Author Topic: 1891 census for Orpington  (Read 1592 times)

Offline jacqui01

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
1891 census for Orpington
« on: Tuesday 14 June 05 22:10 BST (UK) »
Hi there

Could someone please look up the 1891 census for orpington. Im looking for Ada Reeves, daughter of George Reeves, born 1877/8 Orpington.

I would appreciate any help

Jacqui
longhurst, lamb, irvine,pearce, priddy, greensmsith, fletcher,reeves, miller, burnett

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1891 census for Orpington
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 June 05 16:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Jacqui

I can't see her .............. guess she is the one with her grandparents in Orpington 1881 where it says she was born St Mary Cray  ???

Where does she next turn up?

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jacqui01

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 June 05 21:44 BST (UK) »
Hi there

Yes you are right. Ive checked on the 1881 census and it does say  St mary Cray. Sorry about that. The address was Orpington.

Ive checked the 1901 census and no luck.  The only time Ive got a positive is on my grandparents marriage certificate in March 1903.  Ada Reeves was my grandmother.  All I can gather from the certificate is her  age (25) and her father George who was a commercial traveller. Her address is the same as my grandfathers - living together in 1903!! I wonder.

Any ideas where I can go from here.

Regards

Jacqui
longhurst, lamb, irvine,pearce, priddy, greensmsith, fletcher,reeves, miller, burnett

Offline Wattsy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 June 05 19:05 BST (UK) »
Hi

Just thought I would let you know that St Mary Cray is now a small village just outside Orpington. However, until then, St Mary Cray was the more important of the two villages.  With the coming of the railways in the 1900`s Orpington became a much more important town.

It is possible therefore that although someone could have been born in Orpington, St Mary Cray may have been put down as it was the larger and more important of the two areas.

Even today there is confusion over where Orpington ends and St Mary Cray starts.  If you would like any more history regarding the area please contact me.

Wattsy