w., at same. Surety: Simon Mothersole, of same. 18 Dec 1816.
Book:   12.The Hearth Tax. Charles 2nd.
Collection:   Suffolk: Sudbury - Marriage Licences, 1815-1839

I am trying to interpret this information-so does it mean that Simon Mothersole stood surety that the marriage between Jn (John Mothersole & Mary Ann Farrow) would take place, after he, John had asked Mary Ann for marriage, and the agreement had been made? If so, does this mean that John & Simon were related or knew each other etc? I have seen records of Simon Mothersole in Livermere, it would be easy to think that they were related in some way wouldn't it?

Tom

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 27 August 13 17:27 BST (UK) »
Hi

I can answer my own question now.

John Mothersole was the son of Simon Mothersole, being baptised in Livermere Magna on 21 November 1777 along with his sister Frances.

Simon Mothersole is mentioned in both of their marriages:

John Mothersole, of Gt. Livermere, s. m., & Mary Ann Farrow, of Sapiston, s. w., at same. Surety: Simon Mothersole, of same. 18 Dec 1816. Book:   12.The Hearth Tax. Charles 2nd.
Collection:   Suffolk: Sudbury - Marriage Licences, 1815-1839

Jas. Barker, of Felsham, s. m., & Francis Mothersole, of Livermere Magna, s. w., at same. Surety: Simon Mothersole, gent. 04 Nov 1805.
Book:   12.The Hearth Tax. Charles 2nd.
Collection:   Suffolk: Sudbury - Marriage Licences, 1782-1814

Simon Mothersole was a farmer, don't think he owned his land, but leased/rented it.

The Bury and Norwich Post: Or, Suffolk, Norfolk, Essex, and Cambridge Advertiser (Bury Saint Edmunds, England), Wednesday, February 17, 1802; pg. [1]; Issue 1025. 19th Century British Library Newspapers: Part II.

To be Sold: Two inclosures of excellent Freehold Arable land, containing 16 acres, more or less, lying and being in Great Livermere, in the County of Suffolk; in the occupation of Mr. Simon Mothersole under an agreement which expires at Michaelmas.

Tom

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 29 August 13 12:36 BST (UK) »
Keziah

I still haven't found a John Mothersole with a son Samuel anywhere in Suffolk or Norfolk. I searched on Family Search; with no result; Suffolk Family History Society who are transcribing & publishing baptisms in Suffolk haven't completed those for Thedwastre Deanery in which Honington & Sapiston are situate & although I can send for a complete set of baptisms fiche from Suffolk Archives at Ipswich it may still not bring an answer. Can any help me look for him please?

Tom

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 27 October 13 08:59 GMT (UK) »
Just to keep you updated;

There are no Mothersole baptisms in Honington, I have searched a set of baptisms 1556 to 1900, none at all. There are no Samuel Mothersole Baptisms in Bury St Edmunds parishes at all. FindMyPast has a Samuel Baptism in Woolpit St Mary, born to an Ann & a James Baxter. I wonder if that is an illegitimate birth, so Ann Mothersole is mother & James Baxter, father, & Ann remarries a John.

There is a marriage of a John Frost marrying Ann Mothersole at Saxham in 1825, again of FindMyPast.

Just straw clutching I think.

Tom